Sun Chariot Stakes

They didn`t go fast enough for her. If she ran to her best there that would mean Lush Lashes is the equal of Zarkava.

They didn`t go fast enough for her. If she ran to her best there that would mean Lush Lashes is the equal of Zarkava.

and how do you know that isn't the case?

i 'll bet Darjina gets a similar RPR today to her best

they didn't exactly walk early on..pace was probably pretty even

Last edited:
It may well be. LL would have destroyed Halfway to Heaven at Goodwood with a halfway:p decent ride from Mr Manning.

It may well be. LL would have destroyed Halfway to Heaven at Goodwood with a halfway:p decent ride from Mr Manning.

But Halfway To Heaven is not a 10 furlong horse...and she did not slaughter her over a mile at Leopardstown. Look how close Heaven Sent got to HTH at Goodwood and she was well beaten today.

over a different test though..how can you compare form like that with an accuracy?

be interesting to see what they do rate Darjina for today...bet you a mars bar it's no worse than 2lb off her best;)

But Halfway To Heaven is not a 10 furlong horse...and she did not slaughter her over a mile at Leopardstown. Look how close Heaven Sent got to HTH at Goodwood and she was well beaten today.
Leopardstown if anything conforms my thoughts, LL was far from her best that day because of the ground but still won, her class got her through. Heaven Sent is probably over the top.

Last edited:
I`m not talking about over 10F and Leopardstown if anything conforms my thoughts, LL was far from her best that day because of the ground but still won, her class got her through. Heaven Sent is probably over the top.

On a line through Nahoodh, HTH was not at her best that day either!! Arguably this was a career best from the Pivotal filly.

be interesting to see what they do rate Darjina for today...bet you a mars bar it's no worse than 2lb off her best;)

I'll raise you a Snickers :)

If they make Darjina 122 (her best is 124) it puts Halfway To Heaven up 9lbs to 123 and Visit up 12lbs to 120.

I think they'll give the winner something around 118 or 119 max.

I`ve lost my train of thought now. Forgot the race at Goodwood was over 10F. I had an operation this morning and I`m still a bit groggy. Shouldn`t be punting really.

On a line through Nahoodh, HTH was not at her best that day either!! Arguably this was a career best from the Pivotal filly.

I agree - it was a terrific run from HTH and AOB undoubtedly got her to run up to her best for the big day, in his inimitable fashion. Interestingly Francome said that save Darjina who still had a summer coat all the rest looked as if they were about ready for a haircut, so all the more credit to the winner.

My own feeling is that Darjina has just lacked that killer instinct to go right through the pain barrier this season, though I did back her today. 6/7 2nds tells its own story, though even that is admirable in straight Group 1s

Last edited:
Lush Lashes has probably achieved as much as Zarkava if not more. Both around the 122-124 mark.

Crikey, I always thought your partisan position were confined to Ballydoyle. I know which one I'd rather have running for my life.

Lush Lashes 5 from 9 (3 Gp1 wins)
Zarkava 6 from 6 (4 Gp1 wins)

I think the French have had a nap hand of 3yo fillies this year, and would probably start my search for the winner from the Diane and fiddle around from routes from there. If Lush Lashes has achieved more, its purely down to the fact that she's had 33% more runs.

I'd tend to regard the Bousacc, Puliches, Diane and Vermille as a more compelling CV than the Coronation Stakes, Yorkshire Oaks and Matron.

Their victories against other group1 winners is about the same, albeit that Zarkava's victims are weaker, but this is largely a self-fulfilling event given that her presence has prevented horses like Conference Call from winning Gp1's, where as UK and Irish fillies are mor elikely to be able to pick and choose from a wider menu. She's beaten horses who boats 8 group one wins between them, where as Lush Lashes has beaten 9. Both have beaten three tiemk Gp1 winner Halfway to heaven, and Zarkava did it by 2.75L's further. Both have recent wins over Michita and Da Re Mi. Zarkava beat these useful benchmarks in the Vermielle by 2L's and 4L's respectively, where as Lush Lashes beat the same two in the Yorkshire Oaks by 1.25L's and 4.25L's. This would indicate they're on a level, but it also conveniently overloks the fact that in running a race record time at Longchamp, Zarkava surrender 6L's out of the stalls, and was noted by the RP as being 4L's down at the first furlong, and still last turning in. If we were to give her those lengths back we might reasonaly assume Zarkava is about 5L's to 6L's faster.

Crikey, I always thought your partisan position were confined to Ballydoyle. I know which one I'd rather have running for my life.

Lush Lashes 5 from 9 (3 Gp1 wins)
Zarkava 6 from 6 (4 Gp1 wins)

I think the French have had a nap hand of 3yo fillies this year, and would probably start my search for the winner from the Diane and fiddle around from routes from there. If Lush Lashes has achieved more, its purely down to the fact that she's had 33% more runs.

I'd tend to regard the Bousacc, Puliches, Diane and Vermille as a more compelling CV than the Coronation Stakes, Yorkshire Oaks and Matron.

Their victories against other group1 winners is about the same, albeit that Zarkava's victims are weaker, but this is largely a self-fulfilling event given that her presence has prevented horses like Conference Call from winning Gp1's, where as UK and Irish fillies are mor elikely to be able to pick and choose from a wider menu. She's beaten horses who boats 8 group one wins between them, where as Lush Lashes has beaten 9. Both have beaten three tiemk Gp1 winner Halfway to heaven, and Zarkava did it by 2.75L's further. Both have recent wins over Michita and Da Re Mi. Zarkava beat these useful benchmarks in the Vermielle by 2L's and 4L's respectively, where as Lush Lashes beat the same two in the Yorkshire Oaks by 1.25L's and 4.25L's. This would indicate they're on a level, but it also conveniently overloks the fact that in running a race record time at Longchamp, Zarkava surrender 6L's out of the stalls, and was noted by the RP as being 4L's down at the first furlong, and still last turning in. If we were to give her those lengths back we might reasonaly assume Zarkava is about 5L's to 6L's faster.

For her last run, Zarkava missing the break did not help but the pace of the race sure did...it was a ridiculous early pace that basically softened up the lead horses for a finish that Zarkava produced.

Formlines with Zarkava and HWT are pretty weak given that HWT has clearly improved again this season for a tough campaign (as is the norm for the Ballydoyle horses). To suggest HWT is the same horse now as she was back in Longchamp looked pretty dodgy to me.

The fact that Zarkava beat them further (Dar Re Mi and Mitcha) is no surprise really considering the way the 12 race was run in comparison to the 6 runner Newmarket race....distances will always be extended in those sort of races.

So basically you are basing my bias on the fact Zarkava probably would have won by further the last time but for falling out of the stalls because every other piece of form suggests they are closely matched.

As for race title comparisons...surely DOM is odds on in your book tomorrow based on his wins compared to the French fillys? Of course not.

Last edited:

Is that any year or just this one? I ask because the Pouliches and Diane are really ropey looking events some years.

I`d also point out that Lush Lashes`s optimum trip is 10F and I think on fast ground over that trip she wouldn`t be beaten much if at all by the French fily.

This year;

My own suspicion is that the Diane will get stronger as indeed will the Jockey Club for being reduced to 10F's, as there seems to be a trend (especially in America) for horses with black type at a mile to a mile and quarter these days

That's Darjina's last run btw.

Six second places in six group ones this season. It seems a touch unlucky as she doesn't seem to duck it (I haven't seen the Sun Chariot yet). I guess she just keeps finding one too good.

At the end of last season I predicted that the opposition wouldn't see which way she went in the Queen Anne if it was quick. It was, but she went down a head.

That was the only time all year that she got her ground, until Saturday. I guess now it is time for me to concede that she is not quite the superstar that I was hoping for.

Very, very good filly though and one that we are fortunate to have seen run 14 times.

Back