Saturday 6th April 2024

yorick

Conditional
Just the one, uninspiring meeting over the jumps today at Uttoxeter and more of the heavy ground that is now a matter of course.

It’s a day where I have a horse running from my alerts and I’m dying to back it but, in all honesty, I should leave it alone:

Fine Casting - 3.20 Uttoxeter 11/4

It couldn’t help but put this fellow into my notes after his run at Ascot earlier on. He really did make up ground after the last behind easy winner Kotomask. That was over 2m but the breeding suggests the minimum trip is totally inadequate. He’s by Shantou and the grand sore gets staying horses so that points to a 3m trip being required. Looking at his career thus far, it’s a wonder that they haven’t tried the 8yo over that distance.

Today they at least up him to 2m4f, which is better but, really, I should wait until they give him a proper trip. Interesting that they leave the pieces off too.

So, although the ground will suit Fine Cast, I would expect Mr Moores favourite to oblige here and think bottom weight and total outsider Carbon King would be capable of a surpise even though his stuttering ppp’s don’t inspire confidence.

Annoyingly, I will have a smidgeon on FC but only because I wouldn’t want to miss out: you know how it is lol

So, my feeling the ‘Complete outsider, Carbon King, ‘Who would be capable of a surprise’, wins at 16/1.
Fine Casting finishes second and shows that he certainly will benefit from a step up to 3m.

Back