The importance of half-decent grammar?

It all depends on the context, though, gigilo.

On a forum like this it's easy to make allowances (no patronising intended) but where accuracy of communication is important then grammar and spelling are crucial.

My own view is that if I'm in a position to write correctly and accurately then I'm morally bound to do so, as a way of doing my bit to set a positive example.

If that pisses people off, it's something I have to live with. I can curse and swear with the best of them but tend only to do so for (usually comic) effect. Same with poor grammar and spelling.

On Sundays I read aloud in church. I often wonder if the people I chat to outside after the service wonder why I talk like Rab C Nesbitt in general conversation yet from the lectern I sound like a TV documentary narrator.

I have heard up speak on numerous occasions. You sound more like Kirsty Wark than Rab C Nesbitt.

I haven't bought the Timeform annuals for several years so can't comment on any decline in standards; but their longer essays were a joy to read and were notable grammatically for the not infrequent use of the em-dash, which is rarely seen now, having largely been replaced by parentheses or the en-dash

I appreciate prose with correct grammar and punctuation because I was taught the accepted rules at er...Grammar School; but, like language, the written word is constantly changing and evolving so I don't get too hung up about what I perceive to be grating syntax and the use of commas to separate clauses rather than semi-colons :)

The effect on the reader of the contents is what really matters, not how the words are bundled together; though if they are exquisitely constructed the impact is likely to be greater

The boy done great

I can confirm that the grammatical quality of 'Chasers & Hurdlers' is still well within the acceptable range, and the content of the essays are still a joy to read.

'Racehorses' is probably shite though.

Back