St leger

swedish chef

At the Start
St Leger – Record of placed horses in the King Edward V11 Stakes at Royal Ascot

2010 – Arctic Cosmos won – 2nd in (K.E.)

2009 – Father Time 4th – won the (K.E.)

2008 – Conduit won – 2nd in (K.E.)

2007 – Lucarno won – 2nd in (K.E.)

2006 – Sixties Icon won (race run at York) – 3rd in (K.E.)
2006 – Red Rocks 3rd – (race run at York) – 2nd in (K.E.)

2005 – N/A

2004 – N/A

2003 – N/A

2002 – Bollin Eric won – 2nd in (K.E.)
2002 – Balakheri 6th – won the (K.E.)
2002 – First Charter 7th – 3rd in (K.E.)

2001 – Milan won – 4th in (K.E.)

Ascot King Edward V11 result 2011
1st Nathaniel
2nd Fiorente
3rd Alexander Pope
4th Mijhaar

In the last 10years there’s been 5 horses who finished 2nd in the King Edward V11 Stakes who ran in the St Leger – 4 won and the other finished 3rd.
The natural progression would be to run and win or place in either York’s Great Voltigeur, Goodwood’s Gordon Stakes or The Grand Prix de Paris.

Nathaniel looks an obvious choice and is a deserved fav but there are negative vibes about him running in the St Leger and the two horses who won the KE V11 and ran in the St Leger didn’t place – so there’s no value at the odds imo. He's also likely to run in The Princess Of Wales at Newmarket next week – an unconventional route.

Alexander Pope looks like he may be sacrificed as a pacemaker in the Coral Eclipse and has entries in the Juddmonte and Irish Champion so they obviously feel he’s a 10f horse.

Fiorente 15.5 (betfair) the stats look in favour of this horse – a typical Stoute improver who I’d expect to be aimed at the St Leger maybe taking in two more races before the final classic, one of those being York’s Great Voltigeur. If all goes to plan I’d hope to trade out at under half those odds for a free bet.

Some very suitable horses could turn up in this... difficult job of second guessing at this stage.

St Leger – Record of placed horses in the King Edward V11 Stakes at Royal Ascot

2010 – Arctic Cosmos won – 2nd in (K.E.)

2009 – Father Time 4th – won the (K.E.)

2008 – Conduit won – 2nd in (K.E.)

2007 – Lucarno won – 2nd in (K.E.)

2006 – Sixties Icon won (race run at York) – 3rd in (K.E.)
2006 – Red Rocks 3rd – (race run at York) – 2nd in (K.E.)

2005 – N/A

2004 – N/A

2003 – N/A

2002 – Bollin Eric won – 2nd in (K.E.)
2002 – Balakheri 6th – won the (K.E.)
2002 – First Charter 7th – 3rd in (K.E.)

2001 – Milan won – 4th in (K.E.)

Ascot King Edward V11 result 2011
1st Nathaniel
2nd Fiorente
3rd Alexander Pope
4th Mijhaar

In the last 10years there’s been 5 horses who finished 2nd in the King Edward V11 Stakes who ran in the St Leger – 4 won and the other finished 3rd.
The natural progression would be to run and win or place in either York’s Great Voltigeur, Goodwood’s Gordon Stakes or The Grand Prix de Paris.

Nathaniel looks an obvious choice and is a deserved fav but there are negative vibes about him running in the St Leger and the two horses who won the KE V11 and ran in the St Leger didn’t place – so there’s no value at the odds imo. He's also likely to run in The Princess Of Wales at Newmarket next week – an unconventional route.

Alexander Pope looks like he may be sacrificed as a pacemaker in the Coral Eclipse and has entries in the Juddmonte and Irish Champion so they obviously feel he’s a 10f horse.

Fiorente 15.5 (betfair) the stats look in favour of this horse – a typical Stoute improver who I’d expect to be aimed at the St Leger maybe taking in two more races before the final classic, one of those being York’s Great Voltigeur. If all goes to plan I’d hope to trade out at under half those odds for a free bet.

You can picture an Ascot stewards inquiry after the KE7 Stakes:

"Moore, you dropped your hands a good 50 yards before the line and let another horse win. What have you to say for yourself?"

"The plan for this horse is the St Leger, so it was essential to be only second today".

Last edited:
You can picture an Ascot stewards inquiry after the KE7 Stakes:

"Moore, you dropped your hands a good 50 yards before the line and let another horse win. What have you to say for yourself?"

"The plan for this horse is the St Leger, so it was essential to be only second today".

I never thought Moore might of known about these stats before I did, thanks Grey :rolleyes:

Fiorente may not go for the race. When asked about the race as a target for the horse, Stoute said something along the lines of "I hope he's a bit better than that." Bear in mind he's also got a likely contender in Sea Moon.

Fiorente may not go for the race. When asked about the race as a target for the horse, Stoute said something along the lines of "I hope he's a bit better than that." Bear in mind he's also got a likely contender in Sea Moon.

They said the same about Conduit when he finished 2nd in the K.E.7 - Their Leger runners were going to be Paktai and Tartan Bearer. Pretty sure the first named was fav as well but neither turned up.

I don’t know what plans Godolphin have for Laatafreet but he is Saeed bin Suroor’s sole representative in this. The unexposed Leicester maiden winner is a son of Singspiel (damsire Darshaan). My initial investigations indicate great stamina potential (although he has only run as far as 10 furlongs to date). He’s available at 50/1. Thought it worth flagging up at this stage anyway.

Already on Sea Moon at 7/1. Will look at O’Brien’s when he gives us a better clue who will represent.

Last edited:
Don't like the SL it's an avatar - err anabolic - err acrostic.

Throw back in time, that's what it is.

For 6yo and upwards only.
And stick some obstacles in the way.

Whiplash Willie misses rest of season with injury

BY RODNEY MASTERS 2:37PM 29 AUG 2011

LADBROKES St Leger hope Whiplash Willie will miss the final Classic of the season due to injury.

Trained by Andrew Balding for owner/breeders Steven and Jeremy Hitchins, Whiplash Willie had been as short as 25-1 for the St Leger while he was also a 16-1 chance for the Betfred Cesarewitch at Newmarket in October.
Whiplash Willie had edged into the St Leger reckoning with victories at Salisbury and Glorious Goodwood before finishing second to Parlour Games in the Melrose Stakes at York's Ebor festival.

Speaking to racingpost.com on Monday, Balding said: "Whiplash Willie has had a setback and will not run in the St Leger. As a result we've decided to pull stumps with him for the season."

Whiplash Willie becomes the latest runner to defect from the St Leger, which takes place at Doncaster on September 10, after Namibian was ruled out for the season after undergoing colic surgery.

Back