Saturday 30th December 2023

yorick

Conditional
The last Saturday of the year and some decent racing.

Having said that, it's a shame that one of my go0to bets is a nr - of course. There are still a few worthy of mention.

Firstly:

Collector's Item - 1.25 Haydock 3/1 Win

I backed this last when it was 7/4 and I see that so far this morning, it has drifted to the present 3/1. Good. I'd rather that than a daytime shortening. My notes on this one are as follows:

08/12/23 Sandown 3m Soft Class 3) H/cap chase 3m37y Soft

"A lightly-raced 6yo, he’s only had 8 rules races and just 2 chases previous to this. Really, it was quite remarkable how much ground he made up at the end: a wet sail indeed.
They’ve turned to chasing very quickly and he may well be worth following over 3m and maybe marathon trips; he does look like a right stayer to me although, it must be said, the breeding wouldn’t suggest so.
Just a note. He went to Uttoxeter in March last over 3m hurdles, where he stayed on. It made me think that the Midlands National might be possible. Trainers says the horse needs softer ground."

So, here we are going over that 'marathon' of 3m 4f on soft ground. As I wrote, the breeding doesn't suggest the trip but my notes seem to point in the right direction and I have no hesitation in backing this today.

Passing Well - 15.25 Newbury - 16/5 win

I noticed this one on his chase debut in early November and my notes tell me:

"04/11/23 Ascot (Class 3) (4yo+) (2m2f175yds) 2m3f Soft 16 fences

It’s no easy introduction to fences, Ascot. This was run at a good clip and the jumping was excellent; he measured those tricky fences well.
I think Kempton might suit, in passing.

30/11/23 Lingfield G/Sft 2m4f (Class 4) Novices' Handicap Chase

Dropped in class but with top weight, at one point this looked unlikely but two things helped him to the win: Courage and jumping. He jumped faultlessly and kept on finding when the jockey asked the question(s). Won 9/4"

Up three pounds for the last win, I feel inclined to follow again: there could be more to come; I love a horse that jumps and wants to win.

Lastly, I have a liking for one I noted last season and who hasn't run for 235 days and is trained by one that's had no winner for 10 days. No worries, I say.

Moodofthemoment - Taunton 1.35 16/1 Ew Bog

If you were looking for one to back in a 3m novice chase, this would immediately attract. By Shantou out of a Saddlers Hall mare, what more would you want. One thing is sure: this class 5 novice handicap chase will not take much winning and, again, I have no hesitation in including Moodofthemoment in today's selections.

Elsewhere, I have a little fancy for Step Above - 2.00 Haydock, who looks bred for the job and is blinkered for the first time and ran 2nd to a favourite of mine, Autonomous Cloud, last time out.

Back