Sandown Query

Harbinger

At the Start
Thinking of going to Sandown for the first time for the Eclipse on Saturday week.

Bearing in mind the prices appear to be:

Premier Enclosure: £37
Grandstand Enclosure: £24

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's worth stumping up for the Premier Enclosure, or is the Grandstand pretty good for viewing and getting back and forth to the parade ring?

It's not essential to be in the premier enclosure although if you don't you wouldn't be able to access the walkway that horses use to come out onto the track and some of the stands.

Easy enough to get back to the paddock from wherever you stand,would be more tricky to get a good posse back in the winners enclosure after the race though.

A favourite track of mine, some of the best viewing lines in racing. Grandstand is better than most premier enclosures anyway. Couldn't tell you about the Eclipse (conjestion wise) only ever used the course for Tingle Creek. Grandstand tends to be about 10 degrees colder in the winter than the paddock (also one of the best around). Use the train if possible, getting away from the place is a pain. I tended to park at Hersham or one of the commuter stops (normally free at weekends) and then take the train to Esher. Wouldn't put anyone off Sandown though, the pick of the London tracks imho

Last edited:
Don't they do a deal which includes food & drink too? I did that on Brig Gerrard evening and I was very impressed by it and the facilities. I'd stump up for the Premier myself, the extra yards near the finish line are probably worth it and you have more room in the grandstand.

As Warbs says, cracking track.

Definitely worth a visit whichever stand you are in.

Probably has the best paddock in the country apart from Cheltenham.

They also have the straight five furlong track in the centre of the course that you can go and watch those races from.

It's worth bearing in mind that Tatts will be rammed full of pissed up lager louts - Sandown seems especially good at providing those. I'd definitely go for the members enclosure.

Worth paying the extra - plenty of room no matter how busy and an easy walk from pre parade to parade ring to round the front to watch the racing, with access to the entire length of the horse walk. My favourite track.

It's worth bearing in mind that Tatts will be rammed full of pissed up lager louts - Sandown seems especially good at providing those. I'd definitely go for the members enclosure.

That would be the main reason I'd go for Premier. It's an amazing track, just so much common sense in how it works and is set up. Not sure is there a better viewing track in Britain. It was my local track till i left England and enjoyed many a good day there (Eclipse last year was great, as was Notnowcato's) - enjoy your day.

Thanks a million everyone - made it an easy decision. Looking forward to it even more now.

I did indeed. Everyone had a great time, actually, with the caveat that things may have been different if Sea The Stars hadn't won. Note to BHA: backing winners makes people like racing :p

Thinking of going to Sandown for the first time for the Eclipse on Saturday week.

Bearing in mind the prices appear to be:

Premier Enclosure: £37
Grandstand Enclosure: £24

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's worth stumping up for the Premier Enclosure, or is the Grandstand pretty good for viewing and getting back and forth to the parade ring?

maybe its the prices IS :blink:

I tell you what Gareth, I hope you get some winners to cover those fees..its obviously a long tme since I've visited a racecourse:lol:

this is more like good value

Zeppelin1973stub.jpg

it was 1973 though :D

Last edited:
Can only reiterate much of the above but on most days the difference between members and grandstand is barely worth worrying about. far less pronounced than most courses.

On eclipse day grandstand has become increasingly busy in recent years but is not uncomfortable. I have not found it bad for drunks at all

if driving, i wouildnt go as far as warbler's trek at all. theres a car park just to the right off the high st as you go slightly past the course which is accesible and easy to get away from after the races. But its a nice course to arrive at from london by train. The walk across the track is a great way to arrive

A great track by anyones standards

Cheers. I'll be getting the train out of Waterloo, so should be pretty painless.

I tell you what Gareth, I hope you get some winners to cover those fees

You and me both!

Back