The Champion Bumper

Warbler

At the Start
Yep, ridiclious as it might seem the window is about 10 days away from closing on the identity of the 2010 Champion Bumper winner. Whilst most people are looking towards Goodwood and it's hideous over officious snobbery, the shrewdies who yearn for nothing more than icicles hanging off the south facing crags of their nose are starting to stir, because they know that July is Champion Bumper time.

I used to hate the bumper, until one day when I was playing around with a theory I was working on that drew something from criminal profiling and identikit offenders, that I suddenly discovered how easy it was to win. The secret seems to lie in when they made their debut, which is then reinforced with a win or second last time out, plus a strike rate of 50%. It's amazing just how regularly this one comes back, and yet punters appear oblivious to it. As I'm fond of saying, you can only get the correct answer if you're asking the right question, and I hadn't been asking the right question. I started off by reverse engineering the winner and looked for the sort of attributes I'd expect a horse to have, and therefore the sort of campaign pattern it would have been given to develop or demonstrate these. Bingo!!!

The logic is simple, in that any horse winning bumpers so early in their development is probably quite a precocious and a fast maturing type who'll be at an advantage until such time as they level off with each other in later life. The fact that such horses are kept to bumpers instead of going novice hurdling is another clue. They wouldn't be kept on the level and forgo a season unless the connections were more than just a tad confident they had serious prospects of picking up one of the three big bumpers in the Spring.

1: Won last time out
2: Debuted in an NHF race during or before July of the previous year
3: 50% strike rate

Dunguib - 26/4/08 - Yes
Cousin Vinny - 20/2/08 - No
Cork All Star - 14/7/06 - Yes
Hairy Molly - 28/12/05 - No
Missed That - 1/5/04 - Yes
Total Enjoyment - 1/5/03 - Yes
Liberman - 17/3/02 - Yes
Pizarro - 24/4/01 - Yes
Joe Cullen - 7/6/99 - Yes

Not bad, that's 7 out of the last 9 (77%) from a sample of how many qualifiers? Well normally, (and quite surprisingly) it's a fairly small number who fit the bill. :blink:

Last year for instance, at the entry stage stage there were just 4 out of 53 (7.5%) who had debuted prior to July 31st. Vivona Hill came out, so when they went to post you had a short list of 3 (that was 12.5% of the field of 24), for a strike rate that was 6 times that - 75% (and Dunguib would add to it). I normally draw the line at July 31st, but decided to extend it a week later to bring in Rite of Passage who debuted on August 2nd 2008 (and ultimately finished third) so the number fo qualifiers was actually 4 on my book and not the 3 stated (but that is to split hairs). There were only three serious possibilities as Abroad at 33% didn't have the 50% S/R a bumper winner normally has, so you were left with

Dunguib, Meath All Star and Rite of Passage (just). If you applied it strictly on the July figure, you'd have a short list of 2 horses or 8% of the field, who were covered by a 77% stat. Is there any stats race with such a large disparity in the win to qualifers ratio?

For the record

Dunguib won
Rite of Passage 3rd
Meath All Star 11th

So with just 10 days left, there is already a good chance that the 2010 Champion Bumper has advertised their claims, and if we limit the search to Ireland, then we must be in a position to ask for some nominations

Last edited:
Givus the winner then!!!!!!!

Well this is where teamwork comes into play. Anyone got raceform interactive? Anyone fancy setting it for a list of Irish bumper winners from the Ides of March 2009 to July 31st 2009 please?

I had a little diary note Galileo that said dig this one out come the end of July. It's not quite so tragic as it looks. I've been aware of the existance of this elimination tool for a few years. In truth I've picked my sample selectively, but if you go back a bit further you'll still see it bares up.

As a rule of thumb it enjoys something in the region of a 60% to 66% S/R and qualifiers normally account for about 12% - 20% of the field. Some of the qualifers can be dismissed reasonably easily though. A mids 60's S/R against a qualifer of 15% is in the region of 4.5 to 1. There's no shortage of strong statistical correlations in racing of course (3yo's do well in the Derby and fillies tend to farm the Oaks) but as I've suggested strong statistical patterns normally embrace at least 50% of the field. The beauty of this one, is you only seem to handful of qualifers year in year out, and they often get neglected too as other horses have left more indeliable impressions on punters from more recent successes in the Autumn or Winter

Well this is where teamwork comes into play. Anyone got raceform interactive? Anyone fancy setting it for a list of Irish bumper winners from the Ides of March 2009 to July 31st 2009 please?

I had a little diary note Galileo that said dig this one out come the end of July. It's not quite so tragic as it looks. I've been aware of the existance of this elimination tool for a few years. In truth I've picked my sample selectively, but if you go back a bit further you'll still see it bares up.

As a rule of thumb it enjoys something in the region of a 60% to 66% S/R and qualifiers normally account for about 12% - 20% of the field. Some of the qualifers can be dismissed reasonably easily though. A mids 60's S/R against a qualifer of 15% is in the region of 4.5 to 1. There's no shortage of strong statistical correlations in racing of course (3yo's do well in the Derby and fillies tend to farm the Oaks) but as I've suggested strong statistical patterns normally embrace at least 50% of the field. The beauty of this one, is you only seem to handful of qualifers year in year out, and they often get neglected too as other horses have left more indeliable impressions on punters from more recent successes in the Autumn or Winter

Only joking Warbler...great work.

I should be able to get the list of bumper winners tomorrow and will put them up here.

It's not that straight forward I'm afraid as there's plenty of horses who place on debut, stay in bumpers, and then improve (possibly the result of others going novice hurdling).

Dunguib - 2nd
Cousin Vinny - 1st
Cork All Star - 1st
Hairy Molly - 2nd
Missed That - 1st in a 3 mile maiden at Knockanord, but then came 13th in his NHF debut
Total Enjoyment - 3rd (but it was at the Punchestown festival so we cut him a bit of slack thus)
Liberman - 2nd
Pizarro - 1st
Joe Cullen - 1st

You probably need a list of the first two home and first four where Punchestown is concerned. I'd imagine that about 10% of the sample has already gone hurdling though. Another 20% might be squiggled in terms of winning what you might already be able to spot as being uncompetitve races. They'll continue to fall off the radar throughout the Autumn as they start to dip below the 50% S/R, or get injured. By about Christmas you'll have a list of about 9 or 10 (a couple of whom will be no-hopers). By February this will be down to half a dozen of about 60 entries. Bear in mind that by now you will have heard about dozen different nominations as the 'Mullins bumper horse' so you're dealing with similar size short-lists!!!!

There's about a 60% that any list you generated now using the 1-2 criteria or a place at Punchestown has got the 2010 winners name on it, but I suspect it's going to be too large to be managable. You never know though, you might spot something, and I don't know how quickly the list starts to thin out, as I only really look at it about a week before hand and see whose left standing then.

I think it would depend where you drew the line to start to start betting. My guess is that Galileos list could eaisly run to about 80 horses at this stage. History suggests that only about 3 to 6 will fit the profile come a week before the race. What I don't know is how quickly the list thins out. It could be that it's already down 60, and will be no more than 15 come the end of October etc

Now Warbler, I intend to run my Royal Scoundrel after taking the DBS race in Feb. How does he measure up ? Echo the great work comments by the way.

Royal Scoundrel's a weird one, because he won his bumper, but then you say he got a stone lodged in his foot or something? which has had to grow out. As such he's had his debut, so his re-introduction in February 2010 wouldn't be regarded as his debut - dah dah.

But he is sympomatic of what i was talking about in that having set him off early, yourself and Peter have taken a decision to keep on the level because you hold him in high regard, rather than starting a novice hurdle campaign as soon as he's fit again. He falls into a little bit of a no mans land therefore, but would probably be a qualifer, even if his win is a bit historical compared with the others. Mind you he's got retain a strike rate of 50% to beat the second filter, and run in the first 2 on his prep to beat the third (preferably win). If you're only giving him him the one run though, then the 50% hurdle is negotiated, so he needs a 1-2 finish in the DBS to qualify. Mind you, I'm not sure he's terribly Irish, but then Peter has normally been quick to tell us that Ireland is where his local courses are (Ffos Las excepted now) so we might stretch to making him an honouray erin

Sadly Dom, your filly has only managed the debut date filter so far, so I'm afraid you look more likely to have to settle for winning Aintree at this stage I'd suggest;). Mind you if you can coax a couple of wins from her, then she'd go to 50%.

Whats the maximum number of runs you're allowed to qualify? I've got it in my mind its 5? Even if few horses take more than 3

In the UK a horse can run in a maximum of four bumpers except when it comes to the three Champion bumpers (Aintree, Cheltenham, Punchestown). They can have a fifth run in one of these Champion bumpers but no other bumper. Of course in Ireland they can run in as many bumpers as they wish.

We might run the Scoundrel in a bumper before Feb ,he`s really back to himself now. However we still have to make our mind up whether to go hurdling.We have his full brother now plus another Anshan as a juvenile to play with.

First list of winners from March to the current date:

An Toileanach
Another Wexican
Arkose
Avoca King
Bachelor Lad
Baile Ui Cholmain
Becauseicouldntsee
Blackstairmountain
Blazing Tempo
Bold Buccaneer
Bostons Angel
Brog An Ri
Buck Barrow
Call The Police
Case And Point (GB)
Chu Chu Thomas
Clicksnmortar
Coole River
Corskeagh Shadow
Cott For Cash
Dare To Doubt (GB)
Dear Sam (GER)
Derrinlanna
Diamond's Return
Doc O'Donnell
Dumitas (FR)
Dunguib
Enterprise Park
Falcon Island (GB)
Fionn Tra
Fionnegas
Flash Scan
For Bill
For The Staff
Fruitful Venture
Glen Orchy Lad
Huckle Buck Shoe
Imperial Cascade
Kilflora (GB)
Last Draw
Lastoftheleaders
Liss Na Tintri
Loosen My Load
Louisiannabelle
Luska Lad
Midtown Boy
Milbig Lass
Mountain Heather
Oilily
On Borrowed Wings
Our Musician
Pay The Bounty (GB)
Premier Victory
Present Diamonds
Pretty Valira
Prima Vista (GB)
Quantitativeeasing
Quel Esprit (FR)
Red Hot Poker (GB)
Regal Athlete
Revelling
Rigour Back Bob
Rossdara
Rudi Tuesday
Schindler's Pearl
Spencer's Hill
Split Ear
Sutherland Star
Taipers
Tellherimnothere
The Book Thief
The Chazer
Theatre Festival
Tir Na Gcapall
Tofino Bay
Universal Truth
Western Leader
Whispering Hills
Wickham Street
Woodmore

Last edited:
List two...horses placed 1-4 in bumpers from March up to the current date:

Ad Idem (GB)
All Ireland
Amana (USA)
Ameno
An Toileanach
Another Wexican
Another Whiparound
Anshan Dreams (GB)
Arabella Boy
Arkose
Aughnacurraveel
Avoca King
Bachelor Lad
Bacher Boy
Baile Ui Cholmain
Ballinvassa
Ballyvoile
Ballywooden King
Baracas (FR)
Becauseicouldntsee
Beechgrove Lady
Benefit Evening
Ben's Folly
Blackstairmountain
Blazing Tempo
Bleu Money
Blondies Dream
Blue Monster
Blue Phase
Bobs Display
Bohola Lady (GB)
Boland's Corner (GER)
Bold Buccaneer
Bostons Angel
Boxer Joe
Bright Side Oflife
Broadway Allstar
Brog An Ri
Buck Barrow
Buoy George
Butlers Glen
Byeforthepresent
Cailin Oran
Call The Police
Calluso
Can't Call It
Captive Audience
Carra Coranna
Carrie Bradshaw
Case And Point (GB)
Cast In Stone
Catching Coins
Celia's Express
Cheer Up
Chip Tea
Chu Chu Thomas
Clarach
Clicksnmortar
Cooldine Run
Coole Avenue
Coole River
Coonagh Cross
Corkonian
Corskeagh Shadow
Cott For Cash
Daneva
Dare To Doubt (GB)
Dawn Choir
Days Of Glory
Dear Sam (GER)
Definitely Marble
Definitive Edge (GB)
Dermey Bowler
Derrinlanna
Desert Dual
Diamond's Return
Doc O'Donnell
Dolly Hall
Dreadnot
Dumitas (FR)
Dunguib
Easy Vic
Enterprise Park
Falcon Island (GB)
Fionn Tra
Fionnegas
Five Out Of Five
Flamingos Gold
Flash Scan
Flat Out (FR)
For A Finish (GB)
For Bill
For The Staff
Fort George
Forth Official
Frawley
Friars Hill Lad
Fruitful Venture
Galactic Warrior
General Phil
Glam Gerry
Gleanntan
Glen Orchy Lad
Golden Partner (GB)
Good Parade
Gortnagros
Got Options
Graceful Grainne
Granaruid
Gus Macrae
Happy New Year
Harry Hatman (GB)
Headford Flyer
Heather Sue
Hollo Ladies
Honours Graduate
Huckle Buck Shoe
Hughies Grey
Ikidunot
Imperial Cascade
Inside Shadow
Irish Elk
Itdosnot Botherme
Johnnyofcourse
Jolily
Kealigolane
Kilflora (GB)
Kimberley Diamond
King Of The Night (GER)
King Of Thunder
Kot's Terry
Kusadasi
Kylenamogney
Last Draw
Lastoftheleaders
Lean Times
Lend A Hand Son (GB)
Leney Lou
Liss Na Tintri
Loosen My Load
Lord Multifix
Lottoshan
Lough Coyne
Louisiannabelle
Lucky Oscar
Lucky William
Lucy Stone
Luska Lad
Mark Me Up (GB)
Melchizedek
Michelles Birthday
Midnight Lady
Midtown Boy
Mighty Snazy (GB)
Mighty Vexatious
Milanette
Milbig Lass
Milltown Flame
Miss Abrahnovic
Miss Mary Mac
Miss Pepperpot
Model County Lass
Mountain Heather
My Florence
Nakhab (USA)
Night Alliance
Oilily
Old Charm (GB)
On Borrowed Wings
Oscar Close
Oscar Prairie
Our Musician
Page One Two Nine
Pay The Bounty (GB)
Perfect Smile
Persian Gayle
Plenty Of Chat
Prairie Call
Premier Victory
Present Diamonds
Presenting Massey
Pretty Valira
Prima Vista (GB)
Primroseandblue
Qeasy (GB)
Quantitativeeasing
Quel Esprit (FR)
Railway Park
Rashella Lady
Realignment
Red Hot Poker (GB)
Red Star Boy
Regal Athlete
Reve Du Roi
Revelling
Rigour Back Bob
Rite Of Passage (GB)
Rossdara
Rudi Tuesday
Sainte Baronne (FR)
Schindler's Pearl
Scorched Son
Sheer Genius
Shirley Dimple
Skorcher
Sparkling Tara (GB)
Special Token
Spencer's Hill
Spider Bob
Split Ear
Spot The Boss
St Devote (FR)
Steel Park
Step Right Up
Summit Meeting (GB)
Supreme Plan
Sutherland Star
Sweeps Hill (NZ)
Swift Lord
Taipers
Teffia Rose
Tellherimnothere
The Book Thief
The Chazer
The Gripper
The Kings Sword
The Shepherd
Theatre Festival
Third Wish
Tir Na Gcapall
Tistobesure
Tofino Bay
Traffic Article
Trimbellina
Twelfth of Never
Ucan Bolt
Universal Truth
Urban Gale
Vardas Partner
Vic Mo Chroi
Walter Wallace
Waluigi
Wang
Western Leader
Where's My Slave
Whispering Hills
Wickham Street
Woodmore
Ye Old King Cooper

:lol:

Cheers Gal, a few more than the 80 I figured then.

Actually that's probably close to about 80 winners, and a list of 400 running in the first 4. I might have a go a whittling them down, and see what happens

They can have a fifth run in one of these Champion bumpers but no other bumper. Of course in Ireland they can run in as many bumpers as they wish.

Qualification
A horse shall not be qualified to start for an I.N.H. flat race if:
a. It has run in a Flat race or Steeplechase.
b. It has run in a Hurdle race as a three year old.
c. It has run in more than two Hurdle races.
d. It has won a Hurdle race.
e. It has run in six or more races of any kind under the Rules of any Turf Authority. (The restriction does not apply to the number of times a winner of an I.N.H. Flat race or a N.H Flat race run in Great Britain can run in I.N.H.Flat races).

That makes no sense. Is it to keep the likes of Barry Connell happy if they decide they want to keep running a winner of one bumper in winners bumpers for 5 years?

That makes no sense. Is it to keep the likes of Barry Connell happy if they decide they want to keep running a winner of one bumper in winners bumpers for 5 years?

Well no, the minimum age for a bumper horse is a 4 year old and they can only race in them until they are 7....so they couldnt get the 5 years into them.

I do not know why the rule is there but I don't think it happens to often that bumper horses stay in bumpers and leave aside their hurdling/chasing career just so their rider/owner can keep the ride. In fact I cannot think of one.

Back