The Champion Hurdle 2010

Christ almighty. How long is racing going to have to put up with that arse.
I don't get your comments DO - what has Claisse done to annoy you so much? As I've said, I believe he's turned into an excellent Clerk by most current standards (look at the shambles of Sandown last weekend) even if he didn't set the world alight in the early days. Bar one or two optimistic going reports, I think he's done an excellent job at Cheltenham.

Peter Thomas in RP

THERE'S one man who's going to get a punch up the bracket from me quite soon, and I'll tell you who it is. It's the first one that comesup to me and says: "Yes, I know we've had a lot of rain and your cellar's been flooded for the last six weeks, but did you know the reservoirs are still only a third full and there's every possibility Thames Water will impose a hosepipe ban by the end of the month."

Yes, I'm fed up with the weather. Or at least I was fed up with the weather - now I'm just fed up with the people who are using the change in the weather as a feeble excuse to start a row about the watering arrangements at Cheltenham.

Two weeks ago, I started hearing the old Groundhog Day chestnut about how we were looking at the very real possibility of heavy ground at the festival. Then, after 36 hours of dry weather, the prospect of good to soft ground became a very strong likelihood, as it always does, and we were quickly plunged into the debate about how best to ensure there was no 'firm' in the going for the start of the meeting.

Watering, of course, is the only way of ensuring we don't get bone-jarringly hard conditions, so that's the option Simon Claisse, clerk of the course, decided to take.

And then it all hits the fan, doesn't it. Up pop the folk who like to say silly things like "Why don't we just let nature take its course" and "What about all the fast-ground horses? They might as well be retired," and "What does he think he's doing, watering two weeks before the festival, when it might rain and turn the ground soft?"

The trouble is, Claisse will be under orders to produce 'safe' ground, in so far as any ground can be safe when 20 half-ton thoroughbreds are galumphing round it at full tilt, and the only way to do that with any degree of certainty is to use artificial watering. Until somebody comes up with conclusive proof that the supreme being is a racing man with a decent grasp of turf husbandry and an up-to-date copy of the fixture list, we simply can't rely on nature to do the job for us.

As for leaving the watering until much later, on the off-chance that it might rain, because the weather forecast that says it's going to be dry can't be relied upon - well, as Alan King said the other day: "The one thing we don't want is a fast-ground Cheltenham, because the carnage would be unacceptable. They're better off watering early and putting on a bit at a time, rather than getting to next Sunday, thinking 'Oh f***' and flooding it." Quite.

Leaving aside the colourful Caledonian language, I think Kingy hit the nail on the head. Sure, naturally watered ground is best, but you can't rely on the timing or the quantity, or even the appearance, of rain, so it's best to keep yourself ahead of the game, then the worst that can happen is that you get ground that's too soft, in the highly unlikely event of an unforeseen deluge of biblical proportions the night before the gig starts. Even-handed watering plus rain is always better than hasty and desperate watering amidst drought.

Having to explain to some grumpy punters why a lot of horses have got very muddy and some have been pulled up is better, I'd venture, than having to explain to the RSPCA and the general public why a load of horses have broken their legs and been carted off for cat food.

If, among the ranks of the Claisse-bashers, there is somebody with something more than a good line in ignorance, bile, self-interest and hindsight -a hotline to the big man upstairs and a degree of influence over the Godly mysteries of his irrigation strategy, perhaps - then let them take over the hot seat at Cheltenham and deliver us perfect going every time. Until then, let's leave it to a bloke who has a pretty good record up until now.

He seems to be getting lucky with the weather forecast this year, again, which is nice, but even if it all goes pear-shaped in the next few days, he's still done the right thing, so give the man due credit.

I don't get your comments DO - what has Claisse done to annoy you so much? As I've said, I believe he's turned into an excellent Clerk by most current standards (look at the shambles of Sandown last weekend) even if he didn't set the world alight in the early days. Bar one or two optimistic going reports, I think he's done an excellent job at Cheltenham.

He panders too much to the soft-ground equine populace. Good ground is fair ground for every horse. Watering it till it's soft - which he's guilty of - disadvantages good ground horses as well as fast ground ones.

The minimum hurdles courses on bot tracks are unique in teir own way and place unique demands on the horses, and it the uniqueness of the demands that make the Festival what it is. Why shift a hurdle away from its position, when it will hand an advantage to speedier types.

The cynic in me finds it hard to dismiss the notion that he's been strongly 'encouraged' in certain quarters to take this latest course of action.

It's all putting me off Cheltenham, to be honest.

Not sure if this has been posted on any of the 29 previous pages but have been to the official Cheltenham Preview tonight at the racecourse and it's been pointed out that Simon Claisse has move the last flight of hurdles further up the course so that the run in is only 160-170yds. Panel seemed to think this should suit Go Native ideallywho could use his speed in any sprint to the line.

Did they give any indication of how much of a change this is from previous years, Diamond Geezer?

Last edited:
Do you think?

I think this is becoming a pin sticker as so many go there with some kind of chance.

Do you think?

I think this is becoming a pin sticker as so many go there with some kind of chance.

I think he has plenty of speed and it'll suit him to step over the last and go on. The stayers in the race will need to get to the front earlier.

Binocular was beaten last year when jumping well, this race his jumping much worse and it looks a betetr edition of the race.

I know people keep saying this year is better, but you know I'm not so sure it is. I'm coming back to where I was at the beginning - that he's got the same two horses to beat and he probably would have won 20 yards past the post last year (...i.e. he'll be finishing, if back to where he was last year).

Very open race - not that excited by it in terms of standout performer but in terms of a spectacle the sight of Go Native, Starluck, Kyber Kim etc all hack cantering 2-3 out should be a sight to behold.

Very open race - not that excited by it in terms of standout performer but in terms of a spectacle the sight of Go Native, Starluck, Kyber Kim etc all hack cantering 2-3 out should be a sight to behold.

...indeed, I can barely wait!

That is mental. Punjabi hasn't improved since last year (which he'll need to as it's a better renewal) and Celestial Halo et al won't tee up the race for him again.

Interesting Ruby was saying they won't go on with Celestial Halo. In first time blinkers, he may have no choice. Surprising they are using headgear if they aren't going to make plenty use of him.

Is there a real worry about the pace or will either Russell or Thornton grasp the nettle and go on if nothing else will, thus ensuring at least a reasonable test. Surely that must be the percentage call?

Feeling stronger about Go Native than at any point before, probably because the vibes about Solwhit are off-putting. Still believe that pair can raise the bar from last year's race, with Punjabi to frank form with those who finished behind him on that occasion. Medermit has slipped under the radar a bit over the past few days and must be respected. I don't fancy either Starluck or Khyber Kim, and think Won In The Dark could be prominent early and give his backers a frisson of excitement before fading...

Surely, no one can bet on Go Native or any other race until after the 1st when we know the state of the ground. If its over water filth which I have a strong feeling for, Im sure he wont get home.

Back