Seamus Heffernan

Yes, it was very oily and did stick to everything, as well as work its way into the oddest of places - my racing saddle was never quite the same after riding at Lingfield, I'd find bits of the surface in all sorts of places. What you do to combat it clumping together in the fetlocks is put vetrap around every fetlock. Quick easy and saves a lot of hassle!

I'd imagine it could be very nasty if it worked its way into the bulbs of the heels, or bits got stuck between the horse's back legs or in any folds of skin? Sounds like it caused a lot of extra work for handlers, so good that it's gone!

Shadz - did you enjoy riding round Lingfield? It looks as if it's a fairly simple course to manage, although I've heard that the turn off the final bend into the straight's a bit zippy and can cause problems if you're caught behind any slowing down. Did you think it a fair course?

They sound disgusting! It sounds awful for both horse and rider - I imagine you could come back a few pounds heavier after a rain-sodden run, like some of the worst NH weather! Yuk.

Having ridden over the Keeneland surface before they went to polytrack (albeit not in a race) I actually found it quite easy to ride and it wasn't particularly hard on the animals either.

I'd be of the opinion that the surface is often used as a conveniant excuse by many to mask more fundamental causes in terms of injuries/fatalities in many cases with regards to dirt; of course it can become a quagmire if it gets rain, especially if they seal the track - very tricky!

I certainly would prefer American tracks to stick with dirt.

Yes, the surface wasn't nice and if it wasn't cleaned properly, could easily lead to sore heels which aren't pleasant.

I enjoy riding around the Lingfield AW actually; it's a nicely flowing track and the bends ride well. It's actually a good galloping track and I haven't found the final bend particularly tricky however riding into it behind horses at racing pace I can't imagine it's the greatest!

thanks SL

its one of those tracks that gets described as flat by some publications and slightly undulating by others

as you say flat is probably closer to the mark

There's a long climbing run from leaving the back straight to the point where they start heading for the final turn to the finish, but it looks a good steady ascent - certainly not switchback or even sharp. That's the only part of the track where the horses aren't running on a dead flat piece of ground, though - the turf sprints are flat as a pancake, no whoopsy-do up and downs like Catterick, for example.

Thanks for that, Shadz. Often wondered what it's like to ride, as I'm fairly confident I won't ever personally find out! (Thinks: hmmm... any market for Shire horse racing, I wonder?)

Back