St Leger Meeting

Aragorn

At the Start
I thought I would start a thread for the other races taking place over the next four days and give my thoughts and bets on a couple of todays more interesting races.

15.10 Conditions Stakes

Twice Over is bound to go off favourite as he has by far the best form in the book. However, I think his best form is actually over a mile and he has run in some hard races this season and I am going to pass him over in favour of something less exposed and at a better price.

King's Gambit is difficult to weigh up and his run in the york stakes would give him a shout in this but he will have to give weight to the unexposed horses in the field and he looks a less likely winner than Twice Over. Similarly sweet lilly is capable of winning a fillies listed race but this looks tougher and she has to concede weight to the 3yo colts.

Which leaves the two at the bottom. Godolphin's entry Chock A Block was bought from France and was backed on his debut in the cocked hat where he was well beaten into last. It's is difficult to know if that was lack of fitness, an injury or he just did not stay. His pedigree suggests the last of these is unlikely therefore because of the time he has had off since I would assume it was niggle or injury that kept him off the track. I'm not a fan of horses coming back off a layoff, particularly with Godolphin so i'm going to overlook him in favour of Paul Cole's Serva Jugum. His latest run was encouraging and if he has come on for that run the weight concession from Twice Over makes this a pretty level contest on the ratings. Therefore, given the prices and Twice Over's busy season i'll be having a win bet on Serva Jugum.

15.45 Scarborough Stakes (Listed)

This looks a really competitive little heat and not one I will be having much interest in but one I will certainly watch with interest.

The two I like are Moorhouse Lad and Above Limits.

Moorhouse lad is a fast ground horse who has shown a decent level of form at this time of the year in the past (Second in last years much vaunted Abbaye is testament to that). Bryan Smart's horses are hitting form and the likely strong pace coming from Siren's Gift and Inxile should help. The quick ground will also be in his favour.

Above Limits is an interesting entry and as a 2yo filly gets masses of weight off her rivals. Two main reasons I like this filly. 1) The form of her last race is really decent. Shamandar followed up in good style next time out and I think Sand Vixen is a sprinter of the future and a horse to follow 2) Being owned by Findlay and Bloom they are shrewd enough to ony run this filly if they think she has a real decent chance (Surely Dascombe wouldn't run her either). 5f on quick ground looks absolutely ideal and she has a decent enough pilot to make the lightweight count. She rates a decent e/w bet at 16/1.

Moorhouse Lad 1pt Win
Above Limits 1pt E/w

I'm not convinced Moorhouse Lad showed quite so much as what others have suggested in the Nunthorpe, and I also think he's better on tracks that place the emphasis on out and out speed. Agree with you that there should be no shortage of pace, but I prefer Inxile who wasn't suited by being held on to at Goodwood.

The only thing I've backed at present at Doncaster is Invincible Lad. Last 2 efforts should be ignored and flew home from a poor position after Hughes have him too much to do at Goodwood. Should get a real good tow into the race from the other horses drawn low and still looks on an upward curve, something you couldn't say about many of his rivals.

I found it hard to get too excited about the racing today and tomorrow is much the same. Tanoura and Perfect Truth should relish the fast ground and trip tomorrow in the fillys race.

Absolute lay I would say. She's got a hell of a lot to prove even if she is taking a huge step down in class. I'll be opposing her with Shamwari Lodge who is a consistent sort.

Eastern Aria and Perfect Truth look the best two bets on the card.

...already it seems something to get excited about! (a difference of opinion at least).

Last edited:
Eastern Aria has a bit to find with Fanjura in the 2.35 but I don't think the 4/1 with Bet365 will last long. Some decent, if uninspiring stuff tomorrow.

I'm leaving the Park Hill alone... Taajub is a silly price in such a big field for the sales race but a worthy favourite. The Duffield horse is cleary highly thought of at home as it's been backed both times it has run and De Souza has an immense record over sprint trips this season. Could be a decent e/w alternative.

Eastern Aria seems to have fared better against his own age group whilst the 9lb could be a step too far for Fanjura. That looks a tough race as well and not one i'd be betting on.

Not much to go at from a punting perspective all round really. Fantasia should win comfortably. Even if she didn't quite live up to expectations, 3rd in the pouliches is far better than anything any of her opponents have achieved. Shamwari Lodge looks an improving sort but she is stepping out of handicap to take on a proven group performer and I would always favour the class horse.

Will probably look elsewhere for opportunities.

Betting on how far Fantasia will win by... I take it she will win? She should if she's anyway near back.

Looks an intriguing renewal of the Flying Childers. I’d be fairly happy to oppose Misheer over a likely fast-run 5f on lively ground. There is little doubt that she boasts the best form on offer but, as well as she travelled through the Cherry Hinton, I actually thought she was a filly that would benefit from stepping up in trip given that it seemed to take her a while to get into gear before she quickened up the hill inside the final furlong. Her primary target seems to be the Cheveley Park as well.

Our Jonathan was impressive at Dundalk but the overall form of that race looks distinctly average (runner-up actually runs at Down Royal today) and he’s hardly any value. The one I’m interested in is Godolphin’s Sand Vixen; I liked the way she shaped in the Princess Margaret, travelling well and quickening from well off the pace in a race that wasn’t run to suit before her effort flattened out in the final furlong (although she certainly wasn’t any match for the winner). A fast-run 5 furlongs could well be ideal at this stage for her and the 6’s on offer last night looked fairly generous I thought.

Would appreciate if someone could relay current prices to me BTW, as I don’t have any access from work.

Hi TS,

General best prices are:
Misheer 11/8
Sand Vixen 4/1
Our Johnathan 5/1

Let me know if you want any other prices. I unfortunately can't access Betfair from work.

Still not a bad bet. Bizarre race to go for with Misheer. Wasn't Brittain talking about her as a Guineas filly? I can never bring myself to back his horses.

Above Limits is an interesting entry and as a 2yo filly gets masses of weight off her rivals. Two main reasons I like this filly. 1) The form of her last race is really decent. Shamandar followed up in good style next time out and I think Sand Vixen is a sprinter of the future and a horse to follow

Haven't won anything on her yet as i've got her in a big multiple but the race with Shamandar looks decent now as the first three have all run very well since.

Geordieland looks rather big at 13/8. It's probably 70/30 whether he's on a going day or not, and if he is, you'd be hard pressed to find a reason he wouldn't win, pace probably being the only worry.

Have laid Geordieland, stable form is awful and he has a credible opponent with Askar Tau and some interesting money for the Mullins horse, especially after an interview with him saying the ground's too fast! Darley Sun is another who could improve, so I figure I have a few chances against the fav.

Can't understand why they ran him to be honest. Would have been better going straight to the US where he could also have raced on anti-bleeding medication.

Viscount Nelson has to be interesting against Poet's Voice. He must be the reason Murtagh is going to Doncaster as I cannot understand him choosing Changingoftheguard over Yeats and Alfred Nobel.

Viscount Nelson has to be interesting against Poet's Voice. He must be the reason Murtagh is going to Doncaster as I cannot understand him choosing Changingoftheguard over Yeats and Alfred Nobel.

I love this time of year with the two year old races hotting up.

Viscount Nelson and Poet's Voice would probably represent the first real clash this season between the two of the better regarded English and Irish two year old colts.

Johannes the bet of the day for me in the Portland. His win over the easy 6f at Goodwood suggests the half furlong shorter trip wont be as much of an issue for him as it will be for Markab who is underpriced and overrated.

Back