Should They?

Why would you run a horse like these two in a race where the conditions don't suit???...I can't see how thats good training..so saying that BM wasn't run in conditions that didn't suit is just common sense surely?

Winning Grade or Group 1 contests when conditions don`t suit adds to a horse`s reputation. Look at Brigadier Gerard.

Winning Grade or Group 1 contests when conditions don`t suit adds to a horse`s reputation. Look at Brigadier Gerard.

aye they do add to a horses reputation - unless you get beat out of sight of course :lol:

- the best way to win races with a horse is to put them in suitable races with conditions that play to their strengths

BM wasn't a Brigadier Gerard..then again not many are - the best way to win races with a horse is to put them in suitable races with conditions that play to their strengths I would have thought

Denman's run at unsuitable Kempton for instance hasn't exactly enhanced his reputation has it?

Whereas him winning a decent GC did rather do that didn't it

I can't see many in 20 years saying.."well I know Denman won that great GC..but I much preferred his 20 length drubbing under unsuitable conditions at Kempton"

Last edited:
I personally (and think alot of people did) found much more respect and affection for Kauto Star after his run in last year's Gold Cup. Horse was clearly not himself, jumping poorly and not travelling but he guts it out right to the end and managed second with everything against him.

Obviously running in conditions against you is not the be all and end all nor should it be used to judge a horse....but it just adds to the greatness of a horse if they can run with merit or more.

aye they do add to a horses reputation - unless you get beat out of sight of course :lol:

- the best way to win races with a horse is to put them in suitable races with conditions that play to their strengths

BM wasn't a Brigadier Gerard..then again not many are - the best way to win races with a horse is to put them in suitable races with conditions that play to their strengths I would have thought

Denman's run at unsuitable Kempton for instance hasn't exactly enhanced his reputation has it?

Whereas him winning a decent GC did rather do that didn't it

I can't see many in 20 years saying.."well I know Denman won that great GC..but I much preferred his 20 length drubbing under unsuitable conditions at Kempton"

of course

but would a good trainer keep running a horse under the wrong conditions?

which is what we are talking about with BM..HN knew the conditions she wanted for the horse..and stuck by it..now PN is doing the same with KS..just that he took longer to work it out

thats the Irish trainer Paul Nicholls by the way :p

of course

but would a good trainer keep running a horse under the wrong conditions?

which is what we are talking about with BM..HN knew the conditions she wanted for the horse..and stuck by it..now PN is doing the same with KS..just that he took longer to work it out

thats the Irish trainer Paul Nicholls by the way :p

I would be interested in the quote that says I suggested a trainer "keeps running a horse under wrong conditions"....

Obviously running in conditions against you is not the be all and end all nor should it be used to judge a horse....but it just adds to the greatness of a horse if they can run with merit or more.

you are seeming to suggest there imo that it isn't a bad thing though

in fact on one hand you say it shouldn't be used to judge a horse..but then say it adds to greatness..which is surely judging a horse?

I'm not against this running well when stuff is against you..ok..but you only really want to be doing it just the once with a top horse...whereas it seems when HN wouldn't run BM every week under the wrong conditions she is some kind of spoilsport denying us a chance to see the horse...that was the general feeling at the time..to run him to suit us rather than to suit the horse

Last edited:
Auteuil is out of the question since the ground is atrocious and could ruin a good horse

There's no evidence for this at all - the ground is patchy but it's not dangerous, there's no danger at all of a good horse coming out of a race at Auteuil unfit for any race in the future - well it's not done Hurricane Fly, Cooldine, Glencove Marina, Master Minded, Tatenen, Kauto Star himself any harm at all.

The more likely reason for not running in France is that Nicholls top owners will see how much the top races are worth over there as Grasshopper says the Jousselin is worth more than the Betfair and Hennessy combined (not sure he'd win it without coming out of second gear mind).

I understand from remarks from trainers (inc as reported in the RP) that the ground at Auteuil has deteriorated markedly in parts of the course, in the last season or so, to the extent some are reluctant to send their best horses. A freind of mine knows his mare would do very well there all things being equal, and finds it hard to find a race for here here on Soft, but has also decided not to send her over for that reason (she may go to Ireland instead).

This perception may of course be incorrect; not having been there I can only go on what those who have, have been saying

Back