So What Was The Net Damage?

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
I punted 25 points over the course of the meeting and got 19 back. It amounts to the equivalent of one bad Saturday.

Our Vic, Celestial Halo, Tiger cry and the place portion on Neptune Collonges accounted for my returns. My hefty win bet ante-post on Osana (8/1) would have put me miles clear and I had a couple of other seconds with win bets.

Down, but not by enough to really care about. Tidal Bay and Inglis Drever kept me out of trouble.

Down, but not tearjerkingly so, Binocular's defeat making the difference between a profit and a loss.

Tuesday and Thursday were losing days, today a winning one.

Up, very slightly, Tidal Bay, An Accordion, Albertas Run, Our Vic, Inglis Drever, Naiad Du Misselot/Kicks for Free and Denman all won for me, it should have been so much more though, if I'd listened to a mate in the bookies I would have had the last 2 winners at Cheltenham instead of 2 2nds...

Only bets I had were my ante post on Franchoek plus ew on Junior and Alan King for top trainer.
If either had won I'd have been well up as Alan would have got top trainer also.
As it was I made a small profit so can't really grumble but it was definitely a case of 'what might have been'.

Down but could have been a lot worse. Had a terrible time on Tuesday, i dont mind losers and lost a lot on the CH but laying back most of my Tidal Bay bet because i was convinced it was going for the RSA really stung. Got a lot of it back in the Ryanair on a win and place lay (LAntartique) lost too much in the World Hurdle, got some of it back on Denman. I also made a big error on the QM - I meant to lay VPU in running and pressed the wrong button so backed it instead - not too much, but the swing hurt.

Looking back at my records i do a lot better on NH racing outside of the Festival - it really is too competitive for consistant profits year after year.

I tend to do alright in the feature races Euronymous, it's getting sucked in by the handicap "plot horses" that really gets me.

What kills me is backing long shots in Graded races. I`ve stopped doing it on the Flat because i know outside of the Arc and Classics it`s never worked - i should follow the same formula over the sticks.

Indeed, Euro. I can be vulnerable to that as well, particularly in novice hurdles. Backed Majestic Concorde today in fact.

**** off, Shadow Leader. :P

:D

Not bad considering I went punting with my nearly overdue rent money......!!!! ( I pay a month upfront!) :laughing:

Trackside, I have to admit that I too exhibited the Majestic Concorde symptoms of the disease today.

I had a bad losing meeting

Ashkazar
Sizing Europe

Andreas Run
The Listener
Inglis Drever and Blazing Bailey
Backbord
Zaarito

Breedsbreezze
Sweet Kiln
Gone To Lunch
Enlightement and Hasty Prince
Psycho, biggest bet of the meeting at 6/1

Turnover down substantially,partly because I had only very small bets on a number of the Championship races as I couldn't make a clear choice. Lost large on King Harald (n/r),Zaarito, and Group Captain, and slightly less on Sentry Duty (who had previously slammed Celestial Halo???).

Would have been several more big bets go down but since I ended up at home for the majority of races I have Betfair to thank for letting me get out on Ambobo (most of it) ,The Tother One, Junior, and Chomba even making a small profit.

Biggest winnings were from High Chimes ( where I added 50% in running on to an already decent bet). Finger on the Pulse Tiger cry and Denman ( had to at 9/4) were only other winners.

To sum up Ante Post zero return on reduced number of bets, money made on handicaps and place portion, Betfair the saviour, several good shouting opportunities, but a late plunge on Denman means a small profit.

Thought there was no way I was going to get into profit on the meting after the first day and a half. But clawed a bit back yesterday, and Kicks for Free (E/W), Tiger cry and Denman got me back in front comfortably in the end.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Mar 15 2008, 12:12 AM
Damage?! I cleared a decent 4 figure profit - that doesn't qualify as damage where I come from!!
Shrewd.

As did I but thats mainly thanks to a mug-type £10 4-fold I did which scooped over 3k.

Lovely.

Back