Saturday's racing

Very smart performance from Luska Lad yesterday I thought, pretty much out-staying Jumbo Rio having went a good gallop throughout. Hurdled very well yesterday as well, which has not always been the case. If the ground comes up soft at Fairyhouse or Punchestown, it'll take a smart horse to beat him.

Interesting card at Navan today. Mourad looks well treated at the weights in the Boyne Hurdle and should handle the step up in trip, but Sam Adams looks over-priced to me at 16's on his Punchestown form behind The Midnight Club. This may well just be a confidence booster today but, even so, he has more scope than most in this field. Ninetieth Minute would be an interesting contender held up further off the pace today (looks to be plenty of pace in the race) but he has been cosistently under-priced all season and 7/2 makes no appeal today. I'd be amazed if War Of Attrition went off at shorter than 6's.

Uimhiraceathair should win the 3m novice chase but I've backed Inistioge e/w at 10's to small stakes. Seems to be gradually improving and left the impression the last day that a step up in trip would bring about further improvement.

TBH trackside: I thought Davy Russell had taken Luska Lad out too quickly given the ground. Is only with the benefit of hindsight that I agree. Phew

As to today in Ireland:
1:40 Verdas Partner (DR again and horse appears progressive)
2:10 Ebidayan (feel he has a real chance although Mourad will be hard to beat)
2:45 Bale O'Shea (as good a chance as any and BJ on back)
3:15 Ball Of Blue (reasonable bumper horse but hasn't clicked hurdling...yet)
3:50 Rafi De Trian (trainer doesn't have the greatest of records but 7lb climer may be value)
4:25 Orpheus Valley (fav will be hard to beat so e/w. Cara Mara may place as well)
4:55 Major Finnegan (looks a toughie with most having a real chance. BJ again and just gets the nod).

Not a Mullins/Walsh amongst them but given the likely odds looking for value.

I'm in agreement with you about the Mullins horses Turtles Fan -I think there is value to be had taking them on today.
Had an absolute disaster yesterday but laying an unraced filly at odds on in the maiden at Wolverhampton last night put me back on the road to recovery.
The horses on the shortlist for today are Mourad -lay,Sunwise lay and Thievery place lay.
Mourad has a history of being beaten at long odds on in running and winning a soft race last time out coupled with Segal tipping him for the World Hurdle has the lemmings back on the bandwagon.
Sunwise has yet to jump a hurdle in public and Nicholls said he wasn't happy with him when he arrived at the yad-a definite lay at the price.
Thievery is well named .

Thankfully sidestepped Willies first winner.I have laid Mourad for a chunk at 6/5 which I believe is too short a price.

Loiseau De Feu only bet for me today.

At Exeter, Najaf making his british debut, his french form is top class

Uimhiracathair now 1.66 to lay which is ridiculously short.I often think that second time out is the time to catch them.

Traded Uimhir-swerving Thievery.All the chips are in the middle of the table laying Sunwise at a shade under 2.4.

Navan yesterday was not a great day for me punting wise though Mullins/Walsh fared little better. Some good races though: War of Attrition did very well. Ballyburke looks a bright prospect and Telenor did well to dead heat. I don't know what happened to Ebidayan? He's beginning to look all or nothing. Does this make him ungenuine?

I don't know. Just when I think i'm getting the hang of terminology turns out I'm not. Maybe he needs to be given time to mature? Still only 5. Too much too young?

Back