The French Champion Hurdle

good enough effort from solwhit. winner has ran a stormer. i wonder if mullins has ever been tempted to run quevega in this? not like she ever has a long season.

winner is top class
even jumping a little bit to his right

this is very serious form
Quevega would not have won at her best here

Mullins record here is outstanding but I have bet Gemix at 9/1

similar on figures for me to the irish horses
Thousand star is regressing for me
reve De Sivola not good enough
Zaidpour too hard season
Celestial Halo exposed
Solwhit , ground should suit but trained to pick in march andnew on the course

STS 173
Thousand 179d
Reve 177x
Zaidp 178
Lord P 177
Celestial 178
Solwhit 181
nikita 176
Gemix 179p

Gemix , trainer won this race 3 times,
the slight doubt is maybe this come a year too early , but his form is progressive, jumps very well and finished strongly his last run suggesting up in trip could even be a bonus

at 9/1 looks a good bet for me

I followed you in at 9/1, sunybay. Well done and thanks. I wouldn't have had a bet otherwise. Adds to a corking weekend!!

winner is top class
even jumping a little bit to his right

this is very serious form
Quevega would not have won at her best here

There's no real reason to think that Solwhit didn't run his race, and whilst I suspect it's below the level he ran to at Cheltenham and Aintree, it wouldn't be by a huge amount, and it's probably a decent race alright, suny.

It's certainly better than Euro contends.

It's certainly better than Euro contends.

It probably is and I'm just a tad annoyed I persuaded myself to have a tenner on Reve de Sivola. But staying hurdles leave me cold and between that and Nadal boring me to ******* death at Roland Garros I'm in a bad mood.

Other than the fact that it was Nicolas' father Jehan who won the race three times Suny was spot on. Definitely top class form and probably only a healthy Big Buck's would be a higher rated stayer than this winner.

Last edited:
Other than the fact that it was Nicolas' father Jehan who won the race three times Suny was spot on. Definitely top class form and probably only a healthy Big Buck's would be a higher rated stayer than this winner.

I wouldn't have it rated higher than Solwhit's Aintree effort myself, as I think he's run a few lbs below that mark. The race was a little bit of an afterthought, and the ground has probably been against him a touch too.

That said, the form seems solid, and is almost certainly high-class. I think the winner has probably run in the early-160's, though I can see how a different interpretation could push those numbers up. Hard to rate it much lower, in my view.

Regardless of the fact he was beaten, you have to give credit to connections for the way in which they have brought Solwhit back this season. He is such a fantastic little horse.

Last edited:
Regardless of the fact he was beaten, you have to give credit to connections for the way in which they have brought Solwhit back this season. He is such a fantastic little horse.

Very true, they've done a great job to "re-invent" him at the top level.

I can't remember seeing another jump race where the field has been spread across the course as was the case in France today. Any reason why?

Good to hear he's recovered. TBH I thought Thousand Stars lacked the fight at Aintree he had shown in previous years. 9 years old coming on 10 age is probably catching up with him

Mullins is a genius and he could find another race somewhere for him but it's unlikely to be at Aintree or France IMO..... those days look well and truly gone.

Talking of age Gemix at 5 years showed a lot of maturity and won like a horse going places.

Solwhit has hacked up with Gemix out of the race so the form looks rock solid.

The only question with him is would he be as effective if asked to hump 11st10lbs round Cheltenham?

As much as I feared this might happen I failed to see how Suny worked out he was as closely rated to Solwhit so very well done hope you had plenty on

Hot enough race - Gemix has a cracking chance upped in grade here and his sire Carolotamix has just been imported to Ireland (I believe he's the only source of Linamix blood in the emerald isle) to stand at Coolagown Stud in Cork.

Nick Williams had a nice winner at Dieppe on Sunday in the 3yo Hurdle with Le Rocher.

Martin

Outstanding tipping Martin :thumbsup:

Back