The French Champion Hurdle

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
From SL

A total of 17 entries have been received for the Grade One Grande Course de Haies d'Auteuil including six from Britain and Ireland.

Willie Mullins had briefly contemplated running Hurricane Fly in one of France's biggest races but he will, instead, rely on Zaidpour, Thousand Stars and On His Own.

It will be a first trip to Paris for the latter but the County Carlow handler's other pair are regular visitors and Thousand Stars could complete a remarkable hat-trick having lifted the trophy in each of the last two seasons.

One of the chief threats could come from Solwhit who is seeking a hat-trick of his own following back-to-back Grade One victories at Cheltenham and Aintree.

The raiding party is completed by West Country duo Celestial Halo and Reve De Sivola.

The pair finished second and fourth respectively behind Charles Byrnes' runner in the World Hurdle in March but the former has since proved his affinity for racing in France when winning the valuable Prix La Barka last month.

Reve De Sivola hasn't been seen since chasing home Quevega at Punchestown; this will be a first run in France for the eight year old but his trainer, Nick Williams, is a regular visitor to the continent.

Sunday's contest is run over a distance of three miles, one and a half furlong

Hot enough race - Gemix has a cracking chance upped in grade here and his sire Carolotamix has just been imported to Ireland (I believe he's the only source of Linamix blood in the emerald isle) to stand at Coolagown Stud in Cork.

Nick Williams had a nice winner at Dieppe on Sunday in the 3yo Hurdle with Le Rocher.

Martin

The race should fall Solwhit's way. It might be 3m1f, but it's rarely a thorough stamina test despite the ground (not that Solwhit has much to prove in terms of stamina), and he still has a better turn of foot than everything else in the race.

He is the class-act - 9/4 will do fine.

Hot enough race - Gemix has a cracking chance upped in grade here.....

You reckon, Martin?

Despite his proximity to Esmondo in the Vivier (flattered, imo), he has an absolute ton to find with the likes of Solwhit, Thousand Stars and a couple of others in the raiding party. Only one of about five of the English/Irish horses needs to run to form, and he'll get beat, imo.

Only 50% of the runners in the Alain de Breil are trained in France. It seems UK and Irish trainers are finally starting to use their noggins, and sending good horses over for massive prize-money. Tomorrow's near-£100K pot is worth £30k more than the Triumph Hurdle.

Hard to see past Diakali in the race - I think he will comfortably reverse form with Blood Cotil.

Only 50% of the runners in the Alain de Breil are trained in France. It seems UK and Irish trainers are finally starting to use their noggins, and sending good horses over for massive prize-money. Tomorrow's near-£100K pot is worth £30k more than the Triumph Hurdle.

Great to see it but I'd love to see more Uk and Irish runners in their top chases. Looking forward to Seabass running on Sunday though.

Last edited:
I think he's improved since last year Grassy and whilst I agree he has it to do with the UK and Irish raiders he's racing on home turf (only really Celestial Halo and Thousand Stars with recent course form), step up in trip should suit him.

Always the chance however that he's just been taking on half-fit horses as the French like prepping for just one day each Spring/Autumn.

Lord Prestige big at 12/1 if reproducing his last run.

Maritn

Nikita du Berlais at 20/1 way too big for me. Has a lot of back class (2nd behind Thousands Stars in this last year), a year older and his return run was good enough considering it was just a leg stretcher.

There's always the chance one of the locals is better than the raiders but unless Gemix is a bit special they look to have it all to do.

Celestial Halo has surprised a few people this past season with another unexpected win, like he did the season before at Newbury. Can't see that happening here but he looks a solid ew bet.

Thousands Stars has gone IMO I would need a lot of encouragement to be backing him.

Sowhit, real class, stays and stands out like a sore thumb. Won't get a much better bet than him this side of Xmas...... looks nailed on to me

Celestial Halo's always needed a stamina test (staying on 7th in the St Leger) and the reason he's not been stepped up earlier has been Big Bucks is in the same ownership.
Hasn't the speed of Solwhit, and the blunder at the last cost him dear for that reason in the World Hurdle, but certainly has the staying power, and it might be a lot closer than the betting suggests between them.
Dual f/c (PMU odds) might be te way to go.

Mullins record here is outstanding but I have bet Gemix at 9/1

similar on figures for me to the irish horses
Thousand star is regressing for me
reve De Sivola not good enough
Zaidpour too hard season
Celestial Halo exposed
Solwhit , ground should suit but trained to pick in march andnew on the course

STS 173
Thousand 179d
Reve 177x
Zaidp 178
Lord P 177
Celestial 178
Solwhit 181
nikita 176
Gemix 179p

Gemix , trainer won this race 3 times,
the slight doubt is maybe this come a year too early , but his form is progressive, jumps very well and finished strongly his last run suggesting up in trip could even be a bonus

at 9/1 looks a good bet for me

Current PMU odds albeit to low turnover

Thousand Stars 3,5
Gemix 4,9
Solwhit 7,6
Nikita du Berlais 9,5

Others of interest

Celestial Halo 30,0
Reve de Sivola 21,0
Lord Prestige 12,0
Saint du Chenet 14,0

Thousand stars does tend to have a resurgence in June though..but he's going to have a tough ride against Solwhit etc.

Did anyone hear about Solwhit having a blister inside his nostrils that caused the bleeding issue? Would the vets know about it in Paris so if it happened again he would be able to run regardless? I thought blood in the nose was an instant out?

Nx

Did anyone hear about Solwhit having a blister inside his nostrils that caused the bleeding issue? Would the vets know about it in Paris so if it happened again he would be able to run regardless? I thought blood in the nose was an instant out?

Nx

The Australians used have (maybe they still do) rule of one nostril bleed youare in two nostrils you are out. That referred to bleeding pre race as opposed to on the day. It makes sense as one nostril implies local nasal bleed as two implies lung or tracheal bleeding.

Mullins record here is outstanding but I have bet Gemix at 9/1

similar on figures for me to the irish horses
Thousand star is regressing for me
reve De Sivola not good enough
Zaidpour too hard season
Celestial Halo exposed
Solwhit , ground should suit but trained to pick in march andnew on the course

STS 173
Thousand 179d
Reve 177x
Zaidp 178
Lord P 177
Celestial 178
Solwhit 181
nikita 176
Gemix 179p

Gemix , trainer won this race 3 times,
the slight doubt is maybe this come a year too early , but his form is progressive, jumps very well and finished strongly his last run suggesting up in trip could even be a bonus

at 9/1 looks a good bet for me

I've no idea where you get your rating for Gemix, suny. He is nearer two-stone behind Solwhit on all known form, not 2lbs.

I've no idea where you get your rating for Gemix, suny. He is nearer two-stone behind Solwhit on all known form, not 2lbs.

This is my rating

if you believe the rpr figures for french racing.......

I dont rate Slwhit muc better than Thousand Star
and just on offical french ratings
Gemix is only 6 pounds behind, and I ahve the feeling the overrated TS over there

Diakali impressive. Shame he wasn't ridden with the same relative restraint in the Triumph.

Last edited:
Diakali impressive. Shame he wasn't ridden with the same relative restraint in the Triumph.

All he's doing is franking the Our Conor form, Euro - Triumph result wouldn't have been any different regardless of how he was ridden, imo. :cool:

Back