Sunday's Foreign Races

A win, and a first Group 1 for Pat Eddery too I think, with Hearts Of Fire in the Grand Criterium at San Siro - Vale of York a close 2nd and the Cole-trained Mata Keranjang 3rd .

I bet the Italians are glad the Brits went :p

A Group 1 winner for Pat Eddery? That should ensure the Gran Criterium follows the Derby Italiano and is downgraded from top status.

Shame the Hays' horse was given so much to do - he made pretty eye-catching progress from the back of the field!

I take it DJ you are not a fan of Eddery's training prowess?
Could this just be the first decent nag he has had? It's been a steady improver, and full marks to Eddery for plundering the Stakes races on the Continong

Long Run won the Orcada, but Cyrlight was last of the finishers in the Carmarthen.

Mid Dancer beat Lord Mirande in the Heros XII, with Remember Rose unplaced.
Long Run was an easy winner in all fairness - though given that the ground was "too fast" in May at Auteuil you have to question the wisdom of sending him over to the UK where it's not going to be any slower. Also a bit worried that Sam Waley-Cohen will be riding for his dad.

Remember Rose always takes 3 or so runs to get him spot on but still disappointing to see him get beaten so far behind the likes of Tell No One. Aubert seems to be more capable than Chaille-Chaille at getting one ready first time out (Cyrlight and now Mid Dancer both improving on their FTO records) but with Cyrlight bouncing MD may be one to take on in the Haye-Jousselin next month so long as it doesn't come down to turn of foot.

Impressed with Allen Voren in the 3yo chase too - wouldn't surprise me to see him take the Prix Congress next month, in fact he'd probably be a pretty warm favourite.

Questerabad has some engine - very impressive performance from him but a shame we're unlikely to see him in the UK for a couple of years when he'll likely be past his best :(

Pretty impressive stuff. He's one of my favourite horses in training for purely personal financial reasons but I have to agree with Gal, what the hell has the animal been doing in UK, Ireland and France over the Summer?

I'm not sure it's purely down to Dubai being weak racing, I think it's a combination of the racing there been slightly lesser than it is over here and in Ireland and France and the fact that some horses are massively advantaged by running over there in the climate. That and the substance rules seem to be cloudy.

I'm not sure on that one?

The race he won yesterday was weak but the Duty Free had some bloody good horses running in it so to just dismiss the race on paper is a bit weak in my opinion. I think it's more to do with the huge advantages and disadvantages that different horses have there.

I only ask as I think it is plausible he has just come back to form, and to the best of my knowledge, there are no substances allowed in Italy that are banned in the UK.

The Duty Free was a really strong race, as were many others in Dubai; that won't stop people rubbishing the carnival though.

I was not referring to substances but that is the weakest race he has run in since Dubai and he wins easy. He just is not good enough for genuine European Group 1s.

Perhaps, but he dropped away much too early in his other races for it to be a question of him not having the class.

Back