So did the cheerleaders do it for you?

Warbler

At the Start
Anyone go to Ascot today?

Much as though it sticks in my craw to admit it, the bits i caught on the tele (inbetween watching some pitious pivel in the Leeds area) it actually seemed to work quite well as a visual spectacle

Much as though it sticks in my craw to admit it, the bits i caught on the tele (inbetween watching some pitious pivel in the Leeds area) it actually seemed to work quite well as a visual spectacle

I've found that pretty women dancing around in skimpy clothes usually works quite well as a visual spectacle... :cool:

I thought it was good to be honest but it is best to keep that for novelty events.

Warbler, go on, give me three other ways in which it might work, other than as a visual spectacle! (Sorry, I haven't wandered out of Pedants' Corner for a while... )

Warbler, go on, give me three other ways in which it might work, other than as a visual spectacle! (Sorry, I haven't wandered out of Pedants' Corner for a while... )

The creation of a happy atmosphere? that wouldn't be visual
The musical accompaniment would be aural

Last edited:
I have a feeling it will get the thumbs (and other parts(sorry - crudity alert!) up from most of the guys....

Put me in the minority, trudij. I found it all pretty pathetic. It devalues women. (Please tell me you're NOT a part-time cheerleader. It would shatter all my illusions.)

Warbs - I was taking you to task for using 'visual' and 'spectacle' together - overkill. A spectacle: from spectate = to see, is nothing but visual. The creation of a happy or otherwise atmosphere would come from seeing the event, wouldn't it? I don't know how you'd know what atmosphere the girls would create unless you actually saw them. Thus it could 'work quite well as a spectacle' - or it could work quite well visually, but saying it's a visual spectacle is like saying you were physically stroking the cat, or nasally smelling the onions. That'll be £25, please.

The creation of a happy or otherwise atmosphere would come from seeing the event, wouldn't it? I don't know how you'd know what atmosphere the girls would create unless you actually saw them.

So you're suggesting therefore that a blind person would never be capable of experiencing a happy atmosphere?

Don't squirm desperately on the pin, Little Butterfly - you know you've been caught. Seeing is not necessarily believing, but no-one could enjoy a spectacle if they couldn't see it! Of course a blind person could enjoy a happy atmosphere but, without sight, he is physically incapable of enjoying a spectacle. We weren't, however, discussing the word 'atmosphere' - we were discussing your 'visual spectacle'. Let's go through the five senses, shall we? Sight, sound, smell, touch, and taste. Which of those do you think fits the word 'spectacle'?

It's still £25, but rising...

Sod off, smartboy!

I'm off to have a late breakfast, now - Jeeves has failed to turn up to bring me my hot buttered toast (again), so I must awa' the noo and forage. I shall return later to see if Warbacious has learned that a spectacle can only be seen. If he hasn't, I fear he will have to experience a taste of the touch of correctional activities, where the smell of fear will override the sound of the spanking.

Last edited:
The place was buzzing and busy as was Kempton on Wednesday night (phrases you never hear). As much as it can be annoying for regular racegoers to have all those people getting in the way, in my opinion the racecourses that make an effort to try and attract new blood to the sport regardless of the tactics (within reason obviously) should be applauded. With all the talk of the blow to racing's finances with bookies moving off-shore it's good to see that racing itself is doing its best to bolster them. If that involves cheerleaders, so be it, if it works. The only thing that I do really disagree with is the constant determination of some racecourses to encourage people to get totally bladdered. I'm all for going back to the old rules of no drinking in the betting ring as opposed to students with beer filled backpacks wandering around helping the already drunk get drunker.

The place was buzzing and busy as was Kempton on Wednesday night (phrases you never hear). As much as it can be annoying for regular racegoers to have all those people getting in the way, in my opinion the racecourses that make an effort to try and attract new blood to the sport regardless of the tactics (within reason obviously) should be applauded. With all the talk of the blow to racing's finances with bookies moving off-shore it's good to see that racing itself is doing its best to bolster them. If that involves cheerleaders, so be it, if it works. The only thing that I do really disagree with is the constant determination of some racecourses to encourage people to get totally bladdered. I'm all for going back to the old rules of no drinking in the betting ring as opposed to students with beer filled backpacks wandering around helping the already drunk get drunker.

I have no problem with racecourses doing something different to get them in the door, weither it be with concerts or gimmicks etc. What I do have a problem is when racecourses get them in the door and do nothing to encourage them to come back the next day when there is no concert etc....as in they not only need to get them in the door, but they also need to try to get the newbies to have a passing interest in the actual sport going on and not just the bar.

True. It would be a good idea for a new racegoers pack with information on racing terms, going, slang, simple explanations of handicaps etc with maybe a book of money off vouchers for selected meetings that need a boost. Maybe ask some of the bookmakers to include a free £2 bet voucher to get new people involved and in the ring too. If these were handed out instead of a free beer voucher it may get people to enjoy the racing prior to the main reason they came. Maybe some places already do, I've no idea but somehow doubt it.

Back