Sam Twiston -D

LUKE

Senior Jockey
Now first jockey to Nigel -Paddy Brennan will continue to ride for stable.Not
surprised at the news but thought it would be another year.
Cornelius Lysaght is the source.

Paddy Brennan has quit his job as No 1 jockey to the Gold Cup-winning trainer Nigel Twiston-Davies.

The rider, who won the 2010 running on the stable's Imperial Commander, resigned after finishing fifth on Briefcase for Twiston-Davies in a handicap hurdle at Ludlow.

The split comes after weeks of speculation about increased tensions between the pair as Twiston-Davies handed more opportunities to his teenage son Sam, a promising young rider.

In the last two weeks, 18-year-old Sam, who is clear leader in the race to be champion conditional jockey, has ridden 27 of the stable's 50 runners with Brennan partnering only 14.

Sam is booked to ride the stable's only runner on Friday, Goonyella, in the Bumper at Stratford.

Sam's 16-year-old brother Willie has also taken his first steps on a career by riding as an amateur for the stable.

Brennan, 29, who was unavailable for comment, has spent four seasons with Twiston-Davies. Among his other big winners have been Imperial Commander in the 2010 Betfair Chase and Hello Bud in the 2009 Scottish National.

Yet dual Grand National winner Twiston-Davies still seemed to think a link could be salvaged from the affair when he said: 'It will just be more of an open arrangement, like an open marriage Paddy will not always be having first shout.

'If he gets a better offer from someone else, I will not stop him riding.'

Brennan, 29, who was unavailable for comment, has spent four seasons with Twiston-Davies. Among his other big winners have been Imperial Commander in the 2010 Betfair Chase and Hello Bud in the 2009 Scottish National.

I'm sure there was another race he won on IC, small affair at Cheltenham last year??

Last edited:
this was always on the cards, it's a little early for him to become number 1 though in my opinion,
I'm not supprised that paddy has had enough of loosing rides, due to the quest of Sam realing in the conditional jockeys title,
let's see if the owners will favour a relatively inexperienced jockey with no claiming allowance
next year!

Last edited:
I think it's a raw enough deal for Paddy-the stable was in the doldrums when he took the job.I understand the need to support family but will Sam ever be as good a jockey as Paddy.

agree with you luke. Brennan is a good jock, he should still do well next yr though, Im sure ther ewill be some good rides for him somewhere.

Err...read the first two paragraphs of the article?

Doh, indeed, just seemed strange that they haven't had more high profile recent success to mention.

Definitley a boost for trainers looking for a decent freelance, am sure Paddy won't be short of offers.

agree with you luke. Brennan is a good jock, he should still do well next yr though, Im sure ther ewill be some good rides for him somewhere.

There is a large stable who have had 4 Cheltenham Festival winners in the past 2 years, but its stable jockey has not been on any of them and he himself has not had a Festival Winner in 2 years.

Hopefully Brennan will end up there but I wouldn't hold my breath!!

Presumably that's a reference to the Pipe/Scudamore combo.

Don't know if Tom George would quite have the ammo but would imagine Brennan would continue his ties with that stable.

Pipe/Brennan would be interesting . Scudamore is simply not good enough at the top level.

I think NTD is being slightly disingenuous surely he must have realised the preference he was giving Sam was unsustainable for Brennan .

Consider midlands national day 6 rides for Sam at Ffos Las and one outsider for Brennan at Uttoxeter

This has seemingly been the unofficial arrangement for some time with Sam often on the shorter priced horses and Brennan riding a 25/1 stablemate. Personally think he should have stuck with Paddy Brennan who has much more experience and is better in a finish IMHO.

The arrangement down at Pipe's must surely suit both Scudamore and David Pipe, this year Buena Vista was an outsider with a claiming jockey on when the yard had the favourite (ridden by the stable jockey) and his other winner came in an Amateur Riders race, last year Buena Vista again won at a decent price (Scudamore on a 33/1 stablemate in the race) whilst the other Pipe festival winner was ridden by the owners retained jockey. Don't see what TS could have done about any of those mind.

Paddy has always been one of my fav jocks and has more talent than baby twiston will ever have. Would love to see him with pipe but scu fits in well there and doesnt rock the boat. They are extremely loyal to him as he is to them, something that is vital to them after the AP, dunwoody, and Bridgewater end games. Now David Johnson has fucked off to Nicholls as the grass seems greener, they are happy to keep things lower key and their in house jockeys are extremely able in their own right

In the winners enc at Cheltenham, Scu was as pleased for all after Junior won than anyone else. Its one huge team down there, under the radar at last like they used to be in the early days and far less pressure

Last edited:
Is it just me [and I'm far too old to think such things, alas] but I think he's rather fanciable..Brennan, that is, not young Sam.

Don't get me wrong, I don't fancy him!!!! Paddy's a nice bloke (not that I know him well at all) but renowned for being a nutter. Life wouldn't be boring around him I guess!

Paddy has always been one of my fav jocks and has more talent than baby twiston will ever have. Would love to see him with pipe but scu fits in well there and doesnt rock the boat. They are extremely loyal to him as he is to them, something that is vital to them after the AP, dunwoody, and Bridgewater end games. Now David Johnson has fucked off to Nicholls as the grass seems greener, they are happy to keep things lower key and their in house jockeys are extremely able in their own right

In the winners enc at Cheltenham, Scu was as pleased for all after Junior won than anyone else. Its one huge team down there, under the radar at last like they used to be in the early days and far less pressure

Interesting view Harry and I agree with some of your points.

If I was an owner bringing new horses in to the yard, I wouldn't want Scudamore on board. This has been the scenario with David Johnson for some time and also Thomas Barr (Osana) and to some extent Roger Brookhouse.

IMO, if the object of the game is to try and win egg and spoon races at Newton Abbot then the status quo should prevail, however, if Championship Races are the target I would look elsewhere.

You only have to look at the Henderson yard to see how a top class jockey has improved the yard in terms of prizes won and quality of horses.

Totally agree and because scu puts up with this its win win for all concerned. Just dont think they want the hassle of jockey egos down there, likewise I'm still convinced that Martin still a huge player down there and David is the public face

Last edited:
Another blow today for NTD, his head lad Fergal O'Brien who has been doing well in the PTP field is leaving to set up as a trainer himself.

Another blow today for NTD, his head lad Fergal O'Brien who has been doing well in the PTP field is leaving to set up as a trainer himself.

This has been brewing for a while as well as Brennan walking or being pushed, and in my opinion it is not a coincidence in the timing of O'Brien's announcement.

Back