Strange Disqualification

montyracing2

At the Start
Found this whilst reading through previous runnings of races at Roscommon (20:00 tomorrow):

Following an inquiry by the stewards of the Turf Club, Carapuncha, who passed the post 1st, was disqualified - ran under the name My Auntie at Ballinasloe (20/06/04) and Dingle (06/08/04, 08/08/04).

Anyone throw any light on the story.

MR2

The Irish Racing Calendar of 07/04/05 (p 276) stated that the horse would be disqualified from all races it had contested between 06/07/04 and 05/11/04 as a result of taking part in unrecognised racemeetings.

Which, admittedly, does not shed a whole lot more light on the matter.

It says to me that the Turf Club have uncovered evidence that the horse Carapuncha had previously run in flapping meetings as My Auntie and as such is not qualified to run under rules subsequent to running in flapping races.

No idea but it's something similar to that which happened to Ballygowan Beauty (also ran at Dingle) and to Chestnut Charlie (ran as The Boxer at Dingle).

Basically if you run under rules you can't run in such unlicensed race meetings or "pony racing" as it's regularly called. Once you contest a pony race you aren't allowed to contest any races under "rules" as it's termed. As such the horse is disqualified from any runs subsequent to the first pony race it contested.

Expect the trainer to get warned off as happened to Lindsay Woods in the Chestnut Charlie (currently running in some nice races in France) case.

The Ballygowan Beauty case makes very interesting reading though Monty - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/article379473.ece details of Carapuncha and of Ballygowan Beauty/Bog Road listed here :)

According to her original trainer (Suzanne Cox) she sent the horse to her farrier for a change of scenery - who then ran Carapuncha in flapping races.

It's flapping that is the problem, not pony racing. The two are different disciplines. Chestnut Charlie had been running in flapping races, which are races not run under any type of Turf Club/Jockey Club rules. If any horse runs in a flapping race it is ineligible to run under rules from that point onwards.

It's flapping that is the problem, not pony racing. The two are different disciplines. Chestnut Charlie had been running in flapping races, which are races not run under any type of Turf Club/Jockey Club rules. If any horse runs in a flapping race it is ineligible to run under rules from that point onwards.
Surely flapping and pony racing are synonymous, even if the latter is a misnomer and not to be confused with the occasional sanctioned event for children and proper ponies which are staged at racecourses.

Article about Paul Townend on DonnMcLean.com:
He spent three years on the pony racing circuit, traversing Kerry, Limerick and West Cork in search of winners. His talents were quickly noted and he was much in demand. He was leading jockey twice in Dingle (the Cheltenham of pony racing) and he managed to land the Dingle Derby once, the Holy Grail of pony racing.

From an article by Michael Clower on Timesonlin:

Dingle runners get out of jail
The most extraordinary admission by the Turf Club at last Monday’s Dublin press conference was that it has been turning a blind eye to people running horses at the Dingle Derby meeting each August. This Co Kerry fixture is the highlight of the pony racing year but in racing parlance it is a ‘flapper track’ and Turf Club rules stipulate that anyone with a licence who attends in any capacity except as a spectator will be warned off.

Pony racing in the UK and pony racing in Ireland are very different. In the UK I think there are 3 different juristictions; The Jockey club (BHA)/Pony Club/someone else who i can't remember, but they are run under JC rules, unlike in Ireland. Which is why you'll see trainers kids riding in them without the risk of them being warned off like in Ireland. Tyrone Williams was one of the top flap jockeys in the borders and he still work rides, he might even have had official rides recently, haven't looked that one up. A lot of young apprentices started their riding careers as flap jockeys. You really can't compare it with Ireland

How do they contradict each other?

Irish rules stipulate that any person with a license that participates in pony racing will be warned; at the time the likes of Danny Mullins (as well as Paul Townend, Nina Carberry and countless others) rode on the circuit they did not hold licenses in any capacity.

Well in the UK trainers train the horses and their children ride..... so they are competing in a capacity other than spectating, think i've seen enough pony racing this season to know our rules. haha forget it you obviously know more than i do

edit: incase I didn't make myself clear enough, Pony racing in the UK and flapping racing in the UK are totally different entities. Whereas it seems in Ireland Pony racing and flapping are the same thing. That is what i'm trying to say. UK pony racing is run by either the PRA (mini verson of JC), the point to points or the pony club.

Last edited:
I know virtually nothing about the English pony racing scene (and never claimed I did), but in Ireland trainers cannot train the horses (or at least they aren't supposed to) even if their sons/daughters participate on the pony racing circuit before going on to ride under rules. Not trying to patronize you or anything BTW, as it's clearly different in the UK.

Sorry I edited at the same time as you posted your reply.... I think we are on the same wavelength!! I hope I do know our rules as we ran one this year (with no success!! lol) you ertainly notice a big difference in the UK regions even.

I just think that it confuses the issue to call flapping pony racing, not least since in the UK at least the two disclipines are very different; one is legal and one is not.

As for Ireland, is ALL flapping called pony racing? I was under the (possibly erroneous) impression that although they may be closely involved with each other at times they were still separate entities?

Plenty of Irish jockeys rode a lot of winners in pony racing - Aidan Coleman and Peter 'Ace' Ryan spring to mind immediately.

Why was it in the race in the first place,

My Auntie was a Dingle you couldent make it up,

Emerdale or what

:confused:

I just think that it confuses the issue to call flapping pony racing, not least since in the UK at least the two disclipines are very different; one is legal and one is not.

Now now, it's being going on in Ireland, and the Scottish borders, a lot longer than it has in England, in recent times at least.

As for Ireland, is ALL flapping called pony racing?

It suits the riders to call it pony racing, but the creatures they ride are flappers.

Wouldn't you think it would be the other way round, that it's mostly the riders who do the flapping?

Now now, it's being going on in Ireland, and the Scottish borders, a lot longer than it has in England, in recent times at least.

I know that!! Now, now - you forgot Wales, it's big there too!! :p

Anyway, are Scotland and Wales not part of the UK?! :D

Back