Stewards Grow Some Balls...

Guest_

At the Start
By Irish standards this is pretty noteworthy...
Roches fined and banned for Take A Stroll run

By tony o'hehir 2:46PM 19 DEC 2009
TRAINER Christy Roche was fined €2,000 and his amateur rider son Padraig banned for ten days after the stewards investigated the running and riding of 25-1 shot Take A Stroll in the 2m maiden hurdle at Navan on Saturday.

Take A Stroll, who is owned by J P McManus, was banned from racing for 60 days as the stewards considered Christy Roche, who trains at The Curragh and was Irish Flat champion jockey seven time, to have used the racecourse as a training ground.
Padraig Roche was handed his punishment as the stewards believed he had made insufficient effort on the four-year-old, who finished 11th. In his evidence to the stewards he stated that his instructions were to drop his mount in and ride him to finish well as he had disappointed first time out over the same course.
Roche said Take A Stroll had jumped "novicey " and had been outpaced approaching four out before making a mistake two out.
He added that his mount had met with interference after the final hurdle before staying on past beaten horses in the closing stages.
The stewards informed the rider that his evidence was "demonstrably inconsistent with the video evidence " and that they would not accept it.
Christy Roche was not at the meeting and was represented at the inquiry by Frank Berry, McManus's racing manager

Well clearly the Stewards spent all their time looking at this and missed the fact that the ground was frozen for the last two races. An absolute farce and I've just started my letter to the Turf Club. The last thing racing needed was the communication shambles at Navan.

Cantoris - yaawn. Write your letter. Non-triers in Irish racing are a weekly occurance. The fact that this thread was even started with the title it has is insulting to punters.

Last edited:
I don't and refuse to believe there is any trainer out there that intentially goes out and asks a horse to be stopped.

I hope Take A Stroll and connections can fight this vendetta that the outside world have with Racing and win a race or two not only for connections but for the sake of all horsemen and women in Ireland.

I don't and refuse to believe there is any trainer out there that intentially goes out and asks a horse to be stopped.

I hope Take A Stroll and connections can fight this vendetta that the outside world have with Racing and win a race or two not only for connections but for the sake of all horsemen and women in Ireland.
Bless!

Racecourse stewards are "the outside world" now? Crikey, they're usually berated for being completely out of touch with it!

I'm not sure about TAKE A STROLL fighting anything. When asked for a comment this evening, he snarled, "Take a stroll? Ye can take a fockin' hike, mister. I wuz just in it for the extra haylage, like, that I was promised. An' I can see there's none in me net, so bogger off."

Hypocrites, if I was a trainer I wouldn't let any of you near my yard - call yourself racing fans? joke.

Hypocrites, if I was a trainer I wouldn't let any of you near my yard - call yourself racing fans? joke.

You can't blame people responding to your post as you would have to be very innocent to believe that since the likes of betfair have appeared that there are not people (and their friends/contacts)laying their own horses to lose.

Plenty of trainers stop horses, it happens on a daily basis. Plenty get caught every year and I've even heard from trainers directly how much it happens.

Luke is either winding us up or is the most naive person I've ever come across.

It's because we are racing fans, with a good number of us connected to the industry, that we're not hypocrites, LukeWilson. Realistic, cynical and critical about certain issues, ecstatic about certain horses and complimentary about many trainers, yes. We'd be 'hypocrites' if we said there was nothing wrong in the racing world, because we know that there is plenty that should be corrected.

If you're trying to wind people up, I'd trawl for a serious reaction elsewhere, because it's not going to happen on here, even if you do have to resort to being rude about people you don't know.

Last edited:
You can't blame people responding to your post as you would have to be very innocent to believe that since the likes of betfair have appeared that there are not people (and their friends/contacts)laying their own horses to lose.

There was no corruption pre-Betfair.

Someone hasn't read their racing history books! Some of the best 'pulls' occurred in the 19th century, let alone those in the 20th. Wagering among the toffs, y'know, didn't always make for a free and fair sport. Not when you were likely to lose Toffington Manor in the process!

Horses have been pulled, wrongly placed in the field, doped, blown up with buckets of water, over-run beforehand, you name the game, with the full blessing of both trainers and/or owners and the connivance of jockeys, since the sport started. Once money was sighted, it wasn't always a question of honesty - some were stopped so that an owner in debt to another could repay it by t'other one wagering his own less-favoured 'winner'. All kinds of reasons why sharp practice occurred and still does.

There has obviously been a break up in communication here, I am not posting in this thread to wind people up but knowing full well I go on the internet with bold and sarcastic remarks regarding the insinuation of improper race riding tactic and deviant misdoing of trainers then going back and liaising with those peers whose lively hood you’ve just mocked is not in the right nature of a Racing fan.

I for one will stick with the trainers and jockeys as I respect their integrity, commitment and honesty within Racing, it is a hard job they do for little money but their line of work receives unfair and high volumes of criticism which 100% of the time is unjust unless proven in the court of law, even then I still think BHA are digging for a victim.

Honey, a large amount of us posting on here are involved in the industry in a big way and are most definitely 'racing fans' in more ways than most. However we can all see how laughable your assertions about horses never being pulled are.

If you want to fish, go back to the Betfair forum dearie.

Back