Strong Jockeys

Kauto

At the Start
Apart from the obvious i.e Fortune, Dettori, what other strong jockeys are out there that people like to see on horses?

Strong as in will get that bit extra out of a horse when it looks like theres nothing more to give.

Lifting weight doesn't make you strong on a horse, technique on a well schooled and fit animal makes you a strong rider. A jockey should have the same ability as both a gymnast and ballet dancer.

Physical - Fortune
Technique - Dettori
Determination - Fallon (though he may not count as he isn't riding at the minute)

Future possible combination of the above Beuzellin

Ryan Moore, Jimmy Quinn, Paul Doe, Chris Catlin on the AW, Jim Crowley, Mickey Fenton, Pat Dobbs, Hayley Turner - and they can all finesse, as well.

Have you seen the state of Catlin going to post? He's horrendous hands and it usually looks like he's completely shitting himself!

I knew you'd have to diss at least one of them! Doesn't matter - he's a strong rider on the AW, whether you like him or not. He gets results on that surface, although I wouldn't rate him the same on turf.

Seriously Kri, watch him next time he goes to post. Personally I'd rather not have someone on board who shits himself on the way to the post and carves their mouths up at the same time. That said, a fair few of the flat boys are terrible going down.

Last edited:
You're not wrong - there are quite a few who look like they'd rather be anywhere but on board! But Chris has a really doleful face, and I think I've seen him smile once in five years - Ryan's a hoot compared to him!

There are some still with very bad hands, which I'm quite surprised at, since I'd have thought that when they were either training in the BRS or apprentices, they'd have been told off strongly by their trainers. Equally, I hate to see squirly horses getting jagged in the mouth in the ring by their handlers - it's not the 'foreigners' to blame all the time, either - plenty of grumpy British girls think that the only control is a sharp series of jags - which just sees the head go up and then more jags to try and get it down! Personally, I'd give any staff two chances and then tell them they would be fired on the third occasion.

I agree - anybody leading up who gives them a lot of socks in the mouth unnecessarily wants a bollocking - I certainly would have got them! With the going down, I find that the problem is a good ten times - no, more! - worse with the flat cheese nibblers rather than NH jocks. They go down to post sawing away at their mouths all the time; contrast that with watching jumpers go to post when the jocks usually drop their hands and go down nicely.

I agree - anybody leading up who gives them a lot of socks in the mouth unnecessarily wants a bollocking - I certainly would have got them! With the going down, I find that the problem is a good ten times - no, more! - worse with the flat cheese nibblers rather than NH jocks. They go down to post sawing away at their mouths all the time; contrast that with watching jumpers go to post when the jocks usually drop their hands and go down nicely.

There are plenty of those about. There was some gormless blonde leading up one of Paul Midgley's runners at Beverley on Monday evening who kept taking a good yank at its mouth every 20 seconds or so. She couldn't hold it so over came someone who appeared a bit more official, presumably a Head Lad or something and they then had two yank at its mouth as it walked around the ring. Shameful.

Seriously Kri, watch him next time he goes to post. Personally I'd rather not have someone on board who shits himself on the way to the post and carves their mouths up at the same time. That said, a fair few of the flat boys are terrible going down.

Too much information

:D

You've got to wonder about who schools the horses, don't you? If they've had someone on board who's a bit nervy themselves, then I guess the poor animals will have been jagged and sawed at, and have developed worrying head habits. You see some colts who are really cheeky in the ring going to post like old riding-school hacks, no naughtiness at all, and then you get some sweet-looking little filly who fusses and fizzes as if her tail's on fire. Gotta wonder what the breaking-in and schooling process has been like for them - some get the breaks, some just get broken. And they are so bloody difficult to undo in later life, when their owners want them to have a nice retirement into something less taxing.

Fallon's strong in a finish.

Can't think of too many that really make a difference these days.

Willie Supple can ride a race.

I still like Kinane as an all rounder. Great hands. Wonderful with 2-y-os especially.

Most of the others I wouldn't give you tuppence for.

Back