The July Cup

Guest_

At the Start
Cracking bunch of sprinters around this season...

Kingsgate Native sets the standard, impressive to see him get the full 6 furlongs so well seeing as he looked just like a 5 furlong speed ball last season.

Two I have invested in for the race tonight are Marchand D'Or and Jupiter Pluvius. Thought the French horse ran an absolute blinder at Ascot on ground probably too fast and from a draw that did not suit. His form was up held earlier in the Kings Stand and he looks sure to run his race. On good to firm ground he still has a chance but if we get a wet spell then all the better.

Jupiter Pluvius might not be an obvious one, plenty will have been disappointed with his Jersey run, I wasn't. This horse is all speed and his wins over 7 furlongs last year gave the impression a mile would suit. I expect massive improvement (which admittidly will be required) when he takes his place in this and 16s or bigger a great e/w price.

Of the others I don't buy the excuses for Sakhee Secret, complaining about the ground not being fast enough at Ascot!??! Fleeting Spirit could be interesting if returning to her very best, but I think its asking alot of her to recapture that huge winning effort on her seasonal debut. Another at a big price could be Winker Watson but I am not sure what plans they have for him.

I thought that Sahkee's Secret looked as though he'd been at the pies at Ascot and he should be able to improve on his effort there.

Kingsgate Native somewhat surprised me with his superb win in the Golden Jubliee. He seems to have made normal improvement from 2 to 3 which is unusual for a colt which had seemed such a "made" 2-y-o last year.

Sakhee's Secret's Ascot run was so bad that you can put a line through it. He wouldn't be the first horse to hate the new Ascot. Haven't strong view on the race but I must say my thought re; Jupiter Pluvius was more not really a Group horse rather than July Cup winner after the Jersey.

Fleeting Spirit is waiting for the Nunthorpe, according to today's Guardian. Noseda has "shut up shop". She had a temperature after Ascot, says the article.

The July meeting is usually a horror show for me so i`m gonna be a layer only. The favourite was flattered by the draw in the Jubilee and will be too short come the day.

Shame he´s going to miss it, think War Artist has a good shot in this - improved in leaps and bounds since his first run over here :)

I think Suny is right.....looks out of love with the game. Happy enough with investments in the French horse and JP.

Ground is currently good to firm, due to stay like that?

Jupiter Pluvius certainly wasn't suited by the steady pace last time in the Jersey, but I'm just not sure he's up to this level.

I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing Raven's Pass.

Abraham Lincoln (IRE)
Aeroplane 5.h
Assertive 5.h
Astronomer Royal (USA) 4.c
Benbaun (IRE) 7.g
Diabolical (USA) 5.h
Fat Boy (IRE) 3.c
Georgebernardshaw (IRE) 3.c
Jupiter Pluvius (USA) 3.c
Kingsgate Native (IRE) 3.c
Les Arcs (USA) 8.g
Marchand d'Or (FR) 5.g
New Freedom (BRZ) 7.g
Off The Record 4.c
Prime Defender 4.c
Seachange (NZ) 6.m
Sir Gerry (USA) 3.c
Us Ranger (USA) 4.c
Utmost Respect 4.g
War Artist (AUS) 5.g
Zidane 6.g

Last edited:
For me the Jubille form is very iffy. The loose ground and the way the draw played out means we could have a big reversal here. I respect the favourite but don`t think War Artist and Sir Gerry are anything like up to winning Group 1`s. I like the French horse and I dunno what AOB`s plans are but Astronomer Royal ran well from a poor draw and if he runs should be available at 30+ on the day. Decent enough.

Is Jupiter a star??

He has the correct profile to cause an upset and Ballydoyle are hot.
K.N.--logical fav but may have been helped by Jubilee draw bias.
A high draw with Johnnie up and Ladbrokes now 10/1 will be long gone---softer ground will inconvenience Jupiter Pluvius much less than others.

They had 15mm yesterday, and 12 more forecast for tomorrow. The ground is currently "good". The word soft will surely appear in the going then for the July Cup which must mean Marchand D'Or will go off favourite.

Final decs...

(4) Assertive Richard Hughes
(5)Astronomer Royal (USA) Ryan Moore
(1)Benbaun (IRE) (Visor) F. M. Berry
(6) Diabolical (USA) L. Dettori
(2)Les Arcs (USA) John Egan
(9)Marchand d'Or (FR) D. Bonilla
(11)Off The Record T. P. Queally
(3)Prime Defender Michael Hills
(12) Us Ranger (USA) J. Murtagh
(10)Utmost Respect Paul Hanagan
(7)War Artist (AUS) Kerrin McEvoy