The Cheltenham Going

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
From the Racing Post

Clerk of the course Simon Claisse on Wednesday maintained that the hallowed turf was in better condition than it was this time last year as he issued his first official going description.

"It's the third winter in a row that I am telling you I wish things looked a little better out there but we are in better shape than last year," said Claisse.

"The going is a mixture of soft and good to soft. My official going description of both courses would be soft, good to soft in places, but it's pretty marginal. The cross-country course is good to soft, soft in places.

"The seven-day forecast is for the weather to remain much as it is. Frosts at night, relatively cool although the temperatures may rise during the day towards the end of the week, which might stimulate some grass growth. The GoingStick ranges from 5.9 to 6.5."

Claisse added: "The second-last fence on the Old course is now in place, having moved for the October/November meetings from the bottomof the hill to the home straight.

"For races over two miles, two and a half and four miles, there is an extra obstacle to be negotiated. Three-mile handicap chases stay the same at 19 fences. Hurdles positions will be in the sameposition as last year and nearer to the winning line than we were used to from 2009 back."

The average race value is £125,000 which he said exceeded the horsemen's tariff by £1.8 million.

Tickets will be on sale on the day for the first three days of the Cheltenham Festival but Gold Cup day is expected to sell out.

Managing director Edward Gillespie said: "Our target for attendance is 215,000 to 220,000. Ticket sales are 195,000 and closing in on our best possible target. Hospitality is also stronger than it was this time last year."

Currently good to soft and just about perfect. Let's hope it doesn't shift too far one way or the other now.

Beautiful sunny day today. Chilly breeze this morning, but that went quite quickly and it is quite mild.

Ground is on the softer side of good as yet, but another day or two like this would see it dry out a bit more.

Am so excited and hyped up for my first visit to the Festival. I would be gutted beyond belief if the weather was to wreak havoc at this stage. Can anybody reassure me that the rumours of snow ect.. are only rumours:confused::confused:

Three-foot drifts expected by this time next week.;)
Still they've run the Gold Cup in a snow storm before.

Three-foot drifts expected by this time next week.;)
Still they've run the Gold Cup in a snow storm before.

They certainly did. That was the year of the Streakers and the cabbage patch roof collapsed.

It rained last night. Sunny early this morning with strong breeze from southwest. Just had a light shower, which is the forecast for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
From the Sporting Life:

Cheltenham reported light rain showers on Wednesday with the going on all three courses now good to soft, good in places.

Simon Claisse, Cheltenham's Clerk of the Course and Director of Racing, said on Wednesday afternoon: "We have seen some light rain today and the forecast is for further light rain and showers up to Monday.

"The acceptors for Centenary Day look fantastic and we have an extremely high-class renewal of the Stan James Champion Hurdle in prospect."

From the Grasshopper Gab;

Cheltenham Director of Racing Simon Claisse has consulted the pixies living underneath the second open ditch, and confidently predicts that the going each day will be "on the easy side of Good-to-Soft".

The sky will apparently be purple and the clouds made of candy-floss on Thursday.

Last edited:
The sky will apparently be purple and the clouds made of candy-floss on Thursday.

Sounds like the morning after a good Wednesday night out.

Ahh, sorry, that's the effect of nibbling the pretty red and white toadstool/mushrooms.

Last edited:
Rain during the night.

This morning overcast and sharp wind from southwest - more rain on the way.

From the Grasshopper Gab;

Cheltenham Director of Racing Simon Claisse has consulted the pixies living underneath the second open ditch, and confidently predicts that the going each day will be "on the easy side of Good-to-Soft".

:lol:...those pixies have been known to manipulate markets before!

Present indications are:

A few showers today. Very windy.
Dry enough tomorrow. Breezy with max of 10c
Light rain on Saturday 2mm to 5mm. Breezy with max of 11c.
Dry Sunday. Calmer. Max 10c.
A band of light to moderate rain crossing the area on Monday night into Tuesday morning 4mm to 8mm.
More showers Tuesday to Thursday, temps 10c in a breeze

There is no snow or significant rain or frost expected in the next 10 days.

I reckon the going will be good to soft, with enough rain before and during the festival to ensure it doesn't dry too much.

Forecasts will change, of course. But I doubt we will have any weather problems.

The first two races should give us a measure of the ground on Tuesday

these are what Good ground ought to be throwing up on the clock

Supreme Novice Hurdle - 3m52s to 3m55s
Arkle Trophy - 3m53s- to 3m56s

I'm going to bite on this.

EC1, could you do me a favour and put up your expected race-time-ranges for all ground types from Heavy to G-to-F, for the Supreme and Arkle please?

Such is my scepticism regarding the accuracy/truth behind Claisse's going reports, I'm happy to row-in with you, your stop-watch and bri-nylon sartorial stylings, and place some faith in an independent view of the ground.

This is a serious request, and I'd be grateful for your input.

Please note that any piss-taking on my part will be strictly limited to generic stereotyping of Time gurus as bottle-eyed geeks whose only real friend in the world is their flask of soup, and is not a personal attack on anyone. :cool:

Last edited:
Back