Sunday's Foreign Races

betsmate

At the Start
Some interesting runners tomorrow: Proviso making her US debut at Keenland, Godolphin going back to the well with Gladiatorus in Italy and a few rogues trying their luck in the Pardubice.

Auteuil knocks them both into a cocked-hat.

Long Run and Rubi Ball both go in the Grade 3 Prix Orcada, Cyrlight runs in the Grade 3 Prix Carmarthen, and Remember Rose and Mid Dancer go in the Grade 3 Prix Heros XII.

Best card of the weekend by an absolute kilometre.

CYRLIGHT - supercheval! I love seeing this horse's jumping, and the ease with which he (usually) outgallops the field. God knows when they'll retire him, he's still so good. Unfortunately, I'm called to duty for a Great Leighs transfer at Lingfield, and will miss the dear boy.

Is the Racing Post just missing some regional stuff from his record, or has Cyrlight never run outside of Auteuil?

All runs at Auetuil, Gareth - as far as I recall. It's not unusual for a lot of French jumpers to spend their entire careers there.

There you go then.

I see he has also switched stables to a Monsieur C. Aubert - had his last run for Charley-Farley in May, when beaten in the Grande-Steep.

Last edited:
Yes, though I concede that you may well have the entire Vichy Racecourse history committed to memory. :p:D

Auteuil knocks them both into a cocked-hat.

Long Run and Rubi Ball both go in the Grade 3 Prix Orcada, Cyrlight runs in the Grade 3 Prix Carmarthen, and Remember Rose and Mid Dancer go in the Grade 3 Prix Heros XII.

Best card of the weekend by an absolute kilometre.

Tony McCoy goes over to ride Temple Lord in the Prix Talahouet-Georges Roy. Owing to stupidly worded conditions for the Triumph Hurdle despite being a 3yo at the moment he won't be qualified for the Triumph due to having won a race in what is technically classed as last season

Should be a good days racing - Remember Rose is notoriously difficult to get fit by all accounts so can see him playing a back seat to the form horse of the Autumn Lord Mirande who despite being relatively old for a French jumper seems to be back to his best this season after a long break.

Fancy Cokydal may turn over both Long Run (who will no doubt go off far too short on ground that will be too fast for him IMO) and Rubi Ball in the 4yo Chase.

Should be a good day but expecting a few of the top horses not to be fully tuned up with the big races on Breeders Cup weekend next month :)

Mulryan had a falling out with Arnaud Chaille-Chaille over the way that Cyrlight was raced in the Grand-Steeplechase IIRC and moved all his French horses (Mid Dancer, Cyrlight, Or Noir De Somoza etc) to his new trainer :)

Cokydal has it to do at the weights I reckon, Martin - Rubi Ball should be spot-on for this after their run against each other last month (where he was hardly beaten far! :D).

Temple Lord should has a very obvious chance, and it will be good to see how Kauto Stone progresses, but perhaps the most interesting runner is Sable Des Dunes, who had fair form on the flat, and won giving weight away on his first start over hurdles last month.

Where are you getting the going report? I can't find one anywhere.

Fruitless journey for McCoy. Kauto Stone took the Grade 2 Juvenile Hurdle, with Sable Des Dunes third, and Temple Lord beaten into fifth.

Ground is given as 'Good' which is very fast for Auteuil, so could be some odd results today.

Sixteen is really something! Looking forward to seeing the race
It looks from following the BF page as if Long Run has won the G3 Chase

Sixteen wins the Velka Pardubicka for the third time on the trot.

ok - now Im REALLY confused.... RP and SL have it Tiumen ??

From SL

Trainer-jockey Joseph Vaner added to his incredible haul of victories in the Velka Pardubicka when Tiumen struck gold in the Czech Republic.

The 57-year-old brought up another milestone with a clinical defeat of odds-on favourite Lakreg, who was bidding for a third consecutive victory in the race.

Vaner has now won the Pardubicka six times as a jockey and seven times as a trainer.

Numero Due finished third in the marathon contest, while the British travelling party were out of luck.

Lucky Nellerie, trained by Ferdy Murphy, ran out at the sixth fence. Jockey Keith Mercer reported: "He jumped super, but pulled quite hard.

"He tried to run out and I couldn't pull him back on course."

Kim Bailey's Lucky Luk crashed out early on, while Mister Big finished in mid-division.

Trainer Charlie Mann said of the latter: "He jumped well and gave Noel (Fehily) a great spin around.

"It's very hard taking on these horses in their own backyard.

"The cut in the ground wouldn't have helped him."

Fehily added: "He gave me a great ride, but from four out I was always fighting a losing battle over his stamina."

Graham Smith's Super Lord fared best of the British, finishing seventh, while Irish raider Il En Reve, trained by Oliver McKiernan, was tailed off.

Last edited:
Correct Trudi - Apparently Sixteen was 2nd

A post there says: " A bit slow RP the first five are Tiumen, Sixteen,Numero Due,Mandarino and Pocci. Lucky Nellerie ran out at the 6th. Not sure of the others I think Super Lord was the best of the british runners "

Long Run belongs to the Waley-Cohens by the way: he's a 4 year old by good old Cadoudal, trained by Guillaume Maciare, and has a great record: Won 7, 2nd x 3 and 1 x 3rd from only 11 races!

He's moving to Henderson in November

Last edited:
That would have been the copytaker - I expect it was done over the phone in the old way, I doubt there is wifi in the Pardubice pressroom!

Correct Trudi - Apparently Sixteen was 2nd

A post there says: " A bit slow RP the first five are Tiumen, Sixteen,Numero Due,Mandarino and Pocci. Lucky Nellerie ran out at the 6th. Not sure of the others I think Super Lord was the best of the british runners "

Long Run belongs to the Waley-Cohens by the way: he's a 4 year old by good old Cadoudal, trained by Guillaume Maciare, and has a great record: Won 7, 2nd x 3 and 1 x 3rd from only 11 races!

He's moving to Henderson in November

My mistake - apologies. :o

I was listening to the Czech commentary, and the boy was yelling "Sixteen" at the top of his voice throughout the last furlong...........and for a good minute after they had passed the post.

Presumably he had backed it!

Last edited:
Long Run won the Orcada, but Cyrlight was last of the finishers in the Carmarthen.

Mid Dancer beat Lord Mirande in the Heros XII, with Remember Rose unplaced.

Back