Shergar Cup

Gamla Stan

At the Start
I can't wait for Shadow Leader's response to some of this, not the best teams either... From Racing Base...

The final teams for the 2009 Dubai Duty Free Shergar Cup at Ascot this Saturday have been announced, with Hayley Turner captaining the Great Britain team, Richard Hughes the Irish, Ahmed Ajtebi the Rest of the World and Frankie Dettori the Europeans.

Hayley Turner will be joined by Alan Munro and Darryll Holland in the British line-up, with Richard Hughes joined by Seamus Heffernan and Neil Callan as the Irish representatives. Frankie Dettori and the European team will feature Gerald Mosse and German rider Andrasch Starke, while Swedish jockey Fredrik Johansson is on standby to replace Dettori should Godolphin call on his services around the globe. The teams are completed by Ahmed Ajetbi’s Rest of the World teammates, Malesh Narredu and Hiroyuki Uchida.

A new novelty at this year’s Dubai Duty Free Shergar Cup, is that each of the four teams will have a team anthem.

If a Great Britain-ridden horse wins a race, Elton John's 'Made In England' will be played; if there's an Irish-ridden winner, The Dubliners' 'Irish Rover' will be played; if a European-ridden horse wins, 'Can't Speak French' by Girls Aloud will be played; and a winner for the Rest of the World team will be greeted by 'Jai Ho!' by A.R. Rahmen and sung by The Pussycat Dolls.

"The anthems and specific dances choreographed for each team will enhance the occasion and add plenty of colour," said Ascot's PR Manager, Karen Smith.

"We will have eight cheerleaders changing into the winning team's colours as the horses pass the post after each race and dancing to the anthems as the winning horse appears in the winners' enclosure. There will also be a separate anthem, the ever popular cheerleading chant, "Hey Mickey", played just before the horses come out on to the track, to which the cheerleaders will dance on the grandstand lawn.

"Cheerleaders and music have always been popular in the States and used in quite a few sporting events here and we're sure they'll prove very popular for this one-off event. The cheerleaders will take part in the opening and closing ceremonies and also meet some of the children in our Colts and Fillies club to teach them some of the High School Musical routines.

"Before racing there will be the now usual jockeys' autograph-signing session by the parade ring and after racing there's a two hour concert in the old paddock with a great line-up of stars from the 80's, including Rick Astley, Nik Kershaw, Bucks Fizz and Altered Images. There will be also be funfair rides, face painting and a wealth of other entertainment for the children - all free of charge. All-in-all it should be a fantastic afternoon."

Last edited:
Let me guess - before each race the jockeys must have a team orientated drink?

British - pint of Carling
Irish - pint of Guiness
European - pint of Kronenbourg
Rest of World - pint of Fosters

No chance of us having a guys vs. girls contest at all?

Could get some of the top ROW blokes to Ascot and then Homeister Jnr, EJ Wilson, Kyla Stra and Chantal Sutherland from the US to team up with Hayley T.

Fuxake! Think I'll have to have a word with Karen! Well, the cheerleaders on the lawn don't want to be too loud or it might be a word or three...

"We will have eight cheerleaders changing into the winning team's colours as the horses pass the post after each race and dancing to the anthems as the winning horse appears in the winners' enclosure.

It all depends on where about's this 'changing' takes place I suspect. Under certain conditions I could see this proving quite popular!!!

Or better still each team is nominated a stripper, and after each result the young girlies (for it would have to be) who represents the losing teams has to remove a clothing item. After six races Derek Thompson is allowed off the leash to try and chase one round the paddock in 30 secs and see if he can pin her to the ground :whistle:

Except that Tommo doesn't work for the Beeb!! It's not often he's at Ascot for ATR either, not least on a Saturday when he's generally required elsewhere for Ch4.

Does this not bring racing into disrepute:confused: Where is the BHA integrity in sport department!!!!:rolleyes:

Except that Tommo doesn't work for the Beeb!!

But this has got nothing to do with the Beeb (unless I've seriously misread something). It's clearly Ascot racecourse who're behind this stunt, and under the circumstances if they want to employ Thommo as the 'Arch Lecher Pursuivant' I wouldn't have thought he'd take much persuading under these terms and conditions.

So we know have the cheerleaders as well as the commentator who tries to sound like the yanks when they jump out the stalls. Why can we not just be British about the whole thing.

"Hey Mickey
You've been around all night
And that's a little long.
You think you've got the right
But I think you've got it wrong". :whistle:

In truth, this is just about crass enough to work I fear. I suppose they could have gone with 'camptown races'. The music is clearly pitched at an under 20's crowd, I'm sure we could think of some more appropriate songs. I suppose we're only one step away from jockeys having their own signature tunes now?

There's a task if anyone fancies taking it on?

Last edited:
I think we should be focusing on two important aspects which are Horse and Racing if anyones accidently forgot its what the sports about.

Will cheerleaders make the racing more enjoyable? will it bring more people through the door? I highly doubt it as its just turning into a sporting joke showing signs of desperation by the lack of imagination within the hierachy of people that have a power to act.

It is all about interacting with the spectaters in my opinion and we lack the media/technology initiative to make racedays more interesting - I have personaly about 10 good ideas albeit daring to say the least they would be better than hiring a bunch of cheerleaders.

Fallon - Sorted For E's And Whizz (Pulp) or Charlie Big Potato (Skunk Anansie)
Frank - Stand And Deliver (highwayman, hold up etc)

But this has got nothing to do with the Beeb (unless I've seriously misread something). It's clearly Ascot racecourse who're behind this stunt, and under the circumstances if they want to employ Thommo as the 'Arch Lecher Pursuivant' I wouldn't have thought he'd take much persuading under these terms and conditions.

The Beeb are covering the meeting, Tommo doesn't work for them. He does work for ATR, granted (which will also cover the meeting) but chances are pretty high that he wouldn't be available anyway since he's more than likely covering Newmarket or Haydock for Channel 4. You don't see him at Ascot very often, not on a Saturday at least.

Of course there's every chance he'll be on the open topped bus in London on Thursday though!

So are you now suggetsing that it's the beeb who are behind the cheerleaders, horse anthems, and the dance routines then?

Any nomination(s) for these lyrics?

Don't you love farce?
My fault I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want.
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don't bother, they're here.

Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer,
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
And where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Well, maybe next year.

Beyonce, Shakira; Beautiful Liar - Just trying to put a jockey to the song title now, shouldn't take long!

Back