Saturday 25th May 2024

yorick

Conditional
Did you see how much ground Swinging London was making approaching the post, which came just too soon? Race riding: off the slow action, if jockey Breslin had been a bit closer to the pace, he would have given the horse more time to pick up. I think the reason the colt wandered up the straight was because he was being asked to quicken faster than he was able. Ew so no damage.

The Gods are toying with the weather once more and, as a result we are seeing:

Chester - Sft – G/sft in places
Haydock – Sft – Sft /Hvy
Cartmel G/sft – Sft in places
Goodwood – Good – G/f in places
York – G/sft
I have some fancies today and, having checked with the above, I’m reasonably confident that all my selections, bar one*, will handle conditions at the respective courses.

Tiger Ten – 2.55 Chester 8/1 Ew 4 places 365

Although 3Lbs ‘wrong’ in the handicap, I like the look of this one, who is below his LWR, handles the ground and distance and is fitted with the first-time pieces.

Adjuvant – 3.10 Goodwood 7/1 Ew 3 places

I like the look of this one’s form, especially his second to Sweet William over c/d at level weights last August. Has had a prep race, where he had a good blow and I’m hopeful.

Euchlen Glen – 3.30 Haydock 16/1 Ew 4 places 365e

I was going to choose Zimmerman, who I thought was progressive last term, but a big ask for this one to jump from his winning C4 form to this Cl2. Euchlen Glen, although an 11yo, has winning form over c/d, going and Cl2. At 16/1, I think it represents better value.

Boardman – 4.05 7/1 Ew*

It’s a teaser, this one. The question is, of course, the going but he has won on the surface before so I suppose I have to trust that. At any event, put in a good prep for this at the last Chester meeting, the same prep as last year and returns with a lower OR.

4 x Singles
Ew L15

Salamanca Bay – 6.15 Cartmel 4/1 win

Despite Ben Haslam’s fantastic course figures ( He throws Tedtwo into this handicap chase for his chase debut), I take my listed horse to take advantage of an excellent price here.

A bumper crop, despite the usual Saturday conundrum.

Here’s hoping for, at least, runs for my money.

Last edited:
Back