The 2006 Holiday Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Kathy
  • Start date Start date
Well, Center Parcs was far better than I expected. Our chalet was right out in the forest, so first thing in the morning a half an hour walk straight from the door with Barney was not a problem. The whole set up is excellent, especially if you have children as there really are so many things for them to do. I love the concept, and it all seems to work really well. Lots of wide open spaces, lakes and forests with a fantastic spa, indoor swimming pools and more activities than I care to remember for kids and adults alike.

The "village" was a nice place to go and enjoy a nice pancake or a glass of wine, and plenty of places to eat - from burgers through to some fairly posh nosh. We only went for 5 days, although our friends stayed longer. I would certainly consider it going again although we are off to Exmoor this weekend and I must admit, I am really looking forward to it, as I have never been before. B)

I'm away to Crete tomorrow for a week of doing absolutely nothing other than lying on a beach and spending lazy nights sitting in a bar watching the world go by.

I liked CRETE when I went there, it was brilliant I got on very well with the locals*** went to the same Taverner every night either before going out or on the way coming home.

Don’t go on the SAMARIA trek otherwise you'll be unable to walk for 4 days after it, be warned ....

I looked more CRETAN than the CRETANS :P (THEN) and most days someone would speak to me in GREEK/CRETAN...........

I've been several times before and can assure you there is absolutely no way I will be walking the Samaria Gorge!

The only exciting place I have been this year, and twice, was the Gold Coast in January (2 1/2 weeks) and April (8 days).

Next year though, the plan is for my best friend, Clem and I to move to the UK, do the 2 year working visa, and go abroad each weekend, and discover Europe.

I have this year driven through West Sussex, Hampshire, Surrey, Berkshire, Wiltshire, and experienced the natives of Somerset close-up in their rural habitat. Probably next month, I'll have the necessary jabs, get the mozzie repellent and sun cream, and visit Nottingham.

These strange places, virtually deserted since the advent of cheap package deals and even cheaper flights, have returned to an almost pre-historic state, with many of their inhabitants now quite wary of strangers, hiding shyly in the bushes and sometimes running, screaming, to the foothills for cover. I have pried out a few of their offspring with the lure of Mars Bars (some eat the wrapper as well), and it's heart-warming to see how their mothers very gingerly come forward eventually, murmuring unintelligible sounds, ready to protect their little ones if need be.

I've had a little trouble in remote villages, with young ones playfully scampering about the car, prying off windscreen wipers and shrieking at their images in the wing mirrors, but I feel that the more I visit, the more accustomed they'll become to other humans.

I can recommend trying a few exploratory trips into the English interior - well worth the effort if you don't mind leaving the luxuries of Dubai and the cheap plonk of Spain behind to enter a mysterious, almost hidden world. (I've just heard that Bruce Parry is going to undertake an expedition to somewhere called The Grampians next year. No human life has been seen there for several decades, and Bruce will try to find out why.)

I must admit, having stayed in the UK for most of our holidays this year, and I have been pleasantly surprised. We have been to the Lake District, to Chepstow, Center Parcs, Sussex, south Wales and now Somerset, and we haven't finished yet!

This weekend we have stayed in a lovely place called Dunster, just on the Somerset/Devon border. Our hotel room backed onto the grounds of Dunster Castle. It is a really lovely part of the country with lots of National Trust parks and gardens to see and of course the West Somerset Steam Railway! We toured alot in the car and visited Lynmouth - which I can highly recommend. B) There really is a lot of places to see and lots to do and so much better than being stuck for hours at airports and being banned from taking your lipstick on the flight with you! <_<

We came back from Somerset via Weston Super Mare, which, I have to be honest, is not my favourite UK seaside resort - but it is somewhere else in the UK I have now at least seen!

Six weeks today until we go on holiday. I'm so not looking forward to packing our cases. Of course it's always left to me and we'll arrive at our destination and Mr GG will ask if I packed this or that and moan dreadfully for the entire holiday that I forgot it.

I need a new passport so had my mugshot taken at the weekend. I compared the two, old and new, 18 year old innocent and 28 year old haggered mum of five thousand...................

The years have not been kind :cry:

Suny,

We went to LaMata earlier this summer which is fairly near to the village you mention...I think. Lovely beaches along that stretch of coastline and the wonderful town of Elche - palm tree paradise :) !
LaManga was immensely disappointing though, when we drove down for a look one evening. Guess you have to be a golfer or an international footballer to appreciate it.

Where in South Wales did you go, Kathy?

Originally posted by Kathy@Aug 29 2006, 09:14 AM
This weekend we have stayed in a lovely place called Dunster, just on the Somerset/Devon border. Our hotel room backed onto the grounds of Dunster Castle.
And you didn't pop just down the road to vist Philip and Sarah Hobbs in their Elizabethan house alongside the homes of Lacdoudal, Detroit City etc?

Brian, it's funny you should mention it. We kept passing a yard on the main road to Dunster that appeared to belong to a NH trainer. I was going to find out who it belonged to. The gallops are near the road and there is an amazing set of NH fences which lead up the hill to the main yard. Is that the Hobbs yard?

MarkEE, (don't laugh) we went to a campsite on the Gower Peninsula! :) It was our first trip out in in our motorhome, and as my OH's parents live near Swansea, we ventured a bit further a field before going home via the Brecon Beacons.

I'm not laughing. The Gower is beautiful. Wonderful beaches and mostly unspoilt.
I drove through the Brecon beacons yesterday. A worthwhile detour.

Originally posted by Kathy@Aug 29 2006, 09:32 AM
Brian, it's funny you should mention it. We kept passing a yard on the main road to Dunster that appeared to belong to a NH trainer. I was going to find out who it belonged to. The gallops are near the road and there is an amazing set of NH fences which lead up the hill to the main yard. Is that the Hobbs yard?

MarkEE, (don't laugh) we went to a campsite on the Gower Peninsula! :) It was our first trip out in in our motorhome, and as my OH's parents live near Swansea, we ventured a bit further a field before going home via the Brecon Beacons.
It is indeed Hobb's yard, Kathy.

You should have been donw the previous Friday, as that was Dunster Show, where at you would have been able to gawp at and admire the stupendous NewPole Belgian Blues, chatted with Jon (and Mu), laughed hysterically at me after I foolishly accompanied the 11yo onto the chairaerator, an eveil fairground attraction that spins you around horizontally and made me go a not-fetching shade of green and in general soaked up the atmosphere of one of our rural shows!

Racing; Chelt and Longchamp
Pleasure; Scotland, France, Rome, 4 X Golf away weekends in Ireland and New York (Next Week). I am planning a 6 week trip to Oz and NZ next year so will be winding things down after Christmas.

Two questions from previous posts...

London with the missus & 3yo next week

qzy, do you not find the hotel room is cramped when you bring your horse and your wife?

Kathy; does that big purple dinosaur not crowd teh caravan?

Haven't had a proper holiday yet this year but have the following booked:

End of September to Carlisle for cattle Show and Sale and general piss up, then across to Melmersby for a two day bread cookery course then home.

To be followed in October with a five day tour around Belgium, visiting several farms and more cattle...

I would have loved to have gone to the Dunster Show, Songsheet. It's lovely down there. Barney had loads of long walks on Dunster Beach and a few games of football too.

We also went to the first Rehoming of Racehorses show in Combe St. Nicholas, on Saturday afternoon too. It was good fun as the great ex 1960's jockey and trainer, Stan Mellor MBE was doing the judging. What a lovely man he is. He wasn't told the names of any of the ex racers in the ex racers class, and one horse stood out, and went on to win, it was Wahiba Sands , looking a million dollars! It was great meeting Stan and Tessa Westlake and her team and seeing the 15 ex racers parading, and looking absolutely stunning and all the horses, without exception, were remarkably well behaved.

I went to Dunster show years ago - when I was working down there, it was really good - much better than a lot of them. Theyre were joclkeys showjumping , and the commentry team of Marcus Armytage adn Luke were very rude and very very funny.....

That gallop is lovely to ride up too - but not much fun on Gold Cap - i like my horse to have their heads up, and to spin up there on one who had to have his nose on the floor was interesting to say the least!!!

A friend of mine many years ago was racing her Arab stallion (Saker). Her b/f used to be a lad in racing and they knew P. Hobbs and so were able to use his gallops.

Much to everyone's amusement, off Erika and Saker would go with all the gurt big NH nags to the start of the gallops and Saker would be given a bit of a headstart. He could leave them for dead along the straight, round the bend and halfway up the hill but inevitably, even the slowest NH horse would sweep by at the very top, as the stallion was a real sprinter and would find that last little bit at the top a real killer!

Looked so funny, as he's a grey and of course, their tails are always like flags even when they're racing properly.....

My wee breaks away are far from exotic i'm afraid. Usually come home stinking of horse crap, horse sweat and covered in God only knows. :brows:

I was in Gorey not long ago for a Qualifiying SJ show, beautiful part of the country. Prior to that it was a midweek Training show at Cavan and in September i'm away for a long weekend's piss up and shenanigans at the last Amatuer SJ show in Cavan, again. Having said although they aren't exotic they are mighty! Sleeping in a lorry with good mates, good drinking, good laughs and the major bonus of daddy babysitting, result! Plus watching everyone looking green and shaky riding on the sunday is totally unmissable.

Oh nearly forgot. My very flush brother rented a top notch posh cottage in Whitby for my mum and dad's anniversary in July for a long weekend and well, it only seemed the decent thing to do to tag along. My thinking was they need to see more of their grandson :D

Philip Hobbs is not only a top trainer, he is also a shrewd businessman. He got various quotes for his all-weather gallop - then made his own. He did the same with his equine swimming pool.

One of the best things about visiting the yard is the house, which dates from the sixteenth century.

I may knock on his door next time I am down that neck of the woods, Brian and see if he will give me a quick tour of the house and facilities. :)

Back