Saturdays Racing

Irish Stamp

Forum Moderator
Just a few thoughts on the days racing. Main disappointment for me is that Jealous Again doesn't turn out in the Cornwallis.

Irish Heartbeat (3:45 York) was conceding 7lbs last time he took on Toufan Express two weeks ago at The Curragh. He finished fourth on the day but will be receiving a pound this time - interesting that David Myerscough has booked William Buick to ride this time around and judged on todays racing down the sprint course then the stands rail is the place to be (IH is drawn 14 of 20) and prior to the run at The Curragh he hadn't been beaten far by Portland Handicap winner Santo Padre ina competitive event. Wouldn't rule out Parisian Pyramid at a big price, particularly from a rails draw and with Adrian Nicholls on board.

Down at Ascot the interesting horse for me in the big 12f handicap is Inventor for Brian Meehan and Jimmy Fortune. He was fourth in this a year ago (Pevensey third and given his connections undoubtedly lined up for a tilt at this) and his run at Kempton had all the hallmarks of a prep run. If he retains his ability from last season when The Betchworth Kid and Laterly were amongst his victims in addition to a beating of less than a length by group performer Armure then at 20/1 he should run a big race.

Anyone any other thoughts on the days racing?

I like Parisian Pyramid too. 6f on ground softer than good looks ideal. Shouldn't be 25's on his run behind Swiss Diva in the Reg Griffin over CD.

Could someone please post the tissue or current betfair price for NOBLE ALAN Hexam 2.10.

Thanks Luke. Good thing of the day. Id be happy with 4-5 with the books tomorrow.

Thanks Luke. Good thing of the day. Id be happy with 4-5 with the books tomorrow.

Class is Class is a horse I fancied strongly last time, with a concern over the trip that day. Up in trip tomorrow I would certainly have him in mind for any bets in the race, that's for sure.

There seems to be money around for Classic Vintage and Opinion Poll at best prices this evening, these two have previous form together and both have been seen to good effect with some cut. Of the others Magicalmysterytour is a horse that would seem to have one of these big handicaps in him, but if it came down to a battle between him and Class is Class I'd expect the latter to prevail.

I've managed to mention 4 of the runners there, including the probable first two in the market, I hope I've mentioned the winner!

The Group 3 sprint looks very difficult to me. A market move for Enderby Spirit had me dig into his form a little. His run when about a length behind Total Gallery at Newmarket in July looks pretty good after TG's French exploits last weekend. He was a neck behind the same horse over C&D back in April and has a couple of good runs with cut to his name, worth a poke at 33/1.

Another outsider that's caught the eye in the market, this time at York, is Confuchias. A decent 2yo in Ireland he moved on to Karl Burkes yard, via one run for Walter Swinburn. He won off a rating of 101 on the AW at Kempton, beating Mac Love. Up to Listed company after that conditions race success, he struggled to confirm the form with Mac Love, stepped up to 7f. A seemingly unsuccessful stint in Dubai has seen him now in the care of Pat Eddery. He had his first run for the stable 2 weeks ago and having reviewed the race, it probably wasn't as bad a run as it might seem on paper. He travelled well into the race, failing to quicken when asked by his rider, but not given the most punishing of races once his chance was gone. If I were looking for a horse to have a good reappearance after 7 months away from the track, with a valuable handicap in 2 weeks time in mind, it wouldn't be the worst run I've ever seen. Dropped a further 2lb for that run last time out, I'd be hopeful of some improvement in it's performance tomorrow. The jockey booking is a big negaitve for me, but at 40/1 I think we're being compensated for that.

A couple of speculative punts for me then and a fistful of selections for the Heritage Handicap at Ascot, good luck whatever you're punting!

The consistent Tamagin 2.55 has notbeen the luckiest with the draw recently, several times 'winning' on his side. Could have done without the rain but a win bet with place to cover stake for me. I really liked Record Breaker 3.30 LTO and again if the rain hasn't made it too soft. Typical Johnston horse.An ew price for the cautious
If Our Jonathan 2.15 jumps out, he wins. LTO was a disappointment.I put up Kaldoun Kingdom 3.45 lto with a lot of confidence. Today is harder but that was good stuff and I will be on for a lesseramount today.The two bottom weights are serious dangers so some forecsts and a hopeful exacta.

I am hoping things can drop for Dhualar Dhar at York today and According To Pete is better than he ran LTO when seeming to blow up badly.

At York, I like Dhaular Dhar but missed the bigger prices this morning. It's come down the ratings and reasonable excuses can be made for its last two runs in which it's looked on the way back to form.

I've rowed in with Green Manalishi, which strikes me as one of those to follow when it hits form as it's still lower than its previous highest winning mark.

At Ascot, I suspect Triple Aspect is the pecentage call in the 2.55 and 7/1 looks a bit big for a horse top rated on ORs, TSs and RPRs, not to mention my own figures.

In the 3.30, I was hoping not to be able to find anything with which to oppose the admirable Record Breaker but cases can be made for a few on older form. There's also the 3yo improver Class Is Class, which might ultimately be as good as Record Breaker, so I've let my head rule my heart.

Since the relaying of the track it's well known that fast ground horses can act on a bit of cut at Ascot. With this in mind i'm gonna go in on Jimmy Styles to place in the Group 3 sprint as i'm confident I can get 5/1.

I'll try and watch the market for any positive moves on a horse that runs off bottom weight today in the 4:55 at York called State General. Last three runs have been dismal but has had a decent break and is now off a very fair mark I think. Maybe the type of horse that springs a surprise and worth a bob e/w back at this distance.

Last edited:
Makkamen 2.05 won well both runs on decent ground but dire on heavy. long break but I'll take the punt.

Bowleaze 3.35 Chep,one I follow closely, won this race 2 years ago so ?

2.21 Quote "If Our Jonathan 2.15 jumps out, he wins. LTO was a disappointment" Drifted put more on, and drifted further so more again. What a ride!!

Last edited:
All the "good" races are sprints today, which means I'll be keeping my powder dry. Coolminx stood out at the prices, but very, very weak.

Thanks -it would brighten up a dull day.

If you don't mind me asking Luke, Is it a strong fancy? The reason I ask is although I respect your opinion having won from your tipping a couple of times, 1 win from 30 runs isn't inspiring, having said that, it is a poor race.
Any of your thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers

Back