The 2016 Grand National

I don't think they did. Jonjo used to have his own but changed tack three or four years ago and took them down again. He prefers them to go there without having schooled them over national type fences.

Last edited:
Full praise to Alastair; Seeing him hug Mouse after the race I knew something special was brewing in that wonderful mind of his.
I do hope he gets his knighthood for services to racing while Her Majesty the Queen is still with us as his is a talent that very few people have.
Thanks so so much for posting the article DG.
Your OBE should be in the post as well !

Last edited:
He had his 'problem' and was quickly and conveniently consigned to the scrap-heap by the suits at Highflyer. It gave them the excuse to replace him with the broadcasting version of wallpaper.

How so? He was retained by Highflyer until their contract ended wasn't he?

Have always enjoyed Down's somewhat flowery style of writing. This article was no exception.

I am currently reading Brough Scott's Henry Cecil book - it appears at times to be a book about Brough Scott and waffles on at length about characters linked with Henry rather than about the great man for long stretches. He could do to take some writing lessons from A. Down.

I am currently reading Brough Scott's Henry Cecil book - it appears at times to be a book about Brough Scott and waffles on at length about characters linked with Henry rather than about the great man for long stretches. He could do to take some writing lessons from A. Down.
I was equally disappointed with it. Some of it is very good, but there's far too much filler.

I've never been a huge fan of Alastair Down ever since he managed to spill a pint over my wife in Cheltenham town centre but I'm thoroughly enjoying the Best of book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have always enjoyed Down's somewhat flowery style of writing. This article was no exception.

Every article Brough Scott writes is about Brough Scott. He wrote an article with JP once and spent a page telling the reader how he hunted around a horse and the last paragraph boasting about a horse that JP had a deuce on a gambled winner for him. A pathetic journalist, long gone at the game.

Full praise to Alastair; Seeing him hug Mouse after the race I knew something special was brewing in that wonderful mind of his.
I do hope he gets his knighthood for services to racing while Her Majesty the Queen is still with us as his is a talent that very few people have.
Thanks so so much for posting the article DG.
Your OBE should be in the post as well !

An excellent article made even better by the trolling of Bryan Cooper!

I've never been a huge fan of Alastair Down ever since he managed to spill a pint over my wife in Cheltenham town centre but I'm thoroughly enjoying the Best of book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it were my wife I'd have bought him a pint to replace it! :lol:

Brought Scott on a downward trajectory since he tipped Tolomeo to win the Arlington Million.
Alastair is at his best taking on hard targets like the Wildensteins and Terry Ramsden.

Back