So how did you do?

As far as the betting went...
backed Buena Vista, Faasel and Fair Along each way so happy with those three.

My mum gave me a fiver for her, I put it as £2.50 e/w on Holmwood Legend and walked back in with £125 for her! She was very happy and I am now in the good books.

But nothing compared to seeing Kauto, Denman and Long Run over the last 2 in the Gold Cup. I have never yelled so loud and I didn't even have a penny on any of them. Wonderful.

Agree with clivex in that the betting was the sideline. Was just lovely to be able to see such wonderful horses and to experience the atmosphere.

Oh and hello to Brown Jack and Isinglass. Nice to see you again and I promise I'll say hello on the first couple of days next year too!!

I heard of someone who had 3 tenner doubles and a treble Bostons Angel,Sizing Europe and First Lieutenant-also had the same horses in some other bets.The return was a tasty 23K.I believe the lucky man is in his late 30's and only plays at the big festivals.

Best Festival for a good few years for me, from a punting perspective. Hurricane Fly more or less assured a profit on his own, and my three next-biggest bets (by some margin) of the week were Quevega, Big Buck's and Bobsworth. Baby Run falling two out in the Foxhunter sunk a few juicy multiples, though I'm not sure if he would have won. I also got the placepot up on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday - though I tossed my ticket away for the Tuesday after the Stewart Family race as I hadn't spotted Fair Along staying-on into 4th.

Nice to finally be able to report a degree of success at the meeting!

Struggled on Day 1 and 2, with overall losses for both days. A winning Day 3 followed by a stunning Day 4, which would only have been bettered by Denman beating Long Run. A bit less than 100% profit on overall outlay for the week, but it got quite scary at one point mid-week.

A couple of nice doubles with Captain Chris/Bobs Worth and Captain Chris/Long Run thrown in.

Last edited:
4 winners (The wrong ones), 6 seconds (I don't back E/W) and lots of losers (The one's that I needed to win)...

Down on the week - My worst Cheltenham in years but I still thoroughly enjoyed it!!!!

In contrast to everyone else it seems, Tuesday was a car crash for me: Cue Card, Sunnyhillboy, Finians, Peddlers all to win..... Bad times...

All week was a car crash for me punting wise but I still loved every minute of it! Fairly obviously I'd have thought, I hardly had a punt anyway.

It really was the Cheltenham that got away for me. Fancied lots of winners, but didn't get round to betting for one reason or another. Came second in the comp on here, but my punting really suffered by being in Poland for the Weds and Thursday.

Cost me 1st Lieutenant, Cheltenian, Alberta's Run, Big Buck's and Junior. Decided not to bet on the races I couldn't see.

Bar, did you not have time off booked?

Poland as well. If they sent you to London or somewhere in England you would have been fine.

I've had Cheltenham and Ascot weeks written into my contract. Used to be frowned upon when coinciding with the Budget.

Barry is clearly indispensable though (...unlike me).

It's situations like these where I would probably lose my job by refusing to go!

The job I had before this one was for a small but successful family business.They knew I was big into racing but refused to give me the week off -two half days was the offer.I left 15 minutes early on the Wednesday to see the bumper which didn't go down well.
About 3 weeks later one of the brothers sat me down and said that I was getting a P45.They had been dealing in cash for a lot of the previous 7 years and even though I was there less then a year I was the sacrificial lamb.
My first thought was why the fuck didn't they just get rid of me before Cheltenham.
In the six years since it happened I ended up getting a nice job-won't get rich but good terms and conditions and my previous employers have struggled badly with the recession.

...I told my employers I could only afford to work for them if they gave me the Cheltenham week off. ;)

I am working in a new job, with a very understanding manager, but with the assumption in the company that I drop anything, if something big comes up. Family, time off, etc. Because everybody knew I was going to be on the couch / in the pub for the week, it was impossible to say "no".

Doesn't sound ideal, but I make up for it in other ways. For instance, I will "work from home" during Aintree. I can come and go as I please within reason; so I am often down the bookies for novice hurdles in which I have backed Aughnacuraveel to beat First Lieutenant. And they pay me more.

Last edited:
That sounds fair, I was only winding you up. Your situation (new job, freedom, have to be available when needed etc) sounds similar to mine. Except for the family part. I knew, in these weeks of dates going belly up, that I had something to be thankful for :D

My working from home last Friday involved sending a few emails in the morning, playing with my kids and then setting up shop in Cassidy's pub from 1pm to 1am.

I don't like taking calls from work after a certain amount of drink. For example, there is little worse than waking up the next day wondering if you spoke with your boss when you were well gone or you imagined it..

The job I had before this one was for a small but successful family business.They knew I was big into racing but refused to give me the week off -two half days was the offer.I left 15 minutes early on the Wednesday to see the bumper which didn't go down well.
About 3 weeks later one of the brothers sat me down and said that I was getting a P45.They had been dealing in cash for a lot of the previous 7 years and even though I was there less then a year I was the sacrificial lamb.
My first thought was why the fuck didn't they just get rid of me before Cheltenham.
In the six years since it happened I ended up getting a nice job-won't get rich but good terms and conditions and my previous employers have struggled badly with the recession.

Sounds like you are well rid of them. I think everyone has been in a situation where you move on feeling you were very hard done by yet look back on it as a huge escape after a little time..

I don't like taking calls from work after a certain amount of drink. For example, there is little worse than waking up the next day wondering if you spoke with your boss when you were well gone or you imagined it..

My boss knew I was in the pub. She felt guilty enough me missing the middle two days. There was no way I was answering calls or emails.

Back