Sussex Stakes

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Kingman has been confirmed for the race. Toronado surely the only danger but the Hannon yard are in poor form for them and Gosden is on fire . Also Toronado has had his problems .

if toronado is going to beat him anywhere it could be here with hughes' record but i think kingman is a better animal and will receive weight. he's rightfully an odds on shot.

Five years running the race has failed to attract 8 runners now. Become one of the most uninspiring Group Ones in the calendar IMO.

Hughes' record ain't gonna make Toronado any quicker, and Goodwood's the ideal track for a speed horse such as Kingman. RH's only chance is to burn the finish out of the Khalid horse, a task he already bottled in the SJP.

Anyone on here local to the course?
BBC lunchtimes news was talking flash-floods in Hove, yet Turftrax have the ground good, g/f in places at 3pm?

Brighton/Hove/Worthing all heavy rain and hail, thunder, lightning etc. with Worthing station flooded.

Saying that it doesn't sound like it's reached as far West as Goodwood so hopefully they've missed the worst of it.

Martin

Anyone on here local to the course?
BBC lunchtimes news was talking flash-floods in Hove, yet Turftrax have the ground good, g/f in places at 3pm?

is that the same Turftrax you quote on other thread re Ascot going...seems a good source of info..jockeys are another..you always get reliable going assessments off them too

When did I say they weren't reliable?
Reading Irish's post, they may well prove to be the most exact guide.

only pulling your leg

i just looked at the Ascot one from Saturday..you were stretching it saying the round course was GS..according to their map there was 2 furlongs of it only that was GS

Am I the only one who thinks Toronado will win this?
The form of this year's classic crop hasn't been spectacular when they ran against their elders. I also have got concerns about Kingman enjoying the track and the ground and I can see him hanging all over the place in the last stages, although a small field is going to make it easier for him.

i think Kingman is about 6 or 7lbs shy of Frankel.

i've lauded Toronado on the forum since he won the Craven..but i don't see him within 4 or 5 lengths of Kingman..

I hope tomorrow that they let him strut his stuff to the full and lets see what chops he really has

he ran last 3 furlongs at Ascot faster than any other horse there including the King Stands winner...sounds familiar?

lets hope the race delivers..it usually does

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks Toronado will win this?
The form of this year's classic crop hasn't been spectacular when they ran against their elders.

The Eclipse seems to be the only evidence of this, and that was a race undone by lemming like jockeys. Verrazano hardly advertised Toronado in any event.

OK seems I am the only one then.
EC1, I think the winner of the King Stand is not really a vintage sprinter in a world scenario view.
Surely we can assess Toronado's form in a more reliable way than looking at what Verrazano has done after Ascot.
NOT maybe didn't stay in the Eclipse and Varian's horse could have finished closer, but he has improve a lot since the Guineas. N Canarias ran badly in the July cup too.
Kingman looks head and shoulders better than the rest in his crop but I still think Toronado sets a very good standard and the circurnstances are in his favour.

if a horse beats a 115 sprinter speed over the last 3 furlongs after its run a mile..its some animal..it don't have to be a vintage sprinter..its one hell of a feat.

Kingman is a freaky horse..in the mould of Frankel

i won't be betting in the race..its one of those i will sit and enjoy..its too good to spoil with money

Last edited:
Looking forward to Champions day. Hopefully soft ground with a fast pace. This would be very interesting.

but I still think Toronado sets a very good standard and the circurnstances are in his favour.

Hard to see where circumstances are in his favour?
Last year, on g/s ground and one of the strongest run races of the whole season, it took him all day to pass the opposition. This year, on likely better ground and no obvious pace in the race, he meets a horse that absolutely skinned Night Of Thunder over a furlong shorter.
Be amazed if Kingman doesn't turn him inside out.

The opposition last year was an excellent Dawn Approach who got a first move on him and DOW who finished 3 lengths behind. NOT is not Dawn Approach and he wasn't at his best at Newbury.
Kingman is an delicate horse and good to firm and an undulating track is not what he needs no matter how talented he is.
I think is going to be closer that most people think and hopefully Darwin will ensure a nice pace for WC who seems to need a strong mile.

I think it will be fascinating but I do not like the in and out form of the Hannon horses the last few weeks .

Back