Staking

For example I might have £60 on a 20/1 shot but I wouldn't bother having £60 at evens as it'd be pointless.

I remember having £60 on Toronado to win the Queen Anne at evens, I was listening on the radio at work and I swear it took 10 mins to prize my fingers from the steering wheel :lol:

I remember having £60 on Toronado to win the Queen Anne at evens, I was listening on the radio at work and I swear it took 10 mins to prize my fingers from the steering wheel :lol:

My biggest ever bet is probably £25. I place too great a value on £60 to risk it betting!

My biggest ever bet is probably £25. I place too great a value on £60 to risk it betting!

That's actually reassuring to know, I always got the impression that most folk on here would give Patrick Veitch a run for his money :lol:

There is nothing at all wrong with betting £25 or £60 as your max bet. You will get the same satisfaction that a massive punter will betting 10k. Its only problem gamblers I feel sorry form, those poor souls have no chance.

Last edited:
There is anything at all wrong with betting £25 or £60 as your max bet. You will get the same satisfaction that a massive punter will betting 10k. Its only problem gamblers I feel sorry form, those poor souls have no chance.

This resonates with me.

I keep stakes to what, by most, would be considered to be relatively meagre levels. I have neither the balls nor the money to be any more ambitious. £50 would be a big bet for me.

Yet if I have a decent winner on course the people around me would probably think I'd just landed the touch of the century and be getting straight on the phone to tell my boss to 'stick it'. No greater feeling in the world than being on one at a decent price when it pings the last and draws clear, whatever you've got riding on it.

This resonates with me.

I keep stakes to what, by most, would be considered to be relatively meagre levels. I have neither the balls nor the money to be any more ambitious. £50 would be a big bet for me.

Yet if I have a decent winner on course the people around me would probably think I'd just landed the touch of the century and be getting straight on the phone to tell my boss to 'stick it'. No greater feeling in the world than being on one at a decent price when it pings the last and draws clear, whatever you've got riding on it.

I got seriously annoyed at Leopardstown when a group of us cheered home an odds on shot in the bumper. A few of us were on a double and a few were cheering it on because a punter in the group who is a massive (but awful) gambler was on big. A guy in front of us turned around and gave a few snide remarks about cheering home a jolly and suggesting we couldn't have won much. There is nothing worse than a begrudging genius like that.

I know some seriously shrewd punters who I'd follow on who never go over £50-£100. As my ex-girlfriends sister used to say, "Size doesn't matter Slim"...

Last edited:
I got seriously annoyed at Leopardstown when a group of us cheered home an odds on shot in the bumper. A few of us were on a double and a few were cheering it on because a punter in the group who is a massive (but awful) gambler was on big. A guy in front of us turned around and gave a few snide remarks about cheering home a jolly and suggesting we couldn't have won much. There is nothing worse than a begrudging genius like that.

I know some seriously shrewd punters who I'd follow on who never go over £50-£100. As my ex-girlfriends sister used to say, "Size doesn't matter Slim"...

I'm afraid to say that I would no sooner get on a horse 'big' than I would my girlfriend's sister.

In the great game of 'stick or twist' we call 'life', a high risk strategy for me would involve risking a week's worth of ear ache from the good lady for dipping into next week's milk money to fund a couple of lines on the placepot at Hexham.

My middle name is 'Danger'.

Back