Strictly horse or horse-racing books?

Man O'War is on 139 on the Randall and Morris ("revised Timeform") list, alongside Windsor Lad, Abernant, Peintre Celebre, Alydar, Brantome, Hurry On, Count Fleet, Epinard and Bahram. Sea Bird was given top spot at 145.

Hi Redhead,

They (Amazon) have:
Braddock's Complete Guide to Horse Race Selection and Betting: With Statistical Information by "Racing Post" by Tony Stafford and Peter Braddock (Hardcover - 19 Mar 1990)

and:

Big Race Guide by Peter Braddock, Ed Byrne, and Alec Russel (Hardcover - 6 Mar 1989)

Any bells ringing? :)

Hi Michael

The first one is the book that I found really informative as it gives a basic system for selection, covering such aspects as going, class, weight etc.

The "Big Race Guide" I haven't come across, although he also wrote one called "Braddock's Guide to the Pattern". Being dated 1989, I wouldn't think it would be very relevant as there has been quite a bit of tinkering with a lot of the major races over the past few years.

If you want a good, basic guide to the main aspects of selection, I would recommend the first book. :)

I've read quite a lot of bioigraphies and autobiographies of jockeys and trainers and learned a little from each of them. the older ones are especially useful as they did things differently then! - though not for current punting purposes of course

This new book was discussed recently though the thread has vanished
http://www.racinghorsesbook.com/

I agree with a lot of what I read [not yet all] but not with his premise that breeding to race is a way to the poorhouse - on the contrary I think it's sensible if you can afford it!

PS racecards often have 'beginners guides' to terminology in them, and other useful info about betting

Last edited:
The thread was about O'Gorman's book in particular if I remember correctly [which I often don't!]. I put O'Gorman into the search box and nothing came up at all! So maybe it was the thread you linked to

By the way I found Sir Peter O'Sullevan's book 'Calling the Horses' very informative in general terms - though I realise Michael is looking for something more basic to do with how races are run, the racing programme etc etc

Last edited:
Noticed on Amazon that there's a new book coming out, called 'Racehorse' I think, written by Elwyn Hartley-Edwards who wrote a lot of the years about various equestrian topics. As it's only available for pre-order there's obviously no reviews yet but I'll try and post up the link to the synopsis if I can.

New books have arrived

I've just today received "Braddock's Complete Guide To Horse Race Selection & Betting" (£00.01p on Amazon, plus £2.75p p&p);
also "Class Figures" by Stuart Eaton (£9.00)

I do like the look of the Braddock book and it's in very good condition (hard back, too.) It is a bit dated -- 3rd edition, 1983, 250pp -- but seems to be factual (big +) and at first glance well written (+).

Not quite so sure about the Class book: it's a 'Raceform' imprint (150 pp, spaced print) & the author refers to successfully using Raceform Interactive to aid his research. However (ahem!), it is about Class and so I'm happy at this point to have it in the queue. If he delves into making a system to generate Class figures, that will still be interesting, but not an avenue I'd like to pursue in itself.

Still, trying to be methodical, I have yet to finish "The Horse God Built"; after 150 pages, some 2% have been about ... Secretariat (gee, thanks) and the rest more or less romanticizing about his groom, owners, jockeys, admirers ... but it'll get fully read -- well, skimmed thoroughly, actually, to find the Secretariat stuff.

Some books on Amazon have several detailed reviews written about them which give you an idea. Others do not. Might be an idea to add your opinions once you have read something, could help the next person.

Buying through Amazon isn't as good as leafing through a book: you don't have a good idea of what you're getting.

No, that is a drawback, but the upside is that someone, somewhere often has an out-of-print copy. I've just imported a couple (not on racing), by a long out-of-print author whose books are becoming collectables, at very reasonable prices, including p&p.

BTW, after my bookcase collapsed in the early hours of this morning, I found another book that might be of use to you - Mark Coton's "100 hints for Better Betting".

Again, bite-sized chunks of information and much more readable than his previous work "Value Betting" which, not being terribly numerate, I found quite heavy going.

Back