Sabre Light Enquiry

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
Results:

Jeff Pearce - warned off for 3 years
Geoff Huffer - warned off for 3 years
Jerry O'Dwyer - warned off for 18 months

Only taken them 2 years to come to this conclusion.

Blimey - about time too! At least it seems the BHA are taking these offences seriously now. As Jeff Pearce has already had time out (courtesy of HMP), I wonder if Lydia will take over the yard again?

Others were warned off too Jinny which might interest you (think you mentioned some connected to the case had other Newmarket connections when this came to light).

I wonder if Mark Benton (one of the others warned off) is the same fella who owns todays' winner Shared Moment.

Presumably Lydia will take over the licence which I think she did during his jail sentence.

Interesting stuff Arkwright - also some adverse publicity for the Nationwide Building Society too, they won't be happy with this outcome.

Others were warned off too Jinny which might interest you (think you mentioned some connected to the case had other Newmarket connections when this came to light).

Can you pm me a link to who was, IS - think I can guess a few!

Why was Pearse attending as a guest if Her Majesty previously and how is the Nationwide Building Society involved. Very interesting case - what were they at?? Very strong from the BHA - I'd hate to see what would happen over here in Ireland?? I suppose no reason to think it's happening here though!!;):whistle:

Mark Benton is the actor in the Nationwide Building Society advert as well as a few TV dramas. Presume this is a different Mark Benton though OTB.

Pearce was done for causing death by careless driving when under the influence of alcohol in 2001.

We'll likely see a family member take over the license and as one pundit recently said of a recently returned warned off jockey "this could be the making of him" - maybe the same will happen with Jerry.

The piece in RP about it today was worth the price of the paper. Dual classic winning trainer, 30,000 sovs, fairytale elements, a 4X4 driving gypsy and "Gestapo-like" interview tactics.

Sounds like they modelled it on a Dick Francis novel! I imagine the BHA was also highly displeased by Banham's 'ard man attitude to the investigating officials. That sort of guff always fails to amuse.

The Lingfield WRSO has told me today that they are all barred from entering any racecourses for the length of their bans, but in the case of the two trainers and Jerry O'Dwyer, they are also barred from entering any horse-racing establishment, such as stable yards. O'Dwyer is thus barred from being allowed to do any riding-out for the next 18 months.

O'Dwyer is thus barred from being allowed to do any riding-out for the next 18 months.

He has a licence and a five year work visa in the states. He won't be back for a long time.

Last edited:
Jerry will be seething at not being allowed on British racecourses - he's carving out a nice career for himself (as Fergal did) in the States.

Good work rider out there by all accounts and as a well respected British jockey that carries a lot of weight with some trainers.

Good work rider out there by all accounts and as a well respected British jockey that carries a lot of weight with some trainers.

Surely it's bad for jockeys to carry a lot of weight?

Last edited:
Could we import a sarcasm emoticon? Perhaps one with a wry wink or knowing smirk? A bit less cheery than this little feller... ;)

Back