Shape Up Shoes

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
I remember an old thread on here about these shoes and I'd always fancied a pair. Not because I needed shaping up. A Greek god like me doesn't need it but I wanted a quality pair of shoes for my extensive walks with the hound.

I was wearing the 17 year old Adidas Sambas that, after many outings in Uttoxeter-mid-winter going, pretty much moulded to my feet and were very comfy.

I was quite taken with the Shape-Ups but I have to say I now have to wonder of they are to blame for the very painful inflammation I have in my right knee. Prescription-strength Voltarol gel and strong anti-inflammatory tablets have done nothing. Halfway through my little break in Spain, I got so fed up with not getting further along the road than the sports bar, I ditched them and started wearing the spare pair of (Hush Puppies) shoes I took with me. The pain has eased off a fair bit so I decided to Google for info re any possible link between the shoes and pain.

F€ck me, there are stacks of complainants.

I did mention my suspicions to the doc a month ago but he was fairly dismissive of any possible link. I'll need to go back later this week for some stronger A/Is and/or painkillers but it really detracted significantly from my enjoyment of my break. Normally I walk for miles every day but had to know that idea on the head after one attempt along the prom on the first morning.

Doctors are pretty rubbish when it comes to joint problems. Is it worth seeing a chiropractor? My knees got really bad when I started were orthotics for plantar fascitis; I reckon it was due to them slightly changing the alignment of my body. Don't get fobbed off with anti inflammatories etc If your knee is still bad ask for an x ray and physio.

I wouldn't recommend shape ups DO. It is probable that any discomfort you feel is related.

Have you ever done a GAIT analysis test?It's a test that most decent sports retailers offer which examines your walking/running stance and determines how you plant your feet.

I'll have a think about that, granger. I know I walk differently outdoors from inside.

An elderly female student once said to me, "You were an altar boy, weren't you?"

When I said yes and asked how she knew, she said it was the way I placed my feet when walking. I know I can walk about the house without causing any of the boards to creak (often remind myself of the old Kung Fu line, 'When you can walk the rice paper and leave no trace, Grasshopper, you will have learned."

Outside I do come down heel first but not heavily.

Safe_Range.jpg

I'm very supponated on my left foot

Sportshoes.com have a sort of test to tell you which trainers to get. I've been living in Nike Air Pegasus for the past couple of years [can't even wear Nike Air Max these days and I think I've got the worlds largest collection of them]. Don't know what I'm going to do shoe wise when I go to my friends wedding later this year. Annoying thing is that I've worn 'good sensible shoes' all of my life. And swear that if I'd been a couch potato I'd be ok now.

I was quite taken with the Shape-Ups but I have to say I now have to wonder of they are to blame for the very painful inflammation I have in my right knee. Prescription-strength Voltarol gel and strong anti-inflammatory tablets have done nothing. Halfway through my little break in Spain, I got so fed up with not getting further along the road than the sports bar, I ditched them and started wearing the spare pair of (Hush Puppies) shoes I took with me. The pain has eased off a fair bit so I decided to Google for info re any possible link between the shoes and pain.

F€ck me, there are stacks of complainants.

I did mention my suspicions to the doc a month ago but he was fairly dismissive of any possible link.

Hi Dessie - I have been doing some work for a private foot and ankle surgeon, and it is highly likely that your knee problems have been caused by your new shoes. Any alteration to the mechanics of your gait (i.e. position of foot and different useage of muscles/tendons) will have a knock-on effect on the rest of your leg, hip and lower back, and if the knee has been developing a bit of arthritis the alteration in your gait will have aggravated this.

Maybe a podiatrist could be of help. S/he will be able to provide a gait analysis, advise you on alterations in gait, maybe provide exercises to strengthen previously unused muscles in foot/ankle, and possibly even provide insoles to support to your foot without aggravating other muscles/tendons/ligaments etc.

Of course, if you had bashed or twisted your knee a while before changing shoes that would be a different story.:whistle:

I would think that the shoes are most likely to have caused the problem though, after all, no foot, no horse.

Thanks, redhead.

I mentioned the shoes to the other GP who's been looking after me over the last couple of weeks and he said ditch the shoes. He's a runner and said he tried them and ditched them too (for other reasons). He reckoned they were almost certainly responsible for the pain.

The "aggressive" [his word] course of steroids he gave me to deal with my other complaint would also help my knee he said, and he's been right. There's still some pain but a lot less than before. I'm able to walk without limping and I'm looking forward to attempting a two or three mile amble with the hound this week if the favourable forecast weather materialises.

I had the knee x-rayed on Friday to see if there's anything flaked off inside so we'll see how that goes.

Glad to hear things are improving for you Dessie. Thank heaven the other GP knows how shoes can affect you - ask any woman!

I had something similar happen to me, but it started with my back. That had a knock on effect to my hip (aching), and then my knees (throbbing). I don't wear shoes too often now (only sandals or totally flat bottomed shoes when out in public). Anything that had a slight lift on the heel I stopped wearing and my back got much better, the other ailments followed suit. Some damage has been done to my hip/knees, but the pain isn't anything like before.

I was trying to compensate for my sciatica by walking a touch differently I guess, and any lift in the heel area was exaggerating that to my hip and knees. Thats my theory anyway.

It's probably still a bit chilly for sandals up in Scotland at the moment, but as soon as the temps allow for them you should get a pair.

Can't recommend these strongly enough. Very comfy and hard wearing, easy on the wallet as well.
37252.87631_e.jpg

I had something similar happen to me, but it started with my back. That had a knock on effect to my hip (aching), and then my knees (throbbing). I don't wear shoes too often now (only sandals or totally flat bottomed shoes when out in public). Anything that had a slight lift on the heel I stopped wearing and my back got much better, the other ailments followed suit. Some damage has been done to my hip/knees, but the pain isn't anything like before.

I was trying to compensate for my sciatica by walking a touch differently I guess, and any lift in the heel area was exaggerating that to my hip and knees. Thats my theory anyway.

It's probably still a bit chilly for sandals up in Scotland at the moment, but as soon as the temps allow for them you should get a pair.

Can't recommend these strongly enough. Very comfy and hard wearing, easy on the wallet as well.
37252.87631_e.jpg

What were these shoes called Chris? Bought a pair this time last year, loved them but now can't remember what they were called or where I bought them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back