Sunday 7th April 2024

yorick

Conditional
From the wilds of deepest Norfolk, currently grappling within Kathleen’s wild embrace, I bring you my stormy Sunday nonsense, knowing that as a punter with lots to say, I’ll admit to very little punting acumen. As the old saying goes: ‘Empty vessels make the most noise’ but in writing my blog, I hope that the racket I make will have some resonance with you as I share my punting hopes and frustrations.

Today I’m taking a Quixotic tilt at three unfortunate beasts.

William Of York - 3.22 Carlisle 7/2 Win

I was deeply impressed by this one when he beat Hello Judge last time out after a protracted, thrilling duel up the Carlisle home straight. As you may know, I’ve been a big a big Hello Judge fan for some time, for his exceptional jumping ability. That day, after watching the race again, I had to concede that William Of York’s jumping matched him at every turn.
Today they reoppose and it’s a tough call but I felt that William seemed to have a little more up his sleeve that day and he’s my pick. I’ll cover my bet with a little r/Fcst.

My next is:

Conkwell Legend - 3.35 Exeter 11/4 win

I won’t forget this one’s unfortunate fall over the course earlier this season, after he’d taken it up three out and looked to have the race in hoof.

He’s back at Exeter on similar ground and looks value enough here to warrant a bet.

Lastly, I rely on another of my noted horse:

Breeze Of Wind - 3.57 Carlisle 9/2 Ew

I locked on to this one early doors this season after he was given the chance to prove his staying credentials. He’s carried on improving and won well last time out over 4m at Hexham. Yes he’s burden with a resulting weight hike but I’m not done with him yet and am pleased to see that he’s back able ew at the price.

So there you have it: three horses carrying my modest end- of - season stakes. I hope they provide me with some reward accompany the sport.

Your desriptive imagery can now only be bettered by the triplet living up to expectations :)lol:) GL

If they live up to my expectations, they’ll all be pulled up haha. Then, at least the joy will be to concoct some descriptive imagery to share my woe with those who’ll recognise my misery as something they know only too wel themselves that’s racing. It’s love hate.

Thought I’d add to this as there’s an interesting point to point bumper at Exeter today, 5.18pm. I’ll go through a few of them (especially as Timeform has published utter inaccurate rubbish).

Go Johnny Go (owned by Simon Clare from Ladbroke/Coral hence I expect the money for it). It was a cheap purchase by Josh Newman (partner of Kayley Woollacott) and has had one run in a p2p bumper at Milborne St Andrew. He just beat another fancied horse in Posh Dude and I thought this looked the better division on paper but time was slower. His action looks like he’d appreciate good ground.
Locked Down Lad won the second division that day. Green as grass and a tricky ride (his dam is by Scorpion so that explains it) but he won 10 lengths in a quicker time. Will Biddick was scrubbing away and looked set to be well beaten when he suddenly woke up and flew home. His action suggests he’d cope with today ok and Will now rides which is encouraging as he had been declared with another,
Pyleigh Master won his only start too, a bumper well at Larkhill. He’s well bred and could well win this. I watched the race though and they were all plodding a bit so perhaps the form isn’t much. He will cope with ground.
Prophesea won on third start but these were all points. He won very well but not sure the form is much. He’s very well thought of though at home.
Mount Mason is also trained by Josh Newman but he’s picked the other one.
Klervia is second string for Jeffords.
Venus Queen scrambled home at third time of asking in a p2p bumper and form doesn’t look good enough.

WD with WOY, Ratpack delighted to get that ROYGBIV reference in too

Last edited:
Well so much for my analysis! The four year olds really struggled in that ground. Pleased for Prophesea’s trainer as they’ve had a slow season following a recent yard move.

Hiya JJ.

Thanks for your analysis. the winner handled the ground well, didn't he. He's won comfortably and connections' opinion of him seems valid, eh?

I often wonder about offering my opinions on races, afeared that I'll end up looking foolish but it's all about opinions, isn't it and I, for one, love to see an exchange of views and sharing the tribulations of putting our neck on the line. It's an infuriating game at times and that's the point of my blog, really: sharing the delight and woes of the NH game. I love it. Please do throw in your views, whenever you fell like doing so. :)

It was great to see William Of York jump so well and battle so bravely. He's a lightly-raced gelding and, being a Kayf Tara, may stay a longer trip. They're putting him away for the season, they say and it will be interesting to see him as a second season chaser. I like to see horses that jump well and are game.

I think hello Judge may be over the top for the season but he's another who jumps brilliantly and I shall certainly follow him in future.

Breeze Of Wind has proved himself to be a dour stayer who jumps well and looks like the type who may excel staying marathons, maybe nationals next term.

Thanks, also,

Conkwell legend? Hmm: worth a shot today but he wouldn't be one that I'll be following, particularly.

Thanks, too, 2017, for your supportive comments; it's gratifying for me to see your regular support of my ramblings.

Last edited:
Re your ?

Ratpack (Richard Hoiles) was calling the race & going up to the line he said something like William of York hasn't battled in vain today (Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain is, of course, one way to remember the colours of the rainbow)

Last edited:
Back