Saturday's racing

Hamm

At the Start
Any thoughts?

Should be interesting to see Punchestowns and Binocular.

I really liked Leo Lucky Star until i see he had a 10 pound penalty (Tom Scudamore)

I think a lot are exposed/out of form in the handicap hurdle at Sandown and Erzen looks very short. Alderluck may be worth an each way interest at 18s+.

I think Mad Max will scoot in, and Tazbar may find the 2m3 trip too short at Doncaster, and I think You're the top is fairly priced at 3s.

As a rule, I rarely back Nicholls and Walsh because I think the market is overly efficient with their runners, but I can't help but be drawn into Free World in the 2m handicap chase at Doncaster. Hold up tactics appeared to be the making of him at Cheltenham and but for a horrible mistake down the back and the winner getting first run, I think he could have won. That form looks much stronger than what the likes of other improvers like Oiseau de Nuit and Leo's Lucky Star can bring to the table. With a race chock full of pace, I can't see Free World out of the frame so with Skybet, Paddy Power and Stan James all going 4 places and all 5/1, I'll probably end up with £20 EW max with all 3 of them!

As a rule, I rarely back Nicholls and Walsh because I think the market is overly efficient with their runners, but I can't help but be drawn into Free World in the 2m handicap chase at Doncaster. Hold up tactics appeared to be the making of him at Cheltenham and but for a horrible mistake down the back and the winner getting first run, I think he could have won. That form looks much stronger than what the likes of other improvers like Oiseau de Nuit and Leo's Lucky Star can bring to the table. With a race chock full of pace, I can't see Free World out of the frame so with Skybet, Paddy Power and Stan James all going 4 places and all 5/1, I'll probably end up with £20 EW max with all 3 of them!

I wouldnt back him with bad money hes soft as shit!!!!!!!

Looking forward to this afternoon’s televised fare. Leaps of faith right left and centre!

At Sandown, Binocular can’t really be opposed but is hardly a betting proposition either. Punchestowns has Tchico Polos to beat and on hurdles form shouldn’t have too much difficulty in doing so, but I wouldn’t want to put money on it either.

The 3.10 is interesting. Six of the 14 are out of the handicap. Of the six, only Beshabar might improve enough but I reckon a place is its best prospects. Racing Demon and Ashkazar are very well in on old form but require a bit of a leap of faith in terms of punting them. The safe bet is Erzen but 3/1 doesn’t appeal. Rather than back that one, I’ll probably take that leap of faith to small stakes on Racing Demon and Ashkazar.

The 3.40 is there for the taking. It isn’t a great race. Killyglen may well be up to giving away the weight but a win here would surely kill any Aintree hopes, a remark that will also apply to Gone To Lunch. Razor Royale and the others could be well placed to capitalise on others’ agenda. The one that catches my eye, though, is Oedipe, first time up. Four poor runs last season have brought him down 10lbs but the second of those would give him a chance here. If the extended break has got him back to his previous form he’s classy enough to take this before going on to better things. He seems to have been around for a long time yet he’s only eight.

Another requiring a leap of faith is Regal Heights in the 2.20 at Wetherby. The big market move this morning suggests plenty are willing to jump but I’m going for my own leap of faith with Yes Sir in the hope that the ground is drying out enough for him. I rate Battlecry the main danger.

The 2.50 is one to watch without any financial involvement.

As for the big race at Doncaster, it’s a cracker. I took long odds yesterday evening about Santa’s Son. Some of its form last year reads very well, especially its hammering of Moon Over Miami in the Castleford, which prompted connections to take on Master Minded at Cheltenham. I’ll probably also have a small bet on Andreas, first time up for Oliver Sherwood. I’d marked off Doctor David yesterday as well but Pricewise has scuppered the price. I suspect Kalahari King might be good enough, though, to win. He jumped dreadfully at Sandown at the end of the season yet still got to within 10 lengths of Twist Magic. He might have won with a clear round, in which case he wouldn’t be sitting off 157 here. I don’t imagine him being too far off full fitness today. I’m very tempted to make him my main bet.

In the non-televised races, Fenix (1.55), Give It Time (2.55) and Briery Fox (4.00) appeal at Doncaster, as does Song Of Songs at Sandown (4.15). A small-stakes each-way multiple on those could be interesting.

Just one fancy for me today, Old Benny 4:00 at Doncaster. Kings yard are a bit in and out but money for this one is a good sign. 11's into 7's. I'll have to pay for my lie in and miss out on the value.

Old Benny has been put up by Pricewise Extra - King's had a couple of shortish priced favourites beaten of late so get the impression that the form might be turning for the yard. If Old Benny is back to his form from Cheltenham in his Novice year he's sure to go close and has a nice racing weight too.

Didn't realise he was put up by Pricewise Extra, cheers IS. That explains the market move. If memory serves, King put Old Benny up as a possible surprise package for this season, so maybe he feels he is back to his form from his novice year. Sure we'll know in a few hours.

Some good racing today. It will be interesting to see Punchestowns against Tchico Polos at Sandown, and Captain Cee Bee in action at Naas. It is also good to see Kalahari King making his reappearence.

Kimberlite King has a great chance at Naas. He has been beaten by some good horses this season and I don't think he faces the same sort of opposition today.

At Sandown it should be a case of how far for Binocular in the first.

According is the big talig horse in the juvenile hurdle but Anak has the experience and is not without ability.

I like Punchestowns alot but just have a feeling that Tchico Polos will really put it up to him today. This looks his ideal trip and he has that bit more experience than the Henderson horse.

Silk Affair caught me eye running on ok at Leopardstown last time and while not having a great grasp on the race - she might be interesting.

I think Killyglen has alot going for him provided of course that he is over whatever problem that ailed him in the Hennessy.

Have backed Gallelli in the first in Naas which bar the favourite looks weak enough. Has form in soft ground and useful on the flat.

Diktalina wins the juvenile.....According well beaten.

The winner looks like a giraffe but clearly a useful one!

Silk Affair caught me eye running on ok at Leopardstown last time and while not having a great grasp on the race - she might be interesting.

Very interesting indeed. Shape of the race today could well suit her, given the likely strong pace with the likes of Lough Derg and Ashkazar. I'm convinced the key to the Quinlan mare is having a strong pace to run into, given that she is virtually devoid of any sort of turn of foot.

Enthusiasm is somewhat tempered by the presence of a fair few potentially improving sorts.

Chiraaz surely has to be taken on in the handicap chase at Naas dropping back to two miles?

Diktalina wins the juvenile.....According well beaten.

The winner looks like a giraffe but clearly a useful one!
Was at Windsor when she won a bad seller this summer; she surely proves that this year's juveniles in the UK are a poor bunch. I'd be lumping on Carlito Brigante after that.

Top stuff from Monkerhostin and a brilliant ride by his jockey who I've been following for quite a while so good to see him getting the opportunities in these TV races :)

I suspect Kalahari King might be good enough, though, to win. He jumped dreadfully at Sandown at the end of the season yet still got to within 10 lengths of Twist Magic. He might have won with a clear round, in which case he wouldn’t be sitting off 157 here. I don’t imagine him being too far off full fitness today. I’m very tempted to make him my main bet.

I'm pleased to report I gave into the temptation and took the 12/1 :D

Top stuff from Monkerhostin and a brilliant ride by his jockey who I've been following for quite a while so good to see him getting the opportunities in these TV races :)

I had Monkerhostin top rated but couldn't make the leap of faith. Great to see him win but I thought Oedipe ran a race of tremendous promise for the remainder of the season.

Glad you backed KK - think most of us were given the Ferdy put-away on that one. Monkerhostin is a grand old horse but like with many older horses it's hard to know whether they'll run to their ratings.

Yeah, excellent punt DO. He was 18.5 on the machine just before the off which if anything was just too big - I couldn't pull the trigger.

Just got back from Doncaster. Yeah,well put away by Ferdy on KK,didn't even look at it in the betting. Managed to pick plenty of places. Thought I was going to finish the day well when good old Turpin Green led coming into the straight:rolleyes:

Can Jumbo Rio give Muirhead 7lbs and a beating at Gowran tomorrow?? I was strong on Jumbo Rio until i seen the weight allowance. Not sure if he can give 7lbs away.

Trappy contest. Pace could play an important role in that were the race to turn into something of a dash Jumbo Rio would have to be fancied to have the best turn of foot, though I'd imagine Davy Russell will at least insure something of a test for Luska Lad.

Muirhead is well in at the weights but not hard to swerve him at 15/8 given his attitude the last day (though perhaps the trip stretched his stamina), whilst Noble Prince's form does not entitle him to be a 3/1 shot in this. In short, looks a watching brief (as does the Red Mills Chase).

Back