Supreme & SunAlliance Novice Hurdles

LOL no - that really is kick the cat time
But the horse is only a 4 yr old against more eperienced horses, did v well to finish 2nd
Madly I didn't have a place bet on him, just a win bet - and none of my place bets placed! -
Rippling Ring just run out of 4th [PP paying 4th, not sure if Betfair was]

Should have taken Big Mac's hint that a hughe bet went on int he ring just before the off...!! ie JP's money

Thought about having a little bet on Choc for top jockey but thought it would possibly make the difference that he wouldn't be riding Franchoek (have backed Alan King for top trainer though).
So it's ironic that he ends up riding the first winner on one of JP's.

I agree that the races above are very hard to call though. There's very few, if any, collateral form lines between Irish and English novices. I like Trafford Lad and Venalmar in the Ballymore and don't think they've done much wrong but am perfectly prepared for the fact that they just may not be good enough at all. Maybe there's more potential chasers this year, both of them seem that way for sure.

And so it turns out ours were much better. Had a few quid on Fiveforthree last week so was alright but was in a very, very good Betfair position on both the second and third - thankfully in the place market as well as the win market. When Mouse thinks he has a good one, he generally has them on song for Cheltenham and I think Venalmar will make a cracking chaser. As will Trafford Lad in fact. There could actually be a few decent novice chasers in Ireland next year.

Best horse won though, considering his far from ideal build up

I wonder if the Irish are a tad overpriced in the next given how the Sun Alliance went and the fact that Ruby, again, has gone for a Mullins horse over a Nicholls one.

Very encouraging to see the Irish 1-2-3-4 in the Ballymore Properties.

Turned in to a bit of a sprint from two out really, and the horse with the turn of foot won the day. All four look lovely chasing prospects for next year though.

As I suspected, the Leopardstown form wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

To tired to look up whether they are all 4 proper Irish NH bred chasing types, but would like to think so; I've been quite disappointed over the last year or three by the dominance of the light French breds

Do wish Forpadydeplasterer had made up one more place tho :rolleyes:

Would love to say what a great bunch of novice chasers the Irish trainers have in prospect for next season but I fear I said something similar last season only for most of them to fall by the way side!

What do the time buffs make of the two main novice hurdle races? They looked weak enough beforehand but the first two in the Supreme really impressed me as did the challengers in the Ballymore Properties.

Galileo

Ratings for both races well up to standard, with first two in the Supreme recording figures in keeping with the class of the race and the meeting. The Ballymore exceeded the normal ratings for this meeting, with the first 6 home all recording good class ratings.

I don't know if it was reported elsewhere, but Forpadydeplasterer spread a plate during this race, so the unbalancing effect this must have had can be factored into this.

I have a bit of tweaking to do with the final day, due to the gradual deterioration of the ground, so will post figures later.

Back