The British Countryside

granger

Senior Jockey
Hello all

Caught a few episodes of Escape to the country recently and it does showcase how beautiful your countryside is. I'd love to get a chance to explore it.

Where are your favourite countryside locations?

Thinking places with lots of green fields, fresh vegetables, local pubs and added bonus if near a few stables.

Last edited:
Dartmoor and exmoor - ( pretty much anywhere down in the West Country really!) Cornwall is lovely as well - and Gloucestershire. [emoji3059][emoji3059][emoji3059][emoji3059]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Somerset. Unspoilt, we have beaches and moorland. Some great pubs too!

I take it you mean Racing stables? In which case we have Mr Pipe, Mr Hobbs and Mr Scott and a few others!

In terms of England, the Lake District is a class higher than anywhere else

Bring Scotland into the equation however, and its a different shooting match altogether

Or wales. Basically any part of the British countryside is gorgeous!!

Hadn’t realised how many of us were in the West Country [emoji16]

The countryside of our smallish island is amazingly diverse, thanks mainly to its complex geology

I don't have a favourite location: the 20-runners would comprise a field of 1/20 co-favs

Those mentioned thus far are amongst them and I'll just throw in the Malvern Hills and the Yorkshire Dales; the latter of which just about includes Middleham if you want a horsey connection

Oh to be in England, Scotland and Wales now that April is nearly here

I'll figure out a way to see some of these places. Thanks for the suggestions everyone and keep them coming.

Few life changes of late has made me revaluate what really matters in life.

My heart is happier in the countryside for one.

Or wales. Basically any part of the British countryside is gorgeous!!

I take it you've never spent any time in Lincolnshire? or Northants? come to think of it, Norfolk's pretty bland too. Leicestershire and Warwickshire haven't that much going for them either. Add South Yorkshire (well the bits in the A1 corridor anyway) the bits west of Sheffield are fine (although they tend to be called Derbyshire)

Scotland is beautiful all round (though I'd probably take out the part I live in as it is a never ending mass of wind turbines - South Lanarkshire).

I'd recommend the Fort William area (Glencoe etc), Galloway, the Borders, Grampian hills.

Rural anywhere in the UK is beautiful, from my limited experience but there are some stunning little chocolate-box villages in England.

I also find rural English people a match for anybody anywhere I've been in the world.

Hello all

Caught a few episodes of Escape to the country recently and it does showcase how beautiful your countryside is. I'd love to get a chance to explore it.

Where are your favourite countryside locations?

Thinking places with lots of green fields, fresh vegetables, local pubs and added bonus if near a few stables.

I like the Cotswolds in spring time.

Last edited:
Could we ask them to sort out Conor McGregor?

a2c0752c5eaa744c8e89f8581fe3334a.jpg

There you go :)

I take it you've never spent any time in Lincolnshire? or Northants? come to think of it, Norfolk's pretty bland too. Leicestershire and Warwickshire haven't that much going for them either. Add South Yorkshire (well the bits in the A1 corridor anyway) the bits west of Sheffield are fine (although they tend to be called Derbyshire)

I'm sure you threw in a couple of those just to get a reaction Alun! :lol:

I'm a confirmed townie - give me London any day - but I have been on holidays to the more rural areas of England over the last 10-15 years; just for a week at a time, you understand. The north Norfolk coast is fantastic. Hunstanton has a poor reputation as a seaside resort, but the views out to sea are magnificent. Suffolk's greenery is surprising. Kent is a but meh, but I did love North Yorkshire. Lincoln is not rural, but the cathedral in the city is a hidden gem.

Never seen an airport in Cheltenham ? Do you mean Gloucester Airport at Staverton ? Name dropping alert :whistle: Had a long chat with Nicky there one day while he was waiting for a private flight to Ireland.

Also Newquay airport is good for Cornwall if there is a connecting flight from Ireland.

Last edited:
Back