Sizing Europe

I am a bit suprised ...mainly for the reasons Headstrong pointed out, but not least because the opposition looks like it could be very tough next year with younger probably improving horses around...not least the exciting Binocular

Sizing Europe is only 6 going on 7 Clive...hardly an old horse himself.

In saying that this horse was made to go chasing and I am disappointed in someways that he is not going that route.

Originally posted by Galileo@May 13 2008, 08:55 AM
Sizing Europe is only 6 going on 7 Clive...hardly an old horse himself.

In saying that this horse was made to go chasing and I am disappointed in someways that he is not going that route.
Agreed - not unlike Hardy Eustace and Brave Inca in that respect, who were also kept to the smaller obstacles.

It was understandable that a horse like Istabraq was kept hurdling as he was never bred to jump larger obstacles. Monksfield too would have been a bit on the small side to jump the big ones. But a horse like Sizing should be put straight over fences as it is not guarantee he would have won this year even if he stayed sound - Sublimity was travelling every bit as well swinging in and still got beat.

If he wins the Champion it would be very difficult to envisage connections not keeping him hurdling for at least another season, which would mean his novice chase campaign wouldn't get underway till he was 8 rising 9 - hardly ideal.

If he wins the Champion it would probably then be a now-or-never decision for 08/09.

Edit: Er, 09/10 I mean. What year is it again? Nurse?

Originally posted by numbersix@May 13 2008, 12:23 PM
But a horse like Sizing should be put straight over fences as it is not guarantee he would have won this year even if he stayed sound - Sublimity was travelling every bit as well swinging in and still got beat.
By the same token he's certainly not guaranteed to become a star over fences (however much he shapes like a chaser) and it's fairly clear that he went wrong in the Champion Hurdle, while also demonstrating the ability to at least travel well enough to win the race.

If you ask Cantoris whether he regrets not sending Brave Inca over hurdles (different case I know given the way SE travels in his races), I'm fairly sure what the answer would be! I'll let him answer that one though..

14s for the Champion is fair value if his problems can be sorted out but I have a nagging doubt about the injury.

Was talking to Henry at the races tonight-he is one nice chap considering he doesn't know me.Sizing Europe will be going on his summer holidays next week and they are thinking in terms of the Bula as an early season target.

He must be great value at 10 or 12s surely?

Katchit, whilst admirably tough, is far from unbeatable, and Binocular, imo, may be suited to a flatter track than CHeltenham.

Not sure who else will come through..

He must be great value at 10 or 12s surely?

Katchit, whilst admirably tough, is far from unbeatable, and Binocular, imo, may be suited to a flatter track than CHeltenham.

Not sure who else will come through..

Maybe so, but the horse was made for fences in my opinion.

Osana is still in the mix

Given that 5 years olds would find it "impossible" to win this race because of physical developement, experienec blah blah...then surely Osana and Katchit are going to be more forward next time around?

Reports from Kings stable at the weekend indicate that Katchit has been thriving

I would happy to swerve Sizing europe myself and it is disappointing they havent gone chasing

Osana is still in the mix

Given that 5 years olds would find it "impossible" to win this race because of physical developement, experienec blah blah...then surely Osana and Katchit are going to be more forward next time around?

Reports from Kings stable at the weekend indicate that Katchit has been thriving

I would happy to swerve Sizing europe myself and it is disappointing they havent gone chasing

Any chance Osana could go chasing himself?

Funny you should say that because hes as much as 24's on the exchanges (for tiny amounts) as opposed to 8's say, with many bookies

So yes... Would indicate that I feel

i got some the 20s and 12s so im happy with this news

think the same about katchit and binocular as Andrew " Katchit, whilst admirably tough, is far from unbeatable, and Binocular, imo, may be suited to a flatter track than CHeltenham."

Personally thought Sizing Europe was hugely overated myself.

I'm expecting either Katchit to win or something new.

I can't help wondering if he went wrong because his shape, and esp the way he takes his jumps, are both screaming chasing - he's having to make the wrong shape, it's not natural to him [or he wouldn't balloon like that] and it might be straining his physique in some way. I'm disappointed too...

Back