Saturday Seconds?

barjon

Conditional
Let’s see if I can find a cure for seconditis today (the Chester Blogs mentions went: 22WL22WNR22 - needless to say the two winners passed me by). Can’t say I’m much in tune at the moment with the old memory banks running out of juice. Often have to work really hard to remember horses and how they go, so I’m getting writer’s cramp committing it to paper (or should I say prodder’s cramp committing it to screen 😊 ). Anyway on to the business in hand.

First up the Victoria Cup - 2:40 - lots of old favourites in this and I know I shouldn’t really play. However, Hickory ran well last time as a prep for this and fairly sure he’s one who is up for it (there will be others 🙃 ), but not too keen on the draw. Will have a small each way for fun.

3:45 Ascot - Midair has come second in his last three races (odds-on last two) and looked suspiciously like he didn’t want to go in front. It’s his handicap debut today and although he probably doesn’t have an over-favourable mark, he’s up in distance which might suit.

3:00 Lingfield - Meydaan is another who is up in distance a couple of furlongs in The Derby Trial Stakes and I’ll be interested to see how he copes. He’ll need to go some to beat the two at the head of the market and it’s a watching brief unless the market calls. He was 10/1 early price which didn’t last long and 8/1 at the moment.

2:10 Haydock - Silent Move is the rank outsider, but I think he’ll show considerable improvement on his disappointing seasonal opener where I don’t think he was ready. I would like to see some money coming for him, though.

Last edited:
A 28/1 winner is a rare beast for me, so pardon me for getting excited. I expected a far better run, but for Silent Move to make all like that and at that price was a tad special.

Hickory ran a good race into 4th, without looking as though he could do better than that. And this wouldn’t have helped - “It was noted that in the final furlong, HICKORY (IRE), placed fourth, was momentarily denied a clear run and shortly after Lewis Edmunds, the rider of MUSTAJAAB, unplaced, struck HICKORY (IRE) once over the nose with the whip, but after viewing a recording of the incident, it was considered to be accidental.”

Midair
tried to come through from the back against the rail, no go and no go again until it was too late. Worth another chance. “Following the race, William Buick reported that MIDAIR, placed fourth, was repeatedly denied a clear run for a sustained period in the home straight.”

Meydaan
ran ok, but I think he’ll struggle at the top table. Needs sights lowered a bit.

Last edited:
Yup. Great winner there, Beej.

I've just looked at Midair's race where my Global Skies was running and he didn't find much once in the clear, did he, to be honest. Not one of Buick's best, was it. Off that slow pace, the last place you need to be is out the back; same with Global Skies. Midair's a full brother to Modern Look, one of O'Meara's. It seems possible that Midair might be better if they dropped him back to 1m. That might make sense because he seemed to be going well but didn't find much in the last furlong. That's how I saw it, mate.

Back