Something Inspiring From Tragedy

krizon

At the Start
Last meeting at Lingfield, I had the pleasure of chatting with one of the owners of dear old UHOOMAGOO, who also own HALMAHERA and the 2,000 Guineas contender, AMADEUS WOLF. The owners had come over for Uhoo's race and to stay over for the AW Awards cermony that evening, hosted by Arena onsite. While we waited an age for a taxi to turn up, to take the lady (one of the wives) into East Grinstead to buy some shoes for the evening (she had forgotten to pack a smart pair!), I asked where they'd come from. They'd come over that morning from Omagh, she said, and then followed up with "I expect you know where that is!" rather ruefully. I said yes, sadly most of us knew where it was, but that it looked a charming place. She said yes, it's a nice, close-knit market town, which was why the bombing was dreadful, as lots of young people congregated there to chat and meet up.

I asked her something that'd been on my mind after seeing some of the 'reconciliation' programmes with Archbish Tutu, and that was what had happened to the young lass who'd been blinded by the bomb blasts? Uhoo's owner became very animated and was delighted to tell me that not only did she go to University and complete her studies successfully, but that she'll be getting married to her long-time sweetheart this year.

I thought that this was something quite extraordinary - the girl could've drowned in sorrow at what had befallen her, but no, she'd overcome the wicked blow dealt her, and triumphed.

A lovely, uplifting story Krizon. It is reassuring to hear a happy story to show that sometimes good things and happy endings can often arise after such terrible tragedies.

I bet you made that ladies day by showing an interest in Omagh.

I used to travel to Northern Ireland regularly doing business when "the troubles" were taking place. The people there are marvellous and very resilient. As always it is a small majority on both sides that try and spoil it for everone.

I did business with all religions and this was fine and there was never anything more than the normal competition between suppliers.

We used to be invited to the North West 200 motorcyling roadrace as guests of the then sponsor, which is a brilliant event, and sponsored a bumper race at the Ulster national meeting. I look forward to going back again.

It is fantastic to hear how this young lady has overcome the awful injuries she suffered and has proved once again that good will always defeat evil.

Back