Sir Michael Stoute to retire

jinnyj

Senior Jockey
Has announced he will retire at the end of the season. A truly great trainer in my opinion with six Derby winners amongst an incredible roster of equines. I think personally he’s in my top five trainers ever. Never afraid to give a horse time to mature, it paid off on so many occasions.

His star seems to have been on the wane for some time. It seems inevitable.

Long gone are the days when the first thing you'd do is look for a Stoute 3yo in a good handicap in the second half of the season or a late-maturing older horse in the group races.

I could never take to him as an interviewee. Oozed contempt for the interviewer and, by extension, for racing fans watching on TV.

Didn’t he attempt to work for racing media at one time but was rejected and, after that refused to give interviews? Or is my memory playing tricks with me again?

Long gone are the days when the first thing you'd do is look for a Stoute 3yo in a good handicap in the second half of the season or a late-maturing older horse in the group races.

I could never take to him as an interviewee. Oozed contempt for the interviewer and, by extension, for racing fans watching on TV.

Bay Bridge?

Was only 2 yrs ago

I don't keep track of them but are we talking one every other year or two?

Maybe I'm looking back with rose-tinted specs but it seemed back in the day there were one or two every year.

I think the loss of his partner, Coral, following a battle with cancer probably had much to do with this

One of the very best -personally I think what he did better than anyone else was improve a horse from 3 to 4.The two horses I will remember him for are Singspiel and Pilsudski -they ran in every big race imaginable and ran against each other at least once.
In terms of English based trainers only Henry Cecil can be compared to him over the last 40years.

He didn't like the modern way of interviewing where they interrupt ' stuff a microphone in your face and ask what he considered inane questions.

Spoke to a delivery driver this morning who was dropping off supplies for my studio and by chance started chatted about racing. The driver used to work for Godolphin (he said Bin Suroor has been binned recently? Is anyone else aware?) and Gosden as well as Stoute. Said the latter two were exceptional to work for but said Appleby was more about immaculate yards than genuine talent. Always interesting to hear people’s take on where they worked. He also said that Stoute is struggling physically so it’s no surprise to him that he’s retiring.

Back