Summer Mile

Group 1 winner fair enough...but its hard the Eclipse, King George, Arc or even something like the Ganey. That list Powerscourt has put up has numerous similar types that they have sold on.

Because you would have to spend around 200,000 to go to his Dad...SOF could be near the 15,000-20,000 mark! I think he will go close in the Arc assuming there is an ease in the going.

Unless Archipenko does something big by the end of the season, he probably would not stand for more than something like Mount Nelson. Possibly a mistake to sell him but hardly a disaster.

Another sell on - Yellowstone - who apparently cost new connections 525,000gns up next at York. First try outside of group company since debut - expected to struggle on the ground but has slim chance as other ROGs have been winning on soft and mare's progeny seem to go on anything. 14/1 - I doubt many will be interested. I'll have a small interest in the place market.

Group 1 winner fair enough...but its hard the Eclipse, King George, Arc or even something like the Ganey. That list Powerscourt has put up has numerous similar types that they have sold on.

The list (thanks for the link Powerscourt) just reinforces what I said in my original post in the subject. The vast majority don't go on to be Group 1 winners - there's maybe 5 from a selective list of over 30 there that did - let alone show enough promise to suggest there's a few more big prizes on the way.

Let's face it - what chance did they give the horse after the Derby? Pacemaking duties?

Possibly the biggest irony in all this is the identity of the man who told Mike de Kock that blinkers would work the oracle on him. A one J Murtagh.

Possibly a mistake to sell him but hardly a disaster.

I'm not characterising it as a disaster. You know you're doing ok when your cast offs are winning big races and it barely registers.

(Go Yellowstone! :p)

From that list...those that did go to win Group 1s after they left Ballydoyle.

Brahms
Frost Giant
Archipenko
Johan Cruyff
Our Falstaff
River Dancer
Sligo Bay

Those that won in America were probably the greatest "losses" but as with Archipenko I doubt they have registered that much.

Travelled really well and could figure in some more races like that or at G3 this season. It will be a tough job to make £500k back from him though!

I didn't count Johan Cruyff and Our Falstaff because their wins were in 'local' Group 1s; i.e. restricted to locally owned horses and therefore not internatiionally recognised as proper Group 1s.

Very nice performance from Archipenko today; if de Kock can coax a touch more improvement from him he could well take a hand in a Group 1 over here IMO. Could be even better at 10 furlongs and on faster ground as well.

Race wasn't run to suit Cesare and he was just caught out by a class horse given a more positive ride. If it wasn't for Archipenko, he probably would have won today IMO.

By Nick Robson, PA Sport
Godolphin have been dealt another blow with the news that last year's star miler Ramonti will miss his defence of the BGC Sussex Stakes at Glorious Goodwood next week.
The six-year-old won four Group Ones last season, including the Queen Anne Stakes and the 10-furlong Hong Kong Cup at Sha Tin.
He missed the first half of this season due to a hind leg infection and after finishing a promising fifth on his return at Ascot earlier this month, the problem has flared up again.
"Unfortunately the hind leg infection that kept Ramonti off the track earlier in the year has recurred and he will have to miss his intended engagement next week," said Godolphin spokesman Simon Crisford.
"All future plans are on hold as we do not know how long this situation will take to resolve."

Travelled really well and could figure in some more races like that or at G3 this season. It will be a tough job to make £500k back from him though!

Re Archipenko - part of the idea of setting up Uplands Racing was that they want to breed quite soon, so the stallion prospect if he does well would have been attractive

Back