St Leger Meeting

Very mixed feelings about the Portland and having to put personal feelings to the side, but I can't see past Jaconet.

Maybe the filly is much better on the AW but maybe her recent improvement is just part of her overall profile. She started the season on 70, has been improving on both surfaces, is off 95 today and already penalised for Ayr (92) next week. I wonder if the 25/1 on offer for that in a few places will look very long later this afternoon.

Last edited:
Very mixed feelings about the Portland and having to put personal feelings to the side, but I can't see past Jaconet.

Maybe the filly is much better on the AW but maybe her recent improvement is just part of her overall profile. She started the season on 70, has been improving on both surfaces, is off 95 today and already penalised for Ayr (92) next week. I wonder if the 25/1 on offer for that in a few places will look very long later this afternoon.

hmm, I keep looking at the form the same way. Either jaconet or intrepid jack for me I think

Wonder if the 25's for next week is related to the ground that usually prevails at the Ayr Gold Cup meeting. She seemed to flounder on soft at Thirsk last year, though having said that, she wasn't seen since so possibly had some other problem.

Incredible price of 11/2 on Viscount Nelson in the opener today guys. He must be going out due to people thinking he can only go on the soft, when he should be better still on this going... don't fancy the favourite, so get on!!!

...incredibly late with my last post... the time got away from me. Hopefully you all missed it. Nevertheless VN ran a blinder on the ground and at the price to finish runner-up.

Last edited:
I backed Viscount Nelson today and thought I had it a furlong out. But I thought he looked a bit unfurished and green in the last furlong and as his breeding and build suggests he can only be better with time. He could be a Breeders Cup juvenile type horse.

The winner looks so pacey you could easily see him drop back for the Middle Park if connections wanted to.

I don't think Port's Voice would beat Showcasing. Wouldn't make sense to drop him to 6f with next year in mind if they are trying to prepare him for the Guineas.

I don't think Port's Voice would beat Showcasing. Wouldn't make sense to drop him to 6f with next year in mind if they are trying to prepare him for the Guineas.

I do not think they will drop him back either, but he looks that sort of pacey type imo. I do not think Poets Voice would beat the second and third over a mile - at least not this year.

Last edited:
Poet's Voice is top of my 2 year old list so far this year. Really imposing animal, and IF he can learn to settle just a little bit, he'll take a lot of beating in the guineas. Reminds me of his grandfather in both headstrong racing style and a little in his looks. One to really look forward to and won with more in hand than the official margin to me.

Poet's Voice is top of my 2 year old list so far this year. Really imposing animal, and IF he can learn to settle just a little bit, he'll take a lot of beating in the guineas. Reminds me of his grandfather in both headstrong racing style and a little in his looks. One to really look forward to and won with more in hand than the official margin to me.

Elusive Pimpernel 2 Poet's Voice 0 - looks like he might struggle to get a mile to me .

Can't argue with you on the facts, though at York (Poet's Voice needed his first run) Poet's Voice looked all over the best horse until his over exertions kicked in.

Can't argue with you on the facts, though at York (Poet's Voice needed his first run) Poet's Voice looked all over the best horse until his over exertions kicked in.

Not sure about that both the first two looked to be struggling on the ground and class got them past . PV looks very speedy but not at all sure he will get a mile unless he learns to settle .

Agree about the settling point. I think he will get a mile if he learns to settle. Interesting that Crisford was making the point that they wanted to settle him in but he just jumps too quick from the stalls. I'm not sure would he sit in behind a pacemaker - this is something they need to try at home as he'll come last if lit up in the way a pacemaker can do to horses with headstrong tendancies.

Back