Sublimity

eric c

At the Start
Sublimity was not withdrawn last Tuesday because of ground.
His owner underwent a major surgical operation on Wednesday---would still be in ICU---and did not want the horse to run.
John Carr said after AIG that he thought Sublimity would have beaten Sizing Europe if he been allowed run him.

Sounds bizzarre, you'd have thought the onus would be on trying to give the horse the best chance of retaining his crown, and if that means observing a pre-designed programme, than so be it. Now obviously I don't know what the condition of the owner is, but it seems fair to assume it's quite serious, and there might be an ethical issue etc but it's not as if horses don't run on a regular basis without owners being in attendance. Certainly the ground doesn't appear to have been an issue though, so I'm prepared to accept the explanation, it's just that it strikes me is slightly odd, but not being in possession of the full facts, I suppose I shouldn't be so judgemental

Eric's story backs up - Bill Hennessy is not well at the moment

Although whether Sublimity would have beaten SE is another thing......

Bill Hennessy's a youngish bloke isn't he ? Saw Sublimity being ridden on the gallops in November by a youngish geezer and John Carr told us the owner always rides him out.

RP News In Brief SHennessy has major op

BILL Hennessy, owner of Champion Hurdle winner Sublimity, is recovering in a Dublin hospital after a major operation on Wednesday.

His son, Robbie, said on Friday: “My father underwent a three-hour yesterday. He's recovering but he will be in hospital for two weeks and will have to take things easy for a few months.” ection:

after AIG that he thought Sublimity would have beaten Sizing Europe if he been allowed run him.

i love that....actually reads...oh sh:t ...ours will never beat that

May be it was Robbie then.

This is an article from Setanata Sports, obviously not privy to Eric's info and regarding the plans from here on in.

John Carr believes that Sublimity is still the horse to beat in the Smurfit Kappa Champion Hurdle in March.

The reigning champion was usurped as market leader for the race after Sizing Europe's trouncing of his AIG Europe Champion Hurdle foes on Sunday at Leopardstown.

Sublimity was pulled out of the race earlier in the week when the track was not far off unraceable, and Carr does not regret his absence, even if conditions had dried considerably by Sunday.

He told setantasports.com: "You can't regret now. If I thought it was going to improve like it did, I'd have left him in until the last minute. Our yard isn't far from Leopardstown and I couldn't see things improving like they did. I misjudged the weather.

"The ground wouldn't have been ideal anyway and if we had ended up running him, we'd be riding him for a place and hopefully to get home on the ground. Tacky ground is often much worse than heavy ground.

"The main reason I don't regret is he'd have probably had a hard race and you'd bottom him out very quick. He mightn't have bounced back for a few weeks.

"It doesn't worry me that he did not run - the only thing that worries me is if anything happens in the mean time. We're far fitter now than we are this time last year. We're actually ahead of our schedule and we even have a bit of time to play around with."

Carr opines that Sizing Europe's display on Sunday was not - on the face of it - any better than Sublimity's at Cheltenham last March.

The Maynooth handler argued: "He beat Hardy Eustace and Al Eile - did we not beat Hardy equally as well in the Champion Hurdle?

"The favourite's tag is irrelevant really. And another thing: we know he'll make it a good gallop for us. The race is going to unfold the same as last year."

Carr will keep Sublimity busy between now and Cheltenham.

"We'll follow the plan as closely as I did last year. We're going to go here and there every ten days - Dundalk, The Curragh, my neighbour Eddie Cawley's and Colin Magnier's gallop.

"We'll bring him to Leopardstown for the gallops before the festival and we will give him a variation of work - he pricks his ears when he goes away and loves it."

Carr narrows the race down to Sublimity, Sizing Europe and Osana, while giving Straw Bear an outside chance. He is happy that the champion is considerably fitter than he was when well-beaten in the Bula Hurdle.

"I was happy enough that day - he was a lot less fit than I thought he was. I didn't think he'd blow up. It was a lack of fitness. I'm not an old stager at Cheltenham but that course they ran on that day is a different course. It doesn't suit a speed horse.

"If we get a clear run, I'd be very confident. He is still the horse to beat."

People are getting over excited about SE's performance.... ignoring form, times etc..

The press and public just wanted a 'hero' to 'hail' with a weak Chempion Hurdle market and horses dropping out by the new time...

In my opinion Sublimity's performance in the Champion Hurdle was far superior to SE's over course, trip and 'official' ground (can be argued in SE's favour that the ground was far from soft on CH day last March) but 17 seconds is a long time.. not withstanding the field Sublimity beat in that race... in my opinion far superior to the muddling affair in the Irish equivalent....

I would also be concerned for SE if the ground came up good or better at Cheltenham as while I think he'll handle it I don't think we'll see him at his best...

SE's jumping has to be looked at... jumping as big, bold and slow at Cheltenham in a Champion Hurldle will be very costly... indeed connections admitted that they were toying with a larger obstacle campagin up to recently

Osana and SE's will probably make it.. this can only play into Sublimity's hand..

Sublimity has improved from last year and while SE's win has to be respected I think Sublimity will be able to deal with him on the day with ease if all is ok..

He's the Champion... and 5/1 is EXTREMELY good value.

AoB

SE's way of balloning his fences or 'steeplechasing' them is what worried me too
In most races he can get away with it but in the ChH.......
It's hard enough to find horses which will def place in this let alone win it!

"Sublimity has improved from last year and while SE's win has to be respected I think Sublimity will be able to deal with him on the day with ease if all is ok.."

What evidence can you have that Sublimity has improved?

We have no evidence whatever that Sublimity has improved surely?
He was fat as a barrel the only time he's run this year so we learned sweet eff alll :suspect:

Originally posted by Headstrong@Feb 1 2008, 10:40 PM
We have no evidence whatever that Sublimity has improved surely?
His Champion Hurdle victory was his sixth start over timber. Plenty of scope for improvement imo.

Of course there has been plenty of scope for improvement in Sublimity this season but the pertinent point is how on earth can anyone state unequivocally that he has improved on the back of one totally inconclusive run whereby he finished only midfield looking quite big at the time? It is guesswork and nothing more to state that he has improved from last season on that evidence.

Of course it`s guess work, but the scope for improvement is there and it has nothing to do with his only run this year. The horse runs well fresh and with the conditions of the race almost certain to be the same as last year he`s probably the best value in the contest right now.

Back