The Cheltenham Going

Warm but overcast yesterday. Rain in the evening.

Overcast again this morning, little bit of a breeze. The sun is lurking behind clouds, so it may get a bit warmer yet.

Will be watching the Country File's weaher report this evening as I find it is one of the more accurate weekly forecasts.

Reported to be good, good to firm in places on the new course. Is this the reason Kauto is getting backed over the last couple of days.

I'm going to bite on this.

EC1, could you do me a favour and put up your expected race-time-ranges for all ground types from Heavy to G-to-F, for the Supreme and Arkle please?

Such is my scepticism regarding the accuracy/truth behind Claisse's going reports, I'm happy to row-in with you, your stop-watch and bri-nylon sartorial stylings, and place some faith in an independent view of the ground.

This is a serious request, and I'd be grateful for your input.

Please note that any piss-taking on my part will be strictly limited to generic stereotyping of Time gurus as bottle-eyed geeks whose only real friend in the world is their flask of soup, and is not a personal attack on anyone. :cool:

i've just asked the flask and he hasn't got a clue..he's fookin useless as per usual when it comes to helping me out;)

i would think something like this ..some NH courses show even slower readings when it gets bad..so would be guessing about heavy ground

Supreme Novice Hurdle

Good/Firm - faster than 3m51
Good getting Good/Firm - 3m51 - 3m52
Good - 3m52s to 3m55s
Yielding - 3m55s - 3m56
Good/Soft - 3m56 - 4m1
Soft - slower than 4m1

Arkle Trophy

Good/Firm - faster than 3m52
Good getting Good/Firm - 3m52 - 3m53
Good - 3m53s to 3m56
Yielding - 3m56 - 3m57
Good/Soft - 3m57 - 4m2
Soft - slower than 4m2

Thanks for that EC1.

The sun came out at about 11.00am and has stayed out. Warm, sunny, with a light breeze. Good drying weather, Wee Simon will have his little hose out.

Old Course (Tuesday and Wednesday): Good, good to soft in places, changed overnight from good to soft, good in places. The Going Stick reading at 6.30am today was 7.7. The Old Course was watered (4mm) on Thursday and Friday (March 10 or 11) and was watered again yesterday (3mm)
Cross-Country Course: Good to firm, good in places (unchanged overnight). Going Stick rating at 6.30am today was 8.8,
New Course (Thursday and Friday): Good to soft, good in places (unchanged overnight). The New Course was watered over the weekend (13mm) and the Going Stick rating at 6.30am this morning was 7.8.
Weather: There was 3mm of rain on Sunday morning and it was dry yesterday with sunshine and blue sky. There's been no rain overnight, but there is drizzle forecast.

3:51:68 for the 2nd

no good to soft in this ground..those jocks are clueless..one said it was "very soft"..so much for asking jocks:)

He thought he was asking about his head.

Only watching it on tele today, but looks good ground at least and they don't seem to be hanging around either.

there is hardly any real dig if you watch their hooves..just the top flicking off caused by the watering

to put the Arkle time into perspective..it was the fourth fastest in the last 23 years.

its possible its just a bit faster on the chase course

Pretty grey and dismal looking here at the moment, about ten minutes away from the course, but dry so far.

Back