The Foxhunters'

I've gone Bradley and Chapoturgeon who really impressed me last time. My Flora looked a bit all at sea to me at Newbury, I have severe doubts about her handling Cheltenham but she's cracking mare and bound to run well. I know Chapoturgeon hasn't run well at Cheltenham but he looked better tha ever the other wek. Bradley will win anyway so it won't matter :cool:

Backstage is ineligible for the Foxhunters.

Conditions of entry state that horses who won races worth more than £20,000 after June 7, 2009 cannot take part and the Gordon Elliott-trained ten-year-old won a £31,000 chase at Ffos Las in August that year. ( Racing Post )

That's the one CL - it's a rule that normally effects ex-French horses running in points tbh, ie. those winning the 25,000 Euro Claiming races around Auteuil and Enghien.

Unlucky for connections but they'll be eligible for it next year.

A non-stayer at Cheltenham I would have thought . . . ?

With he and Chapoturgeon having stamina question marks, might the race be ripe for a long priced one to run into a place?

Last edited:
Luke Harvey copying you MONKERTY TUNKERTY backers with his fourfor festival on ATR. Barbers showed a bit of resolve there.

Barbers Shop had race fitness on his side today - run the race in 4 or 5 weeks time and Merry Vic would have beaten him IMO and BS will win nothing at Cheltenham next month.

Count Salazaar also qualified for Cheltenham today winning the Open at Oldcastle in Ireland - seems to need soft ground though so IMO they'd be better off waiting for Punchestown.

I'd really like to see this race limited to horses who've only run in points and hunter chases, nothing that's run under rules. My favourite Foxhunters was when Cappa Bleu came from obscurity of the pointing scene and won, I don't like to see old horses who've been good under rules winning it. I also think they should change Hunter Chases to similar rules.

A lot of HM's horses seem to end up in some form of headgear but I'd say BS was genuine enough. Kauto broke his heart in that King George. I wouldn't mind a horse like him having his day. Maybe it shouldn't be in the foxhunters but I abhor idea the notion of a veterans race at the festival so not sure how you do it.

A veteran's bumper limited to past Cheltenham winners might be a decent novelty race for an eighth race on a card. Not sure there would be enough of them around.

A veteran's bumper limited to past Cheltenham winners might be a decent novelty race for an eighth race on a card. Not sure there would be enough of them around.

Cantoris took at the 4/6 1/2 and 1/3 on Brave Inca and the race was scrapped oweing to it being a one horse race.

I'd like the entry criteria changed so that winning 2 HC's wouldn't be enough and that a horse had to have finished in the first three in an Open in that season or the one before (for the injury prone).

That said there are plenty of trainers who appear to be "pot hunting" with badly handicapped horses and don't realise how good some of the horses they're taking on actually are.

Back