start your grizzling now

Why would Hull KR build a stadium in Cheltenham?

Does this madness know no bounds :eek:

Not Hull KR - Cheltenham FC are also the Robins. I didn't see the interview myself but from what I could gather it will be going on the north side of the racecourse.

Wonder what will happen when the fixtures clash?

If memory serves the County Hurdle has not always been the finale - I seem to remember in 1987 for instance it was the penultimate race with the now defunct Cathcart bringing up the rear, and certainly as far back as 1973 (I still have the racecard!) the Cathcart was run last.

I can see C4 wanting it earlier, as well as the bookies who I presume expect greater turnover with a terrestrial slot. Having said that, as the ultimate "getting out stakes" I would have thought the County Hurdle would have had very high turnover anyway, and being "promoted" to Race 2 might actually reduce turnover as punters may elect to wait for the non-handicap races prior to looking to get out of trouble or play up winnings in the closing handicaps.

If memory serves the County Hurdle has not always been the finale - I seem to remember in 1987 for instance it was the penultimate race with the now defunct Cathcart bringing up the rear, and certainly as far back as 1973 (I still have the racecard!) the Cathcart was run last.quote]

I remember that too, I think it still was the last race well into the 80s.

Maybe putting two competitive handicaps at the end of the card is a ploy to stop the proper racing fans from sloping off after the Gold Cup. Certainly the Grand Annual will keep me there to the end.

From Gloucester Echo

TOP racing pundit John McCririck has called for the National Hunt Festival at Cheltenham Racecourse to be extended to five days.
The larger-than-life celebrity – known as Big Mac – said he was delighted when the biggest jumps meeting in the world was moved to four days at Prestbury Park in 2005.
And now he wants racecourse bosses to take an even more radical and potentially controversial step by adding an extra day and running the Gold Cup – the most prestigious race in the sport – on the Saturday.
The March meeting, which generates around £50million for the town, will continue to run from Tuesday through to Friday for at least one more year.

Course bosses will then consider whether to start the Festival a day later.

McCririck admits the move to five days will take time, but sees no reason why it shouldn’t happen eventually.

He said: “Cheltenham is where everyone wants to be and everyone wants to win, and that’s why it’s good that it’s now four days.
“I think it should be Wednesday through Saturday and in the end I wouldn’t mind a five-day Cheltenham.
“It would be a long way ahead, though. The battle was 30 years ago to get it to four days.”
The Gold Cup, won this year by Denman, has been run on Friday following the extension of the meeting from three to four days.
It was run on the Thursday when that was the final day of a three-day meeting.
Edward Gillespie, managing director of the racecourse, says there are no immediate plans to move the Gold Cup to Saturday or extend the meeting to five days.
But he admitted that the future of the meeting was always under review.
Graham Townley, who runs Better Bookmakers in the High Street said: “We’d be all for it, we’d see an increase in business and more people in town.”
But he added: “From the point of view of a racing fan I wouldn’t want to see the extra races dilute the quality of the meeting.”
Chairman of Cheltenham Business Partnership, Martin Quantock, said an extra day, especially Saturday, might not be of benefit .
He added: “At the moment, from Tuesday to Friday, the town centre takes a bit of a hit.
“Local people stay away from the town because they think it is gridlocked. In fact it’s not, because everybody is at the racecourse, so if locals stay away it can be like a graveyard.”
He added: “Saturday is always a very important trading day and businesses make a third of their money on it in a normal week.
“It’s even more important after the Festival, when people have been away, so it might not benefit the town centre at all to have more racing if that keeps people away.”
Deputy-manager of O’Neill’s pub in Montpellier, Sarah Williams, approved of the idea.
She said: “We have extra staff for the whole week anyway, so we wouldn’t need more, although there would be extra pressure from increased trading hours.
“I think the extra trade with more people about would be good for us and also good for the town, so we’d be all in favour.”
County Councillor for Oakley, Pittville and Prestbury David Prince was against the idea.
He said: “I’m a racing fanatic and member of Cheltenham racecourse for over 20 years but I’m against it. The only reason to move the Gold Cup to Saturday is for television, it’s a financial consideration.”
“It would also bring Saturday shoppers into conflict with the racing, the park and ride at the racecourse would be unavailable, Cheltenham Town couldn’t play at home that day, and there’d be extra crowds, traffic and parking problems. To be honest four days is enough.”

Ever since they went to 4 days it was a matter of time - more than one poster on here said so at the time IIRC.

I can't really see why the most prestigious race of the season should be run at a time when the vast majority of the population are stuck in work and unable to see it. How is that good for the sport?

County Councillor for Oakley, Pittville and Prestbury David Prince was against the idea.

“It would also bring Saturday shoppers into conflict with the racing, the park and ride at the racecourse would be unavailable, Cheltenham Town couldn’t play at home that day, and there’d be extra crowds, traffic and parking problems. To be honest four days is enough.”

Councillors eh. Don`t you just love `em. What a complete bellend.

This could be the penultimate year of the traditional Tuesday start to Cheltenham. The idea of a Saturday climax to the Festival, previously deadbatted by the organisers, was given fresh momentum yesterday when Edward Gillespie, the managing director, indicated it was “very possible in 2012”.

Gillespie ascribes the development to Racing For Change. “Saturday is not an option while we have to buy our way into it by acquiring someone else's fixture. It makes no business sense simply to make another course rich. But we're aware that the opportunity may now arise through Racing For Change opening up the fixture process.
“I wouldn't say we're under pressure to do it but I do feel there is an appetite for Festival Saturdays. In my view, 2012 is the earliest it could happen and it's not inevitable even then. We haven't begun any consultations but we'd be competing with Premier League football and international rugby, so we'd need to be sure-footed.”

Gillespie, who dismissed all thought of a five-day Festival, revealed that Friday is currently “twice as profitable as any of the other three days”, casting doubt on whether the Gold Cup would be moved to a Saturday. “Opinions are divided on that one,” he said.
More than 190,000 Festival tickets have been sold so far and Gold Cup day is close to capacity. Also approaching sell-out is the stock of 5,000 scarves purchased by Cheltenham to promote the third duel between Kauto Star and Denman. Kauto is outselling his rival 60-40.

If Cheltenham raced on Saturday, it's most likely that the Gold Cup day would still be Friday, with the slightly flat Thursday card shunted, at least in part to the Saturday.

I'd agree with that, but it would give people back their three day Festival, if they simply pretended Saturday didn't exist!

Before I read your input I thought - well at least they are not going 5 days and I can live with it ending on a Saturday. But for the Ryanair Chase and Stayers Hurdle to end the meeting it would be awful.

I dont like the 1.30 start on the first three days at least as getting there can be a pain if a flight is delayed. Although in fairness, the Irish are fairly marginal to the festival. The big race moved to 4th is great, but I can't imagine a festival that doesn't end with the County Hurdle.

Whilst I've never been to the Festival I drink in an Irish bar where most have been at various times. 'They' love this spectacle. Very surprised at your comment, an capall? Particularly given the latter strength of Irish yards at Cheltenham. I would go so far as to say that their presence is intrinsic.
Also, don't forget St Patrick's day. Slap bang in the middle of proceedings.
Irish bring to bear a huge influence. Even if they have no horse winner just look at those riding ;)

What would be the point of Saturday being part of the Festival if they don't run the Gold Cup that day? Surely part of the original argument by Cheltenham was that the race would get greater exposure if run on a Saturday?

Seems that the move to a Saturday Gold Cup would be more to ensure that the course is filled to capacity every year as Cheltenham were earlier worried that (apart from the Kauto Star/Denman clash this year) ticket sales would be down due to the recession. Due to crowd-size restrictions, they surely wouldn't get any more people in than the amount stipulated by the HSE.

TV coverage of the Gold Cup probably wouldn't have much effect as many people actually - :blink: - do not like racing, particularly now that there are so many other spectator sports available on TV, unlike racing's "glory days" when it dominated the sports pages and TV screens, because there was little competition from other sports. Hence the recent trend of promoting racing as a social occasion with a bit of sport outside the bar - if you can be bothered to look in between necking as much booze as you can guzzle and queueing for the Tote.

Apart from which, what would happen to the Midlands National at Uttoxeter which, unlike Cheltenham, really does need the exposure?

Last edited:
Back