Sandown Thursday

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Cheers Gearoid and Galileo. He's a horse I think does himself no favours.

Regarding Dinkum Diamond, I see no reason for him to be better at 6f than 5f on that display.

Last edited:
The Rectifier is a big price in the 8.20 given the runaway success of his Folkestone win and the time was simply outstanding. Don't think it's as strong a race as the market would have you believe.

Also think Akmal is a decent bet in the 1m6f race but the price has gone a bit now.

Great tipping, hope the Akmal winnings make up for the heartbreak.

I'm off there tonight, if anyone wants to meet up, drop me a PM.

The Rectifier is a big price in the 8.20 given the runaway success of his Folkestone win and the time was simply outstanding. Don't think it's as strong a race as the market would have you believe.

Also think Akmal is a decent bet in the 1m6f race but the price has gone a bit now.

It's more an issue of what will beat GH for me, 9/4 seems a fair price.

This forum can be pure gold dust at times. Great shout, very unlucky. Had a decent bet ew @ 33/1 and thought we were home for all money.

thought Satapadi was a bit green, his behaviour on the way to post did his chances no favour whatsoever. He is the one to take out of the race isnt he??

great tipping lads!

Sandown are whinging about the poor attendance levels . I know here is an idea put the meeting back on Bank Holiday Monday .

The BG was always in the evening, but the other good races were on the BH monday. Why they scrapped that ill never know. It was a cracking fixture with a really good crowd

There were more there last night than last year though

The Rectifier was one of the most sickening experiences I've had on a racecourse.

After-Timing Alert!!! - Especially as I'd had an EW Double with Akmal at 50s and 16s on Wednesdays prices...

The Rectifier was one of the most sickening experiences I've had on a racecourse.

After-Timing Alert!!! - Especially as I'd had an EW Double with Akmal at 50s and 16s on Wednesdays prices...

thats really gutting...you won't forget this one i doubt

i remember a combi bet i had in the 90's..it was five horses..first 4 won..good prices 7s 8s etc..last one last by half a length..yes i won a good bit..but had last one won it would have been mega bucks

took me ages to stop thinking about it

Sandown and Evenings...

I couldn't attend last evening but was interested to read in today's RP that while they got 5,000 or so (compared with about 3,000 for the previous Thursday) the track are expecting 15,000 for next Thursday's meeting which has inferior quality racing but the small matter of a Spandau Ballet concert after racing.

Last evening admission was £20 for the Premier Enclosure which I thought was excellent for the card on offer - next week it'll be £32 (£27 in the Grandstand).

I'm left with the uncomfortable thought that evening racing and concerts are now inextricably linked. To try and have an evening meeting without music simply doesn't bring in the crowds no matter how good the racing is. Stick a concert on and the racing becomes almost immaterial.

I couldn't attend last evening but was interested to read in today's RP that while they got 5,000 or so (compared with about 3,000 for the previous Thursday) the track are expecting 15,000 for next Thursday's meeting which has inferior quality racing but the small matter of a Spandau Ballet concert after racing.

Last evening admission was £20 for the Premier Enclosure which I thought was excellent for the card on offer - next week it'll be £32 (£27 in the Grandstand).

As I said on the Racing For Change thread, not only was it £20 (Brighton charged £19 for Premier today to watch horses that could barely put one foot infront of the other) but if you booked in advance it was £15 or £25 with a £10 food & drink voucher and £10 betting voucher. There were also offers for RUK subscribers, Facebook fans and I think Coral gave people free entry if they bought Eclipse tickets through them?

I just don't know what else they could've done. Probably would have worked doing some promotional work at Waterloo and Victoria stations during rush hour over the last week and emphasise how close it is.

Also, the fact that it's on a "work night" doesn't help matters, there should be more weekend evening fixtures. People on here have suggested moving the Oaks to the evening before and moves like this should be encouraged.

I suspect if they put it back on the Monday and promoted it as a relatively cheap across the board fee they would be packed to the gunnels .

It is true that it used to be a 2 day meeting and the second day was switched to an evening but the Brigadier Gerard was on the Monday daytime throughout the 1970s and 1980s at least .

It used to be , a really big deal meeting on that Monday - a 2 yo fillies maiden which often turned up the Queen Mary winner followed by the Brigadier Gerard , a competitive Whitsun Cup and then the Temple Stakes with the Henry II on the Tuesday .

Those were the days - I remember Sharpo hurtling to victory at a big price and Gunner B and Uncle Pokey battling it out in the Brigadier Gerard and the brilliant and aptly named Precocious scorching home in the National Stakes.

Gamla, you had access to the RP online the night before the Brighton card today, so why on earth did you go - just in order to bitch on here about paying £19? I take umbrage at your remarks, quite honestly. If you don't know the type of track that Brighton is by now, you really ought to take up knitting or something that will prove more soothing to you. It's mostly Class 5 and 6 fare, with a few really good races sprinkled in, like the Brighton Mile and the Brighton Rocket. What I take umbrage at is that you dismiss a 2 y.o. race which was won by a debut PIVOTAL colt owned and bred by Cheveley Park, closely attended by a Clive Brittain and Mick Channon horse. These weren't grizzled old handicappers which have flogged themselves round Wolverhampton too many evenings to mention. The previous day, TWO FEET OF SNOW, by HOLY ROMAN EMPEROR, cornered a Weatherbys £10,000 bonus cheque in her 2 y.o. race. If you think those are horses who can't put one foot in front of the other, then I think your judgment's a bit skew-whiff, sir.

As I said elsewhere, why - as you seem to have some connections to some handicappers, don't you? - join the ROA for a mere £195 (much less than many courses' annual memberships), then their FREE Owners' Badge Scheme (assuming you've got up to 50% in assorted horse bits), and attend all courses for free throughout the year?

Let me ask you - if the entrance had been a fiver, would you still pay it to see the horses you're so rudely dismissive of? If the answer's yes, then it's apparently the state of your pocket, not the quality of the racing, that's the issue.

Next time, please, please give Brighton a miss and go somewhere really top-class like Kempton or Wolverhampton.

Last edited:
Back